U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 537,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I stopped for a schoolbus with his red flashers on today, and later realized it was an empty but (except for driver) making a left turn into the schoolyard at the end of the day.

No children were anywhere around, not on the bus, not waiting for the bus, nada.

Are bus drivers allowed to use their flashers to give themselves right of way to make turns like that? Aren't the flashers just for when kids are getting on or off the bus?
The only way a school bus lights can be flashing red is if the bus driver activates the the lights and then opens the door. If he was driving with his stop lights on and door open, he should be drug tested immediately. Because something is seriously wrong with that bus driver. Driving like that would also cause damage to the bus equipment. Since the stop arm is not designed to be extended while the bus is being driven. That bus driver is a serious danger. If you see it happen again try to get a picture or video of it, and turn it over to the police.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 08-25-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:18 PM

1,547 posts, read 475,941 times
he was stopped in the road to make his left turn; I saw the red stop signs out.

I don't think he's under the influence of anything but ego.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:45 AM

1,041 posts, read 467,865 times
Just call the transportation office of the school district....usually on tape. Inew drivers will make mistakes like that....he may have forgotten it was on, after waiting for a train...believe me, you get really focussed looking down the track. If that is the worst thing you saw this week, you need to get out more...or go spend five minutes in the hallway if the junior high. FedEx can hire criminals, school districts usually don't.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:43 AM

um, train?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 PM

1,041 posts, read 467,865 times
Yeah, school buses are required to stop at all train tracks, and put out the arm, so the door is going to be opened. Usually, there is some one behind you, who starts honking their horn, and you need to do a quick visual down a few sets of tracks, both ways...keeping in mind that a 50 mph train covers 75 feet per second...and then you proceed, and it is not unheard of for people to proceed before closing their door and killing the red lights and arm. I was more concerned about the 17 yo Salvadoran putting his hands on the 13 yo girl in 8th grade science class.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 PM

95 posts, read 26,656 times
I never understood the purpose of stopping and looking through the door to see if a train is coming. If you can't see a train coming through the windows on the door, opening the door itself won't help that much.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
he was stopped in the road to make his left turn; I saw the red stop signs out.

I don't think he's under the influence of anything but ego.
Well he is damaging the bus's safety equipment and driving recklessly. There must be some reason for his bizarre behavior.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I never understood the purpose of stopping and looking through the door to see if a train is coming. If you can't see a train coming through the windows on the door, opening the door itself won't help that much.
It's an additional safety precaution, so the bus driver can hear if a train is approaching. The bus driver's view of the train could be blocked by other vehicles, another train, or whatever. By requiring the bus driver to stop, open the door, look both ways, and listen for the train, he can be relatively certain that no train is coming. If an individual driver is not paying enough attention and drives into the path of a train, that driver will pay the price. If a school bus driver is not paying enough attention, and drives into the path of a train, 50 kids will pay the price. So that's the reason that bus drivers, and some other commercial vehicle drivers must take additional safety precautions.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

19,702 posts, read 20,202,554 times
Let's be realistic here. How many seconds did you lose because a school bus had it's flashers on in order to get through the intersection?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM

1) not an intersection, making a left turn from the highway into a driveway.

2) not just me, every car on the highway had to stop. I'd guess that he does this every day. So, hundreds of people a year stop for 30 seconds, just because this driver thinks he shouldn't have to wait to make a turn like everybody else?

3) What other bad habits does this driver engage in? He's probably one of the buses that drive right down the middle of our narrow, unstriped roads and refuse to let other drivers pass even when children are not involved (I see this regularly). Is somebody on this kind of power trip a good influence on the children he drives?

4) enough people ignore red flashers on school buses when they are actually loading or offloading kids. What kind of message does this send to other drivers? That flashers are just for the bus driver's convenience? Why should anybody ever stop for them?

5) how did trains even get into this discussion? There are no trains on the island--except in the train museum. There are no tracks to cross anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education