U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM

2,139 posts, read 2,027,061 times

Advertisements

Never the only on of my grandparents I ever met was my grandmother on my mom's side, the rest were dead long before I was born. Grandfather on dads side had a Italian higher education, worked as an engineer in Egypt doing hydraulic engineering and worked on the Suez Canal. No idea about my Grandmother on dad'd side. She was a French Woman.

Grandmother on my moms side had a degree, grandfather not.

Both my mom and dad had PHD's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:45 AM

10,792 posts, read 11,642,149 times
My grandparents were all born in Ont. Canada or NYS, USA in the second half the 19th century.

Maternal
Grandfather - 8th gr.
Grandmother - no record, but she lived in a large town, and probably went to high school
Step-Grandmother - 12 gr. (Her father, a Bible Christian minister, strongly believed that women should not have to sit at home and wait for suitors to come calling, but should be well enough educated to provide for themselves. His four daughters all had some formal education beyond high school and worked.)

Paternal
Grandfather - unlikely that he went beyond the grade school or jr. high at most. He was the only son and the farm family were not in great financial shape. The other two children were girls, one of whom was mentally ill and later put into an insane asylum. Thus, the parents really needed the help of the two able children as soon as they could be useful. In fact this grandfather's father sometimes boarded an eleven and a thirteen year old son of his neighbor in return for their labor. They were brothers of the grandmother below.
Grandmother - 12 years. This was probably largely due to the fact that she was one of the younger of a large number of children. The older boys and girls helped their parents on the farm.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM

193 posts, read 55,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Where? My family is from Ol'Sinkov.
Kluknava ... Oľšinkov is cca 130 kilometers away from me

Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 PM

833 posts, read 542,081 times
Maternal grandmother, born 1921, high school graduate
Maternal grandfather, born 1915, 4th grade

Paternal grandmother, born 1911, unsure but suspect high school
Paternal grandfather, born 1914, college grad

My parents were born in 1948. Mother is high school grad and father college grad. I am a college grad, born in 1969. One sibling has a Master's and the other has a technical college degree.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM

667 posts, read 280,400 times
Maternal grandfather - got into Georgia Tech on a football scholarship, but ended up having to drop out because it didn't cover enough of his expenses.

Maternal grandmother - graduated high school, and I think she had some level of college.

Paternal grandfather - never finished school past 6th grade, because he was needed to help out on his family's farm.

Paternal grandmother - graduated high school.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:28 PM

25,523 posts, read 40,564,832 times
I don't know about my great-grandparents, but assuming no more than high school level if that - and they were all born in Russia, Ukraine, or Poland.

As for my grandparents, only my maternal grandfather (born 1914) had a post-hs education; he had a master's degree in Library Science, I believe from Drexel University. My father's parents barely finished high school, if they even did, and my maternal grandmother (born 1917) may have done some college courses in secretarial work. And while you're only asking about grandparents, both of my parents have master's degrees (MBA/MLIS), and my siblings & I have post-graduate degrees as well.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:52 PM

1,904 posts, read 877,196 times
That's interesting... to my knowledge, my parents were the first to become college educated in both of their families. I'm not sure if all my grandparents and above finished high school, either.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 AM

5,095 posts, read 7,499,122 times
All my grandparents were born in the US.

Paternal
Grandfather - Never attended high school, but got GED in his 60s.
Grandmother - Some high school but did not graduate.

Maternal
Grandfather - Had a law degree.
Grandmother - Graduated from high school, no further education.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 AM

2,159 posts, read 676,599 times
Father's side:
Grandpa : BS and MD
Grandma: Nurse

Mother's side:
Grandpa : BA and JD
Grandma: 3rd Grade

Father: BS and MD
Mother: High School

Me: Multiple degrees

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 08-21-2017 at 01:50 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 AM

8,460 posts, read 6,647,465 times
Both my grandfathers had college degrees; neither of my grandmothers did. My father had a college degree. My mother went to secreterial school. All of my cousins, male and female on both sides of my family, received college degrees. All of our children received college degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education