U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 PM

10 posts, read 552 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm planning to pursue a career in education. Considering teaching, of course. But also strongly thinking about trying my hand at tutoring instead.

I will be graduating from a top 25 university and have a decent amount of teaching experience under my belt from an AmeriCorps program I've done for three years, as well as summer camps and freelance tutoring here and there.

However, I'm interested in taking the next step. Want to see if I can make a career out of this. If I can, I think it'll be a fantastic career for me. It checks off all my boxes: entrepreneurship, education, helping kids, getting to work one-on-one with kids, getting to work with a variety of age groups, setting my own rates, setting my own hours...It really does seem ideal for me. If I can make it work.

I'm interested in/qualified to tutor the SAT and ACT, help students with college applications and essays, and tutor in all levels of English.

What I need advice on:

1.) Better to specialize or to offer a wider range of services? I've heard mixed things. I could specialize in the SAT, for example, and do nothing else. Or I could offer all of the things I said above. Any opinions/experiences here?

2.) Is a Bachelor's degree sufficient to charge relatively high rates? Does it depend more on the quality of tutor/word of mouth, or on academic qualifications? What do you think would be a reasonable rate for someone with a BA but no advanced degree to charge?

3.) Better to set up my business in a big city or small city? I tend to think that setting up in NYC or Boston, for example, would be best. Seeing as there are tons and tons of schools/students in both cities.

On the other hand, are these oversaturated markets? Would it be extremely difficult to stand out as a tutor and get clients there? I then wonder if it would be better to set up in a smaller city. Where there may be an unmet need for tutors. Then again, there may not be enough students that have that need...

(When answering the third question, please don't consider the cost of living/rent. I know that will be something to think about. But at the moment, I have somewhere to stay in NYC, Boston, San Francisco, and San Diego until I get on my feet. So just for now, you can think about the third question without regard to my personal expenses. Thank you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

293 posts, read 82,824 times
What do you consider a relatively high rate?

Old Today, 07:07 AM

5,049 posts, read 6,660,217 times
Most people just hire college students to tutor or go through a company with a proven track record. I think it would be very hard to make a living as a tutor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education