U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 AM

1,480 posts, read 1,984,346 times

Advertisements

maternal grandfather born 1887 in what is now eastern Slovakia - 2 yrs of education taught by the village priest

maternal grandmother born 1893 ibid - probably about the same

Upon immigration to the USA, became legal citizens and went to night school where they learned to speak/read/write English and went on to earn what is probably now something similar to a GED.

My parents - GED

Me - MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,068,182 times
All four of my grandparents were born in the 1930s. All of them attended high school, but I'm not sure who graduated. Maybe they all did, maybe none of them did. They've all been gone for a long time now, so I don't know a whole lot.

Three of the four families are all from northern Michigan. Two of them traditionally worked in the lumber industry, the other in the mining industry. Three of my grandparents were in the Flint, MI area by the time they were in high school. My other grandpa came to Flint to work for GM. Both grandpas and one of my grandmas worked for GM, just like everyone else in Flint. The shop paid well.
My parents and their siblings mostly followed suit- most went into the shop or married someone who worked there. Still no need for an education past high school. (To my knowledge, everyone graduated high school. I have an uncle who is questionable.)
My generation was the first to go to college. On my mother's side, my oldest cousin was the first to go to college. She has her bachelor's. I have a BS as well. My sister only has an associates degree, but she is an RN. My other cousin went to college on and off, but ended up as a hair stylist (and out earns us all.)
On my dad's side, I was the first to go to college and my sister and I are the only ones with degrees of any kind. That is out of seven.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 5,693,335 times
parents and grandparents on both sides all finished high school but did not go to college. Great-grand parents I know at least one did not finish high school but not sure on the rest.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM

5,112 posts, read 3,768,684 times
Paternal grandfather - none really. Garment worker. Self-educated.
Paternal grandmother - some high school.
Maternal grandfather - doctorate (rabbi).
Maternal grandmother - college graduate.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,426,019 times
Only one of my grandparents graduated from high school - my mom's dad. My mom's mother was married when she was 16 and pregnant shortly thereafter, so she never finished.

My dad's parents were immigrants (but came here when they were only 2 and 3 years old) and had the equivalent of 8th grade educations. After 8th grade, everyone needed to go to work in the factories.

Every one of their children graduated from college. College was non-negotiable for my Dad and his brothers. My mom's family never really pressed it, but both of their kids ended up with a college degree.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 PM

2,568 posts, read 4,598,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
and what year were they born (or approximate.)

Great Grandparents? If you know

Father's Side:

My Great Grandfathers (b, 1880s) - one had a college degree, no clue about the other, I never heard him mentioned much
My Grandfather (b. 1906)- PhD and became a professor
My Grandmother (b. 19120- 4 year degree, was a nurse

Mother's Side:

Great Grandparents (1890s)- no college, nothing beyond grade school
Grandmother (1915)- no education beyond 6th grade
Grandfather (1912)- finished high school, was in the army a while, no other formal education

As you can see, it is a wide range. No one was wealthy, but my father's side always had decent jobs and were self sufficient. My Mother grew up very poor and always struggled. But it seems that every generation gets a little better and my mom and her siblings (6 of them) did much better, 3 of them earning college degrees and all of them having steady work that paid the bills.
None had anything past elementary school, if that.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:41 PM

3,021 posts, read 1,440,693 times
Beyond my parents, I don't really know. I never knew any grandparent except my dad's mom, and I never asked her about her education.

As for my parents, both were born in 1930. My dad quit high school at 10th grade and my mom graduated high school, but didn't go to college.

Except for my mom's dad, who came to the US when he was about 7, all my great grandparents were immigrants from Canada (via Great Britain and Ireland), Germany, and Finland. I doubt any of them had very much education.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
maternal grandfather born 1887 in what is now eastern Slovakia - 2 yrs of education taught by the village priest

My family is from what is now eastern Slovakia too. It was Austria-Hungry when they left. Are you Carpatho-Rusyn?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:06 AM

168 posts, read 45,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My family is from what is now eastern Slovakia too. It was Austria-Hungry when they left. Are you Carpatho-Rusyn?
I live in eastern Slovakia now

Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
I live in eastern Slovakia now
Where? My family is from Ol'Sinkov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education