U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:53 PM

731 posts, read 1,097,183 times

Advertisements

My kids classrooms have been between 17 - 22 kids. I think that's a good size class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 PM

8,175 posts, read 1,810,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Zero! Classrooms are technologically obsolete.

Wrong, still the right classroom environment is ten times better then any hoe school environment.The social interaction alone makes classrooms more valuable.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 PM

40,299 posts, read 44,247,077 times
We chose a school with a 7:1-8:1 student:teacher ratio.

Actual. Not theoretical.

The best has always been 1:1.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM

721 posts, read 372,733 times
I am an older boomer and my grade school years were from 1954-1960. Our classes were from 35-40 students. However, we were all white bread and ranged from lower to upper middle class. The trouble makers were sent to another school (the boys who would start fights). Special Ed kids were not mainstreamed but were in a separate class at another school. We had no ESL, DARE, or other special programs. In other words, no distractions. I believe we all got a good education at the time.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
17,658 posts, read 32,931,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Zero! Classrooms are technologically obsolete.
some conditions are still ok, but not preferred. BTW: There were 250+ kids in our Homeschool group (20 yrs ago, 10x that amount today) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Wrong, still the right classroom environment is ten times better then any hoe school environment.The social interaction alone makes classrooms more valuable.
Employers, community leaders, military, social leadership has proven over and over this concept is wrong for nearly 150 yrs... SCHOOL / 'peer' socialization is a negative influence to the successful social integration of 'adult' (responsible) behavior.

Just hire a group of each (Homeschoolers and public / classroom schooled)

Your business success and customers will quickly respond to the appropriate group that enhances the product, deliverable, work relationships, and profit...

You want a staff of employees standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for instruction (and WAITING / insisting on their paycheck...)? Guess who

I have hired AND trained WAY too many 'public schooled' employees(?). Hopefully my last! Tho I will gladly take responsible and capable employees, regardless of schooling.

Was great to get news today of a previous Homeschooler peer of my kids running orphanages and tradeschools for troubled young adults in an Asian country. Many of our previous homeschool group are in demanding and responsible social positions (Teachers, public defenders, Lawyers / Drs, Congressional persons, law enforcement, military leaders, Mayors......) no shortage of socialization skills. No worries...

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-07-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM

6,436 posts, read 1,521,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Is it possible for a district to institute a cap for classroom size, or even to re-zone schools to balance class sizes? Is that somewhat common?

Sometimes. We moved from a town that was rapidly growing due to new construction 10 years ago. They had to keep building new schools to keep up with all the new children coming into the district. Property taxes also sky rocketed due to this and the schools kept getting rezoned as well.

24 kids per classroom is average here and if there's more than that then they assign a teachers aide to the class. Obviously a teacher can only give so much attention per child so the bigger the class the harder it is for a child to get one on one attention if needed. As a parent, if the bigger class size concerns you I would go to a school board meeting and bring it up.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 PM

6,436 posts, read 1,521,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
some conditions are still ok, but not preferred. BTW: There were 250+ kids in our Homeschool group (20 yrs ago, 10x that amount today) .

Employers, community leaders, military, social leadership has proven over and over this concept is wrong for nearly 150 yrs... SCHOOL / 'peer' socialization is a negative influence to the successful social integration of 'adult' (responsible) behavior.

Just hire a group of each (Homeschoolers and public / classroom schooled)

Your business success and customers will quickly respond to the appropriate group that enhances the product, deliverable, work relationships, and profit...

You want a staff of employees standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for instruction (and WAITING / insisting on their paycheck...)? Guess who

I have hired AND trained WAY too many 'public schooled' employees(?). Hopefully my last! Tho I will gladly take responsible and capable employees, regardless of schooling.

Was great to get news today of a previous Homeschooler peer of my kids running orphanages and tradeschools for troubled young adults in an Asian country. Many of our previous homeschool group are in demanding and responsible social positions (Teachers, public defenders, Lawyers / Drs, Congressional persons, law enforcement, military leaders, Mayors......) no shortage of socialization skills. No worries...

The OP did NOT ask about homeschooling!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 766,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
What percentage of kids end up in the right classroom?

Are the schools just designed to produce good brainwashed workers while television makes brainwashed consumers?

It is almost half-a-century since the Moon landing. How can any "EDUCATED" person not figure out that Planned Obsolescence has been going on in automobiles for DECADES? Yet I have talked to a man who told me he "Loved cars" but he could not tell a cam shaft from a crank shaft.

Now we have planned obsolescence in computer software and can't resolve global warming, but you are worried about the socialization in classrooms.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 PM

991 posts, read 285,111 times
I say it depends on the age group.

Elementary: 15 to 1
High School: 20 to 1
College: 60 to 1 (teacher can focus more on the student learning and has less classes to teach and less classroom management to deal with such as discipline, parent interaction, extra curricular stuff, etc.)
I was once a military "Platform Instructor" and sometimes had 120 to 1 ratio, but it was a much more controlled environment with mostly one way interaction between me and the students.

And those advocating NO classrooms or ALL technology based education, I believe at least for younger students, the social interaction is much part of the learning experience than the teacher student interactions. We also learn from one another.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:55 AM

4,162 posts, read 5,676,871 times
I think it depends on a number of other factors - for example, in a high school honors class with students who have relatively stable home lives for the most part and are motivated, a class of 35 is unlikely to be much an issue. In my perspective as a teacher, I'd say anything in the 20s is good and low 30s is usually okay too but not quite as good - and a few kids more or less does not make much difference most of the time. I think for elementary or any high needs environment, I'd prefer anything from 15-25, and if going above 25 I would advocate for more staff - at least a full-time teacher's aide or something along those lines.

And I second the above re: tech education - I've seen so many families try it and fail - in order for online education to work, the student must be highly motivated, have good study skills, and know how to learn. Most youth do not yet have the skills or discipline to really learn well in that format - and many adults do not, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education