U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

2,881 posts, read 2,260,935 times

Advertisements

To be fair, though, stuff like "practicing telling time" and "reading a book per night" are things one should be doing with their kids regardless of whether it's assigned homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

40,170 posts, read 44,125,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So the consensus here seems to be that it's an unreasonable amount of work but how do we deal with it? The teacher is 65 and not the most pleasant person I've met. She uses some kind of app (class dojo) in which she grades the kids on behavior every week, and one day she wrote "he does not sit up in class" My son called her and asked what that meant, was he laying down? She said "no I meant that I want all the children to sit up straight and sometime he slouches"
I don't know about the slouching thing, but as far as the work involved, if your kid can do it, what's the big deal?

From what you described, it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes based on what my 5 year old does (reading, math, comprehension questions, etc). He doesn't get homework - this is stuff I have him do and have had him do since he was 4.

Didn't you say it's some kind of advanced school?

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

18,850 posts, read 7,373,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know about the slouching thing, but as far as the work involved, if your kid can do it, what's the big deal?

From what you described, it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes based on what my 5 year old does (reading, math, comprehension questions, etc). He doesn't get homework - this is stuff I have him do and have had him do since he was 4.

Didn't you say it's some kind of advanced school?
No, I didn't say it's an advanced school, I said it's a 'fundamental school' . It's a public school, its not a school for gifted children. Maybe my grandson is just a slow learner, but I can't see how any child could do it in 30 minutes.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
To be fair, though, stuff like "practicing telling time" and "reading a book per night" are things one should be doing with their kids regardless of whether it's assigned homework.
I agree and his dad has always read to him

Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM

776 posts, read 634,814 times
I'm ok with 90 minute homework cos me and my little ones don't consider homework as a burden or a work. It is one of my ways to bond with them and for them to learn at the same time in a fun way. What is 90 minute of your entire day?

Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I'm ok with 90 minute homework cos me and my little ones don't consider homework as a burden or a work. It is one of my ways to bond with them and for them to learn at the same time in a fun way. What is 90 minute of your entire day?
It's not that it's a burden to his father or to us, I started the thread to try to see if other people thought this amount of homework was normal. I never had homework in kindergarten and neither did my kids, it just surprises me that he has this much work every night.

Old Today, 06:10 AM

10,991 posts, read 11,037,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Is that normal? I sort of remember taking naps in K and learning how not to cry when I was away from my mom but I sure don't remember homework
I had the same experience that you did. However, even our kids--born in the 80s--had homework in kindergarten. It took them about a half hour to complete, though.

Your grandson will be VERY prepared for first grade next year!

Old Today, 07:03 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,660,217 times
It's excessive. Homework should be 10 minutes per night per grade level. There's no need for assigned homework in K. Children that age learn best by exploring their environment, playing, and interacting with others. What state is this? Do the expectations of the teacher match the state standards?

Old Today, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
It's excessive. Homework should be 10 minutes per night per grade level. There's no need for assigned homework in K. Children that age learn best by exploring their environment, playing, and interacting with others. What state is this? Do the expectations of the teacher match the state standards?
It's California and I can't find a state standard for how much homework is appropriate, it seems that what she is teaching is is consistent with the state K standards, but I think those standards measure what they know at the end of K, not the beginning of the year. http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/docum...sstandards.pdf

The kid across street goes to a Montessori charter, he's in 2nd grade and his mother said he has never had homework, he reads well and can carry on a decent discussion with an adult so I can't see how he's suffered from not having homework.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

299 posts, read 149,013 times
My kids had none. Read daily was the only suggestion. High performing private montessori school. Definitely no ill effects. Heck, they have very little homework all the way through 6th grade. My oldest moved to private middle school this year. A lot more homework and he's performing exceptionally well. Almost over prepared despite the lack of homework experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education