U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 05:38 AM

7,312 posts, read 10,968,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
Yup, and at all grade levels. I know I needed that break; it was truly my only time when I didn't have to stress out about that kind of garbage, and I felt my 12-week break was too short.

Your school did it right.

Since elementary school I've had the same position on this: start after Labor Day, take out all the foo-foo half days (which my district growing up had LOTS of) and random Wednesdays off, and give us 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1.5 weeks off for Easter, and end in mid to late May.

I made a calendar for this upcoming year that had 158 educational days, starting on Tuesday 12 September and ending on Thursday 17 May.
How did you arrive at 158? We have to have at least 180.

This is the first year we have had a pre-Labor Day start. While I prefer starting after Labor Day it takes us to the end of June. Last year the students' last day was June 23. This year it is August 28-June 15.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 AM

10,974 posts, read 11,031,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I heard that only Torrance Unified is still holding out from starting before Labor Day.
Torrance Unified started on August 28 this year.

Quote:
So do you think schools starting early and sacrificing August as a full summer vacation month is a good tradeoff for having the semester exams before Christmas?
As explained by this article posted on your previous thread about this subject in the CA forum, there are other reasons that the start date has been moved up, and that probably won't change.

School's out for only part of the summer: Why classes are starting earlier and earlier - LA Times

Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 AM

715 posts, read 211,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

This is the first year we have had a pre-Labor Day start. While I prefer starting after Labor Day it takes us to the end of June. Last year the students' last day was June 23. This year it is August 28-June 15.
Given the constraints I gave myself when making it (nice long breaks, no stupid days off, etc.) I managed to fit a total of 158 days onto the calendar.

And besides, the 180 day requirement is a bunch of nonsense anyway. See this article.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM

27,867 posts, read 33,457,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
Given the constraints I gave myself when making it (nice long breaks, no stupid days off, etc.) I managed to fit a total of 158 days onto the calendar.

And besides, the 180 day requirement is a bunch of nonsense anyway. See this article.
You cherry picked a couple of statements while ignoring the conclusion that we just don't know how school year length impacts achievement.

To extrapolate the results of a study of the education system of a Second (or even Third) World (OK, to be PC, LDC) country to the highly technical and technological US is disingenuous at best or an attempt to mislead and make false claims at worst. Even the authors said there couldn't really be a comparison between the US and Mexican education systems.

As far as you getting rid of "worthless" days like half days you,of course, realize that those half days are counted by most state Departments of Education, and the federal Department of Education for NCLB, R3T and PARCC reporting, as full days. Of course you do.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 AM

3,851 posts, read 4,665,375 times
I see no reason to begin the school year before Labor Day. It signifies the typical end of summer. As a Kid, I'd resent the encroachment on my Summer Break.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:00 AM

81,156 posts, read 90,378,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Tnff hit on one reason for the longer year (maybe not total days but stretching the months of the school year) and that is that there is now what appears to be a cohort of students whose only meals come at school.

That also drives decisions for weather related closings. Over my 30+ years there were a couple times the area got hammered by snow but we'd go in on a 2 hour delay on day 3 or 4 off, serve lunch and then have a 2 hour early departure. That happened with TS Isabel, most of the region was without electric but we went in, served sandwiches and then went home.

Several schools in my (former) system now send food home for the weekend.

Another piece is the "free" child care schools provide. In this area that always came up when calendar adjustments were proposed. Governor Hogan signed an Executive Order last year mandating that schools not start until after Labor Day. Most of the complaints about the action were centered around testing and the additional week or two parents would have to pay in August for child care.
My district has a policy of no early closures d/t the "daycare" issue. If kids get taken home early, they may not have anywhere to go but the front porch until mom/dad gets home from work. Here in CO, schools close for snow before businesses do. I mean, all are pretty "hard core" compared to how they freak in some places over a couple inches of snow, but the schools do have to think of the safety of these kids they transport. Anyway, back on topic, no late starts (except sometimes in the mountain schools), no early dismissals.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-29-2017 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 08:07 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,495,980 times
I don't have kids, but I was one, once.

Seems like kids should be able to count on a solid three summer months off from school: June, July and August.
This doesn't mean three months of doing nothing, but ideally:
Three weeks in June for paid work (whatever the kid is capable of at their age.)
Three weeks of camp in July. Learn to swim, learn to paddle a canoe, learn to hike, and make new, non-school friends.
Three weeks in August for travel.
That leaves one week in each summer month for bike riding, messing around, and farting around.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM

12,172 posts, read 24,959,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Pennsylvania schools must have 180 days. http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/95/05/9505.pdf There are zero states that I see that have less than 175 days. Some say N/A, but none say 158.

There's no way to get that many days in if you end at memorial day. Our schools started yesterday (August 28) and will end June 6. The latter is a tentative date, depending on snow. Kids have a short winter break from the 25th (Christmas is on a Monday this year) through January 2. Spring break is the same as Presidents day weekend - three days. I would prefer a longer Spring break but we're tied into our local tech schools calendar and they coordinate with several school districts.

The start and end dates for schools are very regional, but IMHO, it's very unfair when it comes to AP tests. Those test dates are set in stone and kids who have summer start dates can have a whole month more of instruction.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-29-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 09:12 AM

12,993 posts, read 5,996,835 times
In other words, almost everyone wants what they grew up with.

That was easy.

In my view, 185 days of instruction is 185 days of instruction.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM

32,617 posts, read 33,796,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I don't have kids, but I was one, once.

Seems like kids should be able to count on a solid three summer months off from school: June, July and August.
This doesn't mean three months of doing nothing, but ideally:
Three weeks in June for paid work (whatever the kid is capable of at their age.)
Three weeks of camp in July. Learn to swim, learn to paddle a canoe, learn to hike, and make new, non-school friends.
Three weeks in August for travel.
That leaves one week in each summer month for bike riding, messing around, and farting around.
Three solid months hasn't been the case for many moons. Whenever I hear people grousing abut teachers and their coveted "three months off," I can only surmise that they don't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education