U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 612,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
My insurance required prior authorizations; the referral took about 3m, we still don't have an appointment with an allergist. His pediatrician will not address any allergens at her office..

Snack time ends after K, which will be a welcome, he isn't even allowed to bring in his own crayons. That's how stringent the school system has become!
Crayons are a different thing. In our school district, kids have to purchase brand new packs of expensive name brand school supplies and then donate them to the classroom. It's a racket.

In a school district nearby, kids are told to bring "crayons, pens, colored pencils", etc., that they put in their own pencil box for their own use. That way, parents don't have to buy all new supplies because they still have last year's supplies. Certainly is adequate.

So it's a different mentality.

Why does he need to bring in his own crayons, other than the obvious reason that he already owns perfectly good crayons and it's wasteful to make the families buy all new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:14 PM

13,994 posts, read 15,801,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
This should already have been addressed with the school. They are legally required to make reasonable accommodations for him, and things like bringing in an apple certainly is reasonable. There should be a formal action plan in place already. Have you met the with school (not individual teacher) about this yet?
You are referencing an IEP. Likely Mom hasn't gotten to that point since son is just starting K. I'm also not sure that food allergies are a disability like ADD or a learning disability is.

But, I agree, I think allowing this child to eat an apple is certainly a reasonable request. Mom/OP should go to the principle and discuss this situation, since teacher already denied the request for the apple treat. The principle can determine there should be an exception. The more people aware of her child's food allergies the better in this sitting.

I am actually a bit worried that the teacher was so quick to say No.....it makes me wonder if Mom has fully conveyed the allergy concerns or was hesitant to do so.

One thing that I learned when my son, who was diagnosed with learning disabilities in 2nd grade...Was I was his first line of defense in the educational system. We were very lucky, our school system is very knowledgeable and supportive.....not all schools or teachers are.

OP/Mom Why not start a parent support group related to this issue at your son's school. Parent support groups can be amazing help.

OP here is a great link that will help you going forward to advocate for your child's safety in school.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_A...ch_&_Education

Last edited by JanND; 08-17-2017 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM

1,877 posts, read 757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So the ER visits were not over reactions on your part fearing a life-threatening allergic reaction that you've not actually seen in the past? These are truly strong reactions and not food sensitivities? I'm thinking that is one explanation for your doctor's hesitation to give you an epi pen.
+1. Add in not actually seeing an allergy doc.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:46 PM

3,110 posts, read 6,735,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are referencing an IEP. Likely Mom hasn't gotten to that point since son is just starting K. I'm also not sure that food allergies are a disability like ADD or a learning disability is.
'

No, accommodations can be made under 504. Modification to curriculum would need an IEP. An allergy is considered a disability in the eyes of the law, thus a 504 will cover it. Many kids with ADD will actually have a 504. Some kids with learning disabilities will also have a 504 if accommodations can address their situation.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 PM

3,792 posts, read 9,310,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yeah, that is a great way to introduce yourself to the school community and make sure your child has lots of friends. Great advice...

Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM

851 posts, read 538,890 times
I'm revising my post because I just saw that your son has an epi-pen and he's going to be attending a school that doesn't have a nurse. This is a big red flag for me. I would seriously be considering other options if I were you.

Allergies of this level should have been brought to the attention of the school at the time you were registering him, they may have had a better classroom to put him in with a teacher more familiar with how to handle situations like this.

I recommend going to the school and asking to speak with the administration about the situation. Make it clear that you are willing to do any extra work necessary to make sure they are not burdened in any way, and be nice but firm.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM

3,110 posts, read 6,735,577 times
OP, is your child in a public or private school setting?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:59 PM

13,027 posts, read 8,165,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
His school system doesn't employ a nurse, but I will look into a 504 plan. After reading this I'm curious as to why after the 2nd or 3rd ER visit follow up his pediatrician failed to ever mention this document...she fought me for months over an epi pen rx!
It is a document that needs to be initiated by you. There really is no reason to have one prior to your child being in a situation where they frequently spend a great deal of time with a person or persons in a in loco parentis position (i.e. Public K-12 school) and you want to make sure they do specific things based on your child's medical needs (allow the child to eat an alternative snack provided by you) Your pediatrician will assist you by filling out the paperwork, which you can get from the school system.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 08-17-2017, 08:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,080,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I'm revising my post because I just saw that your son has an epi-pen and he's going to be attending a school that doesn't have a nurse. This is a big red flag for me. I would seriously be considering other options if I were you.

Allergies of this level should have been brought to the attention of the school at the time you were registering him, they may have had a better classroom to put him in with a teacher more familiar with how to handle situations like this.

I recommend going to the school and asking to speak with the administration about the situation. Make it clear that you are willing to do any extra work necessary to make sure they are not burdened in any way, and be nice but firm.
Overreacting a bit...

Few schools now have nurses, and those that do share them. They get at best a few hours a week. Not sure how that really makes a difference. Only have a reaction during the three hours we have the nurse this week?

I've worked in multiple districts, multiple states. Every time I've had a child in my classroom with an Epi-pen, I've had to complete a mandatory training. Which means almost every year of my career. I could teach the training, yet it is always required (along with the lovely annual blood borne pathogen refresher that I can practically recite in my sleep.)

Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 PM

851 posts, read 538,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Overreacting a bit...

Few schools now have nurses, and those that do share them. They get at best a few hours a week. Not sure how that really makes a difference. Only have a reaction during the three hours we have the nurse this week?

I've worked in multiple districts, multiple states. Every time I've had a child in my classroom with an Epi-pen, I've had to complete a mandatory training. Which means almost every year of my career. I could teach the training, yet it is always required (along with the lovely annual blood borne pathogen refresher that I can practically recite in my sleep.)
And how many children with life-threatening allergies do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education