Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Get a doctor's note and be insistent. I am quite sure no school wishes a lawsuit, so if you need to, include that you will be conferring with your attorney.
Agreed! They must allow for exceptions' Go to the school and talk to the principal. I have a feeling your sons teacher might be new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
My children are allowed to have a healthy peanut free snack up till 5th grade. I'm sure you're not the only mom who had dealt with this. Again, the teacher is probably new. Go up to the school on Monday & speak with the principal! Nothing wrong with having an apple instead of said snack.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
I've never heard of a policy like that, having a different parent bring in snacks for the whole class every day. What if the parent is sick, do the kids go without a snack?

My grandson is in kindergarten and they each bring their own snack. There is a kid in the class with a peanut allergy so the teacher asked parents to sign up if they would agree not to send any nut based snacks with their kids, the kids of parents who agreed to that sit with the little girl at her table (I think it's 6 kids per table) the other kids can bring nut based products but they eat at different tables. Personally it wouldn't have bothered me a bit if they had banned nuts altogether but at back to school night there were parents screaming about how the only thing their kid would eat was peanut butter /sigh

Old 08-18-2017, 09:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothwells mum View Post
What state are you in that they still employ a nurse at the elementary level? My children have attended schools in 2 states and neither had a nurse. The nurse is now the office secretary with a few band aids at her disposal...

The classrooms have also been nut free, dairy free and no one is allowed to bring in anything edible for birthdays. The schools bend over backwards to accommodate the allergy victims.

If I were the original poster I would kindly address the situation with the teacher again- maybe she misunderstood, and just have the kid bring the apple. If it becomes a bigger problem, then go to the principle. You are just starting school and will be at the elementary level for many years, there is no reason to go in with guns blazing (threatening people w/ lawsuits). Stay calm.
My grandchildren here in Texas have had a nurse at each elementary school, middle school, jr high and high school. They are RNs so credentialed.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've never heard of a policy like that, having a different parent bring in snacks for the whole class every day. What if the parent is sick, do the kids go without a snack?

My grandson is in kindergarten and they each bring their own snack. There is a kid in the class with a peanut allergy so the teacher asked parents to sign up if they would agree not to send any nut based snacks with their kids, the kids of parents who agreed to that sit with the little girl at her table (I think it's 6 kids per table) the other kids can bring nut based products but they eat at different tables. Personally it wouldn't have bothered me a bit if they had banned nuts altogether but at back to school night there were parents screaming about how the only thing their kid would eat was peanut butter /sigh
Thirty-eight years ago, when my youngest entered Kindergarten, a different parent brought in the snack for the whole class every day. Not a new policy.

The peanut allergy hadn't escalated to such a point that nuts had to be banned and when it was my turn, (roughly five or six times that whole school year) I sent GORP which is Good Old Raisins and Peanuts. Never a problem.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:

They don't bring it in on the day it's served, unless some parent requests to come in on a particular day with something, you are asked to send in big boxes or boxes with X number of individually wrapped treats. They were doled out through the year. The year I taught kindergarten I would go to the store the days after Halloween and Valentine's Day to buy things like marked down holiday themed induvually wrapped miniature Rice Krispie treats, fruit roll ups, and little bags of pretzels. Yeah, by the way, notice who paid for those - hint, the person who had no kindergarteners of her own.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:09 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They don't bring it in on the day it's served, unless some parent requests to come in on a particular day with something, you are asked to send in big boxes or boxes with X number of individually wrapped treats. The year I taught kindergarten I would go to the store the days after Halloween and Valentine's Day to buy things like marked down holiday themed induvually wrapped miniature Rice Krispie treats, fruit chews, and little bags of pretzels. Yeah, by the way, notice who paid for those - hint, the person who had no kindergarteners of her own.
Ok, that makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
She acted too casual..if she cared or was qualified then reassure me and explain how things will be handled with specific situation.
That wasn't in response to you. As previously stated, you need to be more assertive with the teacher. Enrollment forms should ask about allergies. Make sure the office is aware. Talking to the principal should help with the teacher, provided that you have the medical documentation.

Quote:

I taught kindergarten as recently as the 2013-2014 school year and had the whole class snack schedule. I took over as a mid-year replacement for an ineffective teacher who was being moved to a different position, replacing a mid-year retiree. Snack policies were in place already, and all kindergarten did it the same. I HATED this method as a teacher, for many reasons. (And it didn't help that the former teacher let them all pass on the current day's snack and have whatever they wanted out of the cupboard where previous leftover snacks were stored- that ended very quickly once I took over. No more free for all snack! I was so mean, lol. Former teacher also had no guidelines for snack. Healthy wasn't required. Little Debbie snack cakes were the most common snack. )

Kids typically brought it in the day of. If they forgot, we used up any previous leftovers (if there were any). I had to remember to go to the store to buy some extras if the snack cupboard was low. Luckily, I always remembered. We never had a snackless day. I had a few kids who never once brought snack.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 AM

108 posts, read 100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
This is excellent advice.

If I may add, please don't discuss your concerns within earshot of your son. It may frighten him to think that once in school, he could come in contact with something that could have a deleterious effect on him and you won't be there to protect him.
No this is bad advice. He knows his allergies and is well aware. We openly discuss everything since he is the only one responsible after he leaves my protection. I cannot expect his teacher to take the time to make sure every environment is safe...by him knowing what to look for or how to respond is proactive, and could potentially save his life.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:31 AM

108 posts, read 100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I cannot conceive a child naturally, so that number would be zero. Thanks for the question.

Anyway, part of my teacher education program required me to be certified as a medical first responder. I had to take several classes, and through college my CPR and First Aid certifications were current. I kept both current during my first few years teaching. I've taught a couple children with severe allergies, and I am confident that I would have been able to handle any emergency. One of my students was severely allergic to bees. Honestly, even with a hypothetical nurse on campus, by the time the nurse would reach the playground, it would likely be too late.

I'm pretty offended that you think an educated professional, who has to be trained any time they have a student in their classroom with special medical needs, is somehow unqualified to handle a crisis.
They are teachers, not nurses!!!!!..unless a teacher has a medical license they are NOT allowed to make any medical decisions...half would panic half would just stare..one might call an ambulance..I know within 15 seconds his first dose of benadryl should be taken. I doubt he'd even be allowed to take a dose...the nearest ER is 20 miles away and it's a scary thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education