U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:18 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,206,728 times

Advertisements

We homeschool, but one year we decided to try a Montessori school that's 30-40 minutes away from where we were living at the time. It was worth the time involved. We carpooled and I only had to drive up 2-3 days per week, but even if I'd had to do it every day, I would have rather done that than send them to the public middle school here in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 AM

769 posts, read 630,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What are the reviews like on Great Schools for these two schools? What did you and your kids think when you visited each of the schools? What was the overall environment like?

Basing it on test scores alone and the reputation of your neighborhood school, I would stick with the neighborhood school.
Good question!

The distant school (A) has better reviews than the other (B). 4stars vs 3stars.

School A remains one of the top HS in our state and many parents love the school. You can't go wrong on this school.

Most parents who reviewed badly for School B are the ones who pulled their kids out of the school because of its very rigorous curriculum. Many parents tried this school when it opens as it promised new brand of educating the kids, but withdrew after a year or so as they do not like the tough approach of this school to their kid. I saw a statistic recently that few years back, they used to have few hundreds of 5th Grade students but come graduation time, only around 30(?) graduated. Despite being charter school in AZ (where it is originated), it grows like a mushroom. They now have private branches in richer states (TX, CA and NYC) and international schools in other countries (Europe and China). It is nationally ranked and internationally acclaimed. Way above the league of School A in terms of academic excellence.

Both environment are good, A is an established school while B is relatively new.

Both my kids are academically good (if not better) and School A is just as good for them. As to question of how will my kids will survive in School B is something I can't figure out right now.

By the way, I love reading all your responses, it all make sense and I think it is much easier to decide right now

Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM

3,201 posts, read 2,620,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post

Is it really worth wasting extra 30 minute to an hour just driving the kids to better school when there is fine school a mile down the road?
You've already telegraphed that you feel it's a waste of your time. I'm not going to bother giving you my opinion.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,386,950 times
Our daughter's middle school is 31 miles from our house. Tuition is $28K. My wife drops off and I pick her up each day. The local public school is less than 1/2 mile from our home. I consider the public schools in our area to be a snakepit. Ask yourself two questions: 1) How important is your child's education, and 2) Are you ok raising a future Wal-Mart clerk?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 PM

81,028 posts, read 90,133,641 times
Quote:
Good question!

School A remains one of the top HS in our state and many parents love the school. You can't go wrong on this school.

Most parents who reviewed badly for School B are the ones who pulled their kids out of the school because of its very rigorous curriculum. Many parents tried this school when it opens as it promised new brand of educating the kids, but withdrew after a year or so as they do not like the tough approach of this school to their kid. I saw a statistic recently that few years back, they used to have few hundreds of 5th Grade students but come graduation time, only around 30(?) graduated. Despite being charter school in AZ (where it is originated), it grows like a mushroom. They now have private branches in richer states (TX, CA and NYC) and international schools in other countries (Europe and China). It is nationally ranked and internationally acclaimed. Way above the league of School A in terms of academic excellence.

Both environment are good, A is an established school while B is relatively new.

Both my kids are academically good (if not better) and School A is just as good for them. As to question of how will my kids will survive in School B is something I can't figure out right now.

By the way, I love reading all your responses, it all make sense and I think it is much easier to decide right now
Somewhere I read that your kids are going into (probably started by now) 1st and 4th grades! You don't even need to make this decision about your oldest for at least 1 1/2 years. I don't know how it is in your state, but here in Colorado, you have to apply for the current year. They don't do "wait lists". By the time the first grader is ready for 6th grade (5 years), everything may be different. School reputations change. Oftentimes, people who are unhappy with a school (restaurant, etc) will write a review. So you can't make too much of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Our daughter's middle school is 31 miles from our house. Tuition is $28K. My wife drops off and I pick her up each day. The local public school is less than 1/2 mile from our home. I consider the public schools in our area to be a snakepit. Ask yourself two questions: 1) How important is your child's education, and 2) Are you ok raising a future Wal-Mart clerk?
1. Doesn't sound like the same situation as the OP.
2. I can't even.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:35 PM

12,846 posts, read 6,433,802 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Some of us value our child's education enough that we don't live in places where the schools are described as a snake pit. That way, our kids and our neighbors' children are ALL receiving a quality education, not just the ones who can pay $28K a year and put in hours of extra driving time each week.

What point was it you were trying to make again?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 PM

7,620 posts, read 4,208,971 times
Quote:
Good question!

I'm confused. School B is the neighborhood school? And is the newer of the two?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 PM

7,620 posts, read 4,208,971 times
Quote:
Lol.

The op is trying to decide between two excellent public schools. You make it sound like he or she is trying to decide between Harvard or allowing his or her child to be a middle school drop out. There's a whole lot of room in between expensive private school and Walmart checker for life.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM

3,983 posts, read 1,826,808 times
Quote:
Wow, that's really far. 80 miles back and forth, it is probably worth moving to house near to the school, even in a more expensive house. Were you also working during those years?

There's really nothing to regret esp if the kids turned out well.
Yes, I was working part-time during those years. Luckily, I had flexible hours and telecommuted. More than once, I telecommuted from my car.

Moving closer to the school wasn't really an option for us due to the prices of homes in that area (over $1 millon).

It was exhausting for me, but I don't have any regrets about the choice we made. My kids received a wonderful education, made lifetime friends, and participated in extracurriculars that weren't available at our local high school.

But, as I said, now that my kids are doing great as adults, I think it probably would have worked out just as well for them to attend a high school closer to home.

Our kids had two parents who really cared about education (obviously), they were smart kids, and they were also very self-motivated. They could have succeeded in any number of schools, including our local high school.

Of course, we'll never know that for sure.

We all do what we feel is best for our kids at the time.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-23-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 10:24 AM

769 posts, read 630,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm confused. School B is the neighborhood school? And is the newer of the two?
Hi! The School B is the one is far, another 20 minutes drive and it is new too (being new doesn't really matter to me).

School A is near, about a mile from our house one of the state's best HS.

School B is far, additional 20 minute drive, but it is considered one of the nation's best HS, hence I consider this better and A is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education