U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:17 PM

1,126 posts, read 772,953 times

Advertisements

Stick to the local school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:53 PM

803 posts, read 669,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
We chose to send our two kids to a high school 40 miles each way from our house.

With traffic, it took me about an hour each way most days, but some days it could take well over an hour if traffic was really bad. Sometimes, I did two round trips in a day, when they had conflicting extracurriculars. And, of course, on weekends, they wanted to spend time with their school friends, who all lived quite a distance from our home, so that involved more driving.

My kids received a wonderful education.

But, to be honest, those years are a blur to me.

All I remember is being in the car going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth....

My kids mostly slept or did their homework in the car, so I didn't exactly spend quality time with them during those many hours. When my oldest got her driver's license, she started driving them to school a couple of times a week, but I worried constantly about the long drive for an inexperienced driver.

I don't regret the choice, but I'm not sure I'd make the same choice again.

I could live with a school closer to home that wasn't "perfect."

And, frankly, so could my kids.
Wow, that's really far. 80 miles back and forth, it is probably worth moving to house near to the school, even in a more expensive house. Were you also working during those years?

There's really nothing to regret esp if the kids turned out well.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:52 PM

One thing to consider is the fact that better schools means better in standardized test and/or more extra curricular activities (graded).

better in standardized test = more homework = more parents involvement
more extra curricular activities = less time to do homework = but also more parent involvement

Parents have to be involved either way, so hours of driving may add up to the burden.

Are there parents here who did the reverse? Like drive farther to get into a school inferior to their previous school? What's your reason?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 PM

8,324 posts, read 5,066,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
better in standardized test = more homework = more parents involvement
more extra curricular activities = less time to do homework = but also more parent involvement
More homework does not equal better standardized test scores.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
More homework does not equal better standardized test scores.
What test score you consider "better"?

Unless the school is for gifted or a magnet school where school screen their incoming students.

This may not be proven but one good way to be able to get a better score for an average student is to practice. And practice means bunch of homework.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM

8,324 posts, read 5,066,569 times
Quote:
What test score you consider "better"?

Unless the school is for gifted or a magnet school where school screen their incoming students.

This may not be proven but one good way to be able to get a better score for an average student is to practice. And practice means bunch of homework.
I don't understand your question. To consider something better, I need something to compare.

A lot of schools are moving away from assigning a "bunch of homework", and only assigning it occasionally. Homework isn't going to make kids smarter.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 PM

313 posts, read 82,326 times
Is it the kids demanding that they go to the more distant school?

Quote:
So your kid is will be in middle school and you found a perfect school but you have to drive far.

How far is far for you? (by driving or using the school bus)

Is it really worth wasting extra 30 minute to an hour just driving the kids to better school when there is fine school a mile down the road?

This is will be my dilemma next year

Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I don't understand your question. To consider something better, I need something to compare.

A lot of schools are moving away from assigning a "bunch of homework", and only assigning it occasionally. Homework isn't going to make kids smarter.
Sure. Here are some comparisons.

Example:
There is a fine school that is a couple of mile drive from my house. It is one of the most coveted schools by the parents in the entire city and year after year, the school has long waitlist. Here are its test scores (based on greatschools.org):

Science - 90%
Geometry - 77%
Algebra II - 77%
Algebra I - 75%
Math - 77%
English - 75%

The school I am considering next year will be another 20 minute drive from where we live. The school is on a different league since it competes with the best HS in the entire US. This is what I found on their score (based on greatschools.org).

Science - 99%
Geometry - 92%
Algebra II ->98%
Algebra I - 90%
Math - 93%
English - 92%

Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Is it the kids demanding that they go to the more distant school?
Hi!

They like the school they previously attended (local school a little over a mile from our former house). But we moved to a new house from another city and have to find another school for them. They are starting from zero this time. I am thankful that the area where we live now has more highly ranked schools within 5-10 mile radius, finding a good school is very important here in AZ.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
It may or may not make the kids smarter but definitely it will help them understand further their lesson and get a better test score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education