U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM

13,403 posts, read 1,869,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
and what year were they born (or approximate.)

Great Grandparents? If you know

Father's Side:

My Great Grandfathers (b, 1880s) - one had a college degree, no clue about the other, I never heard him mentioned much
My Grandfather (b. 1906)- PhD and became a professor
My Grandmother (b. 19120- 4 year degree, was a nurse

Mother's Side:

Great Grandparents (1890s)- no college, nothing beyond grade school
Grandmother (1915)- no education beyond 6th grade
Grandfather (1912)- finished high school, was in the army a while, no other formal education

As you can see, it is a wide range. No one was wealthy, but my father's side always had decent jobs and were self sufficient. My Mother grew up very poor and always struggled. But it seems that every generation gets a little better and my mom and her siblings (6 of them) did much better, 3 of them earning college degrees and all of them having steady work that paid the bills.
My grandfather had a bachelors degree and my other one had a GED with some technical college or whatever after the war.My grandmother had a bachelors and my other one was a high school grad.I know one of my great-grandfathers had a bachelors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 507,328 times
Maternal Grandparents

Grandfather b. 1892, d. 1942 - Not sure how far he went with his education. I do know he was with the Norwegian Merchant Marines for a number of years. One of the things he did was assist in bringing over the Red Cross Nurses during WWI.

Grandmother - b. 1901, d. 2005 - Not sure with her either. She and my grandfather had moved to upstate NY and away from the Bronx, where they lived when they first came to the US, and started a dairy farm in 1935. With my grandfather's passing from a heart attack when my mom was 4, she had to relinquish the farm in order to receive welfare (which at that time was ONLY for widows with children, and she had 2), although they didn't move form the property. She worked as a janitor for one of the local schools for a time.

Paternal Grandparents

Grandfather b. 1908, d. 1991 - He attended Cornell for veterinary studies. He didn't finish, though - my father says it was because he met and married my grandmother, and one of dad's sisters said it was because he partied a little too much and was kicked out. So YMMV. He did become a USPS employee (as did my g-grandfather) and helped run the family business, a general store and Esso gas station in Round Top, NY. He also was a NYS Conservation Officer, and also worked for a company that manufactured truck bodies. He also served on Guam in WWII, in the Army Postal Corps.

Grandmother b. 1912, d. 1993 - She graduated from Cornell, as did a number of her relatives, earning a degree in Homemaking/Household Sciences, which came in handy when it came to being a wife and a mother of 6 kids. She was actually a well-known (in the Catskill area) as a quilter, weaver and seamstress.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM

1,513 posts, read 456,851 times
grandparents were all born before 1900:

Father's side: both came over from Italy, probably attended whatever gradeschool was available in their town. Nono was a stone mason, helped build the train tunnels through the Sierra near Reno. Nona worked as a seamstress for Levis (yup, she sewed your new blue jeans!)

Mother's side: both born here in US, grandfather was adopted. I think he was a mechanic (died years before I was born). Grandma worked as a telephone operator.

Parents, both born in early 1920s:
Dad joined the marines at age 15 (lied about his age), but went to college in the 1970s.
Mom went to nursing school after high school, then into the navy, where she met dad. She also went to college in the 1970s. Her geology class taught me everything I know about rocks.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:26 PM

2,733 posts, read 3,963,458 times
My grandfathers and grandmothers on both sides only attended grade school. I'm not sure how far each went.

My dad graduated from the 8th grade and was not allowed to go to high school by my grandfather, a strict Dutchman. His actual words to my father--"Enough of this foolishness, it's time to go to work". This man had a math aptitude like no other. What he was capable of calculating in his head was astounding. It's no wonder that his grandson is a HS math teacher.

My mother graduated from high school, but her family was as poor as church mice, thus she wasn't able to go to college. She always wanted to be a teacher and she would have been great at it.

Because my dad was not allowed to do anything, whatever activity I chose to pursue was OK by him. He made sure that I had every opportunity in the world whether it be school activities or being able to attend college. On my father's side I was the first person to ever graduate from college.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM

7,977 posts, read 3,759,796 times
The harsh reality of the Great Depression. My maternal grandfather got his BA at age 70. Mom went to an Ivy on a scholarship. My paternal grandfather died young and didn't have that opportunity. My uncle went to MIT and my dad went to Amherst and got a DMD from an Ivy.

Before WW II, that was the story of much of the country no matter how much drive and aptitude you had.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM

64,657 posts, read 54,231,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The harsh reality of the Great Depression. My maternal grandfather got his BA at age 70. Mom went to an Ivy on a scholarship. My paternal grandfather died young and didn't have that opportunity. My uncle went to MIT and my dad went to Amherst and got a DMD from an Ivy.

