U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM

3,720 posts, read 2,073,709 times

Advertisements

My father's mother (born in 1896) finished 8th grade, and wanted to go to high school, but her parents could not afford to send her. She ended up divorced, with three small children, and had to work clerical jobs to support her family.

My mother's father (born in 1892) was a WW1 veteran and career military man who managed a Civilian Conservation Corps camp in Wisconsin in the 1930s. I don't know much about his education or later career.

No idea about my other two grandparents.

My parents are as old as some grandparents here. Mother, born in 1926, graduated from high school in Chicago and then completed a two-year college course. She worked as a bank teller before marrying and starting a family.

Father, born in 1924, had degrees in Mathematics and Engineering from the University of Chicago. He taught at Keesler Air Force Base in Mississippi in the 1950s, then took a job with Hughes Aircraft in California. He eventually started a small advertising agency specializing in electronics and other high-tech accounts (early computers...) which he ran until his retirement in the early 1990s.

Edited to add--I got to thinking that there must be some record of my grandfather at the CCC camp, so I googled it. Found him right away at Sparta District, 1937: February 2, 1936, Harold G. Van Schaick, First Lieut. F. A.-Res., was placed in command, to be succeeded by M. H. Lyons, Captain, Sig.-Res., August 28, 1936, who now is the Commanding Officer. M. H. Lyons was my grandfather. Very cool to find that.

Last edited by saibot; 08-14-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:28 PM

6,348 posts, read 6,726,579 times
My grandparents were born somewhere between 1870ish-1885ish. None were born in the US. One grandmother remained illiterate all her life. The other grandmother went to school in the US starting at an early age, but I don't know if she completed high school or not. My guess is not. Three of my grandparents could read, write (but made lots of spelling errors), and do arithmetic. They went to night school here in the US. One grandfather was a scholar but in the old country and in his native language. My parents had college degrees, some graduate work, professional degree, mostly for free thanks to free college in NYC.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 PM

14,902 posts, read 13,956,273 times
Paternal grandfather (b 1885) mechanic & supervisor who immigrated from the UK
" grandmother............ probably through 8th grade in the UK

All their kids graduated from college. My dad--masters degree

Maternal grandfather (b 188?) got a degree to be a building inspector for the railroad. Not a college degree
" grandmother probably through high school.

My mother--it was during the Depression, father had died, so she only got two years of commercial college.

Before that, everyone on the UK side worked in the mills. Everyone on the US side worked on their farms.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 PM

8,624 posts, read 4,707,460 times
My grandparents graduated from high school. My father and mother were the first in their families to get college degrees.

My husband's grandparents were immigrants who were highly educated college graduates in Germany and Poland when they immigrated right before WWII. Because they didn't speak English both grandfathers worked as laborers when they came to America. Their wives didn't work outside the home and raised the children. Their children, including my husband's parents, all graduated from college and most obtained post graduate degrees.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 PM

7,165 posts, read 3,296,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Before WWII, people went to college on scholarships and summer jobs, including during the Depression, except for the people whose parents could afford to pay their way. To qualify for scholarships, they had to work hard in school and get high grades, of course. But that allowed people from very challenging circumstances to overcome those circumstances, and catapult themselves into higher socio-economic classes. College campuses provided a little bubble where one could escape temporarily the harsh realities of the Depression.
Not if you have to work to support your family. Your summer job put food on the table. So did your jobs during the rest of the year. It was the Great Depression. That's the story of all my grandparents. Summer jobs and saving for college was a post-war thing when times were more prosperous.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:13 PM

4,945 posts, read 4,381,743 times
I'm African-American. Higher education wasn't really an option for either set of grandparents (they were born in the rural south around the turn of the century and they weren't well off, and not many college tookmblack student anyway), so I'll start with my parents:

Mom - teaching certificate from what used to be called a "normal school"
Dad - high school only. He had a GI bill after ww2 to pay for college but he gave it to his little brother. My uncle went on to become a college professor.

Their 4 daughters: 1 started college but never finished. 2 have masters degrees and I have a PhD. My parents were big on education.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 PM

3,694 posts, read 4,033,257 times
Not sure about my maternal grandmother. My maternal grandfather had no formal education until age 14 due to problems in the south after the Civil War, but then he made up for it and got a college degree. My paternal grandmother was training to be a teacher when she met my paternal grandfather, who had a college degree.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:39 AM

2,317 posts, read 879,017 times
Maternal Grandma: Less than high school. Immigrated from Greece on the Queen Mary to marry my grandpa in an arranged marriage.Worked as a seamstress in Denver.

Paternal Grandpa: Less than high school. Immigrated alone from Greece at age 14 & worked odd jobs on the south side neighborhood in Chicago. Moved in with an older brother in law, ran the family restaraunt & moved to Denver after getting married. Worked as a liquor wholesaler until he was 94 years old.

Due to the civil unrest in Greece at the time due to Turkish conflicts there are no records of earlier generations. The education of their children was a priority to them & their 4 children obtained 5 PhD's, 2 MD's & 1 MBA.

Paternal grandma:Graduated East HS in Denver. Attended Parks Buisness school but was expelled for laughing in class. Worked as a Stenographer during the Great Depression.

Paternal Grandpa: Doctor; University of Colorado School of Medicine in 1931 Assigned to an LST ship as senior medical officer inWWII. He participated with the amphibious forces of the Seventh Fleet, in the D-Day invasions of Morotai, in the Palau Group; the Leyte landings; at San Fabian, in the Lingayen Gulf areas of Luzon and later at Puerto Princesa on the east coast of Palawan.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 AM

28,641 posts, read 28,766,396 times
High school, or some high school. My dad was the first in my direct line to go to college and he didn't even finish that until he was in his 40's and needed it for more promotional opportunities at work. My brother and I both attended college but didn't stick around to get a BA because we had careers without it. Both my kids got degrees but it's not helping them as much as a strong economy in the 80's helped me!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 AM

5,448 posts, read 9,127,635 times
Every side: College of Hard Knocks

I was the lucky one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education