Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why their performance in a school and demonstrated aptitude should determine which path is funded for them. They can always choose and fund their own college or trade school. But the ones who get the ride should be the ones who can pay it forward by their performance.

In every other field opportunities are based on performance and potential. Why is education different?
I don't know what you mean.

Are you unaware of "late bloomers"? I really hate the system in some European countries, which is what you're advocating. In some countries, it's decided for the kid by age 10 whether s/he will go to college or trade school.

CC with its open admissions is fine with me. If someone does well, they can transfer to 4 year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:50 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't know what you mean.

Are you unaware of "late bloomers"? I really hate the system in some European countries, which is what you're advocating. In some countries, it's decided for the kid by age 10 whether s/he will go to college or trade school.

CC with its open admissions is fine with me. If someone does well, they can transfer to 4 year.
I'm talking a system where college and trade school are provided free just like High School. To make that investment worthwhile, it should be provided to those who are ready from the starting line. Late bloomers can pay for it themselves if they want it.

We have to get past seeing college as binary -- either something totally on the individual or as something to make folks feel good and see it as a national imperative. Our national competitiveness and ultimately our national security are at stake and too many, on both the conservative/libertarian (pay for it yourself POV) side and the liberal (let's make everyone feel good about themselves) side have lost sight of it. China will graduate more scientists and engineers than we will graduate people for just one example. Our scientists and engineers, along with accountants, business managers who design the products, and the skilled tradespeople who make them happen will be our front line in the economic battle. We need to fund their education.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Actually, I see no reason to be so terrified of our own children.
Children aren't terrifying. Undereducated children who have gained insufficient senses of personal accountability, responsibility and ability to follow through on tasks and see them through to completion run a higher risk of being a drain on society in the long run. It's unfortunate and frustrating, but not scary, IMO.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What they need to add is debt to income ratio to demonstrate the full financial picture.

All those kids $40k to $100K in debt.
For those of you watching from the stands, this is NOT the average amount borrowed in pursuit of an undergraduate degree. Midthirties is the current average.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 PM

776 posts, read 394,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
"truant" means you have a lousy education ethic that probably came from poor parenting.
I'd say that if someone is working full-time instead of going to school, they have a good work ethic because they're working full-time instead of using our taxpayer dollars in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education