Before WW II, that was the story of much of the country no matter how much drive and aptitude you had.
Before WWII, people went to college on scholarships and summer jobs, including during the Depression, except for the people whose parents could afford to pay their way. To qualify for scholarships, they had to work hard in school and get high grades, of course. But that allowed people from very challenging circumstances to overcome those circumstances, and catapult themselves into higher socio-economic classes. College campuses provided a little bubble where one could escape temporarily the harsh realities of the Depression.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:13 PM

21,328 posts, read 54,433,903 times
Grandpa M. (Born 1900) I am not sure he graduated from High school. He was fairly well self educated though. He owned and drove school bus(es) and painted pig sties and barns for a living. He was a very bright guy. Super happy and jovial. Loved everyone (which made it a huge surprise to find picture of young Grandpa M at a KKK parade in Iowa in the late 1910s or early 1920s, but I guess the KKK was not just about hate in the Midwest during that time, but kind of a civic organization like Rotary, the hate thing was kind of a sideline and more prevalent in the south - or so I am told. I never really researched it personally).

Grandma M (about 1906 I think) I know finished high school. She was pretty ignorant in many ways. She had some major mental issues though.

Grandpa J. (Born in the early 1910s). May have graduated from highschool, but that is not clear. Came from a family of poor farmers became a poor farmer, owned a gas station burned it down with no insurance. Did the same thing again I think. Worked in a cheese factory where he had part of his thumb cut off and they never found it (yum thumb cheese). He died when I was pretty young. There are a lot of remarkably bright descendants, but I do not think it came form his genes. From what I remember, he was not a very nice guy, but that could just be because I was so young.

Grandma J. (Born mid 1910s). Graduated from High school, I think, but possibly not. She got married young and pregnant. She was remarkably smart. Pretty set in her ways/prejudiced, but super sharp witted, clever, good at finding solutions. Pretty sure that is where some of the extraordinary bright people who came later got their genetic code for brilliance.

My Dad was the first of his family line to attend college. There are some really brilliant people in his extended and related family including two of my brothers (only one of whom completed college).

Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM

1,976 posts, read 699,492 times
Never thought to ask. They came from Ireland and Germany.

MOM had a AA degree. Dad had 5th grade (depression) but made it far in life. I think my mother taught him stuff when they got married. They owned several businesses. And then dad became a executive. Retired in the 70's.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:04 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,512,946 times
Mother's side:

Grandmother - 8th grade - (left school to help at home)
Grandfather - High School

Great grandmother - 6th or 7th grade - (left school to help at home)
Great grandfather - High School

Gr-Gr-grandparents - neither attended beyond the 6th grade, as far as I can tell. They were farmers.
I saw my gr-gr-grandmother's grade school diploma in a box at one point.

Father's side:

Grandmother - started normal college (teacher's college) - left to get married
Grandfather - High School

Great grandmother - Normal College (was a teacher for many years and the 2nd wife of my gr-grandfather)
Great grandfather - some college - Agriculture - left to run his father's farm

Gr-Gr-grandparents - unknown - they were farmers. Both knew how to read, write, and keep accounts,
so it would not be unrealistic to assume at least a grade school education. I've never found their school attendance records.

That's as far back as I can go at this point. When I have more time, I'll look into this further, but I suspect
since both sides were pretty much farmers and carpenters that they didn't attend school for that long.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:04 PM

193 posts, read 55,668 times
Father side:
Grandmother: born in 1938, left secondary school at age of 15, her father died and there were 7 younger siblings in house so she must work. She worked at railways until retirement. Died in 2005 because of Alzheimer. I did not remember she when she was healthy, father told me she was nice person and grandpa never told bad word about her.

Grandfather: born in 1935 , has high school education + 2 years of some other education, he was an wise person. Worked in local copper facility as a stockman and foreman. His parents was wealthy family here but also not very nice people, so when he brings grandma, a poor girl, he got kicked out of a house or something like that. He was absolute flegmatic and funny as far as i remember. He was drinking and smoking bit much, but taking care of grandma until her last days. He died in 2014.

Mother side:
Grandmother: SHe was born in 1945, died in 1991, i was 2 years old, did not remember her. She worked as hairdresser, later as a cook in kindergarten. Don´t know about her education

Grandfather: born in 1940, has some 3 year middle school. After army service he worked as a coal miner until retirement. Mom told me he was´nt best husband to his wife, but he was definitely very nice grandfather. He died in 2016

Here in Slovakia (Czechoslovakia, mother parents was Czechs ) some college degree was rare at that times. Despite poor education, my both grandfathers were very inteligent. Miss them every day.

Btw it was nice to read posts here about your grandparents people, good night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education