U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 PM

98 posts, read 47,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
When we had to bring in snacks to share there was a very distinct list of what you could bring, brand names included, for allergy safety reasons. Is there such a list for his class? If so, ask to see it and make sure it is enforced. If not, well...if your sons safety is at stake, you have to be THAT parent. There should be absolutely NO reason he could not bring a safe snack to eat during snack time. I have a first grader in a Montessori school, so they eat their own snacks when they are hungry rather than as a group... and I still have a list of what is safe for him to bring for himself. It isn't shared anymore so it mostly avoids PB residue on tables.

A doctors note and insistence that he bring an apple. If that doesn't work, go above the teacher. Threatening with lawyers would be way out of hand, but if you continue to meet resistance something at that school needs to change. There is no way they don't have other students in the same boat. Find other parents and push for change.
I'd prefer no snack time personally, but for now I'm packing the apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 4,367,550 times
As a mom to a rising kindergartener, I really don't get why the snack thing is an issue for the school to accomodate. Food allergies are a common issue now. I want to know if my daughter has any in her class so I can not send PBJ sandwiches, etc.

I was wondering if the cleaning supplies was a "My son will not be exposed to chemical products for his health, here are his Norwex cloths and essential oil thieves spray" situation and I would truly roll my eyes at that. But I get orange oil. That's a tough one.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 4,367,550 times
Quote:
I'd prefer no snack time personally, but for now I'm packing the apple.
They probably do it because Kindergarteners usually eat first and ridiculously early. Here it is a 10:15 lunchtime and school doesn't end til 3. Kids would be very hungry in the afternoon without the snack.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM

33,111 posts, read 34,817,725 times
If there are legitimate and medically documented dietary restrictions, push the issue, up the chain, if necessary. No school wants threats of legal action for discriminating based on medical conditions.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM

98 posts, read 47,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
As a mom to a rising kindergartener, I really don't get why the snack thing is an issue for the school to accomodate. Food allergies are a common issue now. I want to know if my daughter has any in her class so I can not send PBJ sandwiches, etc.

I wish more parents seen it this way...instead of a heated pb debate..if it involved their child they 'd change tune.

I was wondering if the cleaning supplies was a "My son will not be exposed to chemical products for his health, here are his Norwex cloths and essential oil thieves spray" situation and I would truly roll my eyes at that. But I get orange oil. That's a tough one.
Nope, we use chemicals...and I flip every label every time I buy anything. I can't expect that from the school so I understand on their part..just don't say it's special treatment (to not be able to eat the provided snack) and deny him a safe healthy alternative. I'm sure there is another child and parents with the same concerns.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM

81,411 posts, read 92,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yeah, that is a great way to introduce yourself to the school community and make sure your child has lots of friends. Great advice...
My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you know sometimes this is always an issue in public schools . my sister had the same problem so she enrolled her child in a catholic school and funny how she never had another problem like certain foods , cleaners etc ... I think I would let him take the apple anyways and if she takes it away from him then you go straight to the principal and ask the principal if they can afford a lawsuit against the county , state and anyone else whom your attorney deems responsible .I bet you , your child will be allowed an apple then . Sometimes you just have to show them who hold the cards so to speak .
What DefiantNJ said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
My son has MANY food related allergies. He starts K next week and has met his teacher [She seems very patient and outgoing]. They have a snack assigned to be brought in daily by a different class member. I kindly explained he is not to eat or drink anything brought in because I'm taking no chances. I also inquired if he could bring in an apple instead [he eats 2 apples almost daily] and she said no special treats. I understand why if it was something chocolate or "truly special" but an apple??? So now each day he will sit and watch the other kids eat when he did nothing wrong. Should this bother me?

Also within his allergies certain cleaners can cause a reaction and those are on the supply list. How can I assume they are not using ANY of those products..they already are 'hasseled' and it's not even day one. Am I mom from hell or do I have a valid point to know, ask, and be concerned!?

Thoughts...Advice...Stories to share?? Thanks in advance, I will try and reply to all.
You are not the Mom from H*ll, but you will be if you follow the advice of some of these people to haul in a lawyer right off the bat. I do agree with going up the chain of command as was suggested. The principal would probably be next. I'm totally surprised this never came up before for this teacher.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 PM

11,903 posts, read 15,839,168 times
And some of these poster would let the school and teacher walk right over them . Do what you think best OP for your situation . I guess some of us are not allowed to have an opposing opinion , I thought this was a forum to share opinions did not know it was not . Good luck whatever you decide OP.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM

81,411 posts, read 92,035,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
And some of these poster would let the school and teacher walk right over them . Do what you think best OP for your situation . I guess some of us are not allowed to have an opposing opinion , I thought this was a forum to share opinions did not know it was not . Good luck whatever you decide OP.
Threatening a lawsuit right off the bat is not going to make life easy for the student. No one is telling you not to express an opinion. When you do express and opinion, expect people to disagree with you. Actually, several think bringing in a lawyer or threatening a lawsuit is a great idea.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM

7,764 posts, read 4,423,463 times
Talk to the principal. Your request to bringing a healthy, safe alternative for your son is totally reasonable. You can be polite, yet firm. A good mom advocates for her child and that is exactly what you are doing and will continue to need to do. You're definitely not a "mom from hell" for being assertive and making sure your child is safe, fed and not excluded from snack time at school because of his allergies.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 719,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Talk to the principal. Your request to bringing a healthy, safe alternative for your son is totally reasonable. You can be polite, yet firm. A good mom advocates for her child and that is exactly what you are doing and will continue to need to do. You're definitely not a "mom from hell" for being assertive and making sure your child is safe, fed and not excluded from snack time at school because of his allergies.
I agree with this approach. If the principal disagrees you can go to you school board. But IMHO, threatening lawsuits is a horrible approach that right away introduces antagonism and hostility to you and your child's relationship to school.

My son just finished kindergarten. I find the whole snack idea stupid and just an excuse to overeat. My son never had a snack time in the Pre K in private day care. He had lunch at 12:00 pm. His school has lunch at 11:30 am and finishes at 3:00 pm. He can survive without eating for 3.5 hours.

In my son's school, everyone brought their own snack. But that raises other issues as they start envying a few "lucky" kids who get junk food for snack.

Fortunately, there is no longer snack time in first grade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education