U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

1,724 posts, read 558,657 times

Advertisements

Hmm. We had "Monday folders", where the entire week's work from last week was sent home, and the parent was instructed to go through it with the child and discuss the work. Then the parent had to return the empty folder signed. Other than that, they were expected to be reading with the child consistently.

At this school, almost all the kids arrive in K already knowing how to read simple children's books, so it's an achieving school. I just don't remember homework in K.

There were projects, though, I guess. Like, for the 100th day of school the child had to bring in 100 of something (pennies, paperclips, etc.) And bug day where they had to bring in a bug in a jar, and tell what kind of bug it is.

On the other hand, like your grandson, kids who were unable to complete their classwork during class time had it sent home to be completed at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

18,853 posts, read 7,384,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hmm. We had "Monday folders", where the entire week's work from last week was sent home, and the parent was instructed to go through it with the child and discuss the work. Then the parent had to return the empty folder signed. Other than that, they were expected to be reading with the child consistently.

At this school, almost all the kids arrive in K already knowing how to read simple children's books, so it's an achieving school. I just don't remember homework in K.

There were projects, though, I guess. Like, for the 100th day of school the child had to bring in 100 of something (pennies, paperclips, etc.) And bug day where they had to bring in a bug in a jar, and tell what kind of bug it is.

On the other hand, like your grandson, kids who were unable to complete their classwork during class time had it sent home to be completed at home.
No, he completes all of his work in class, he had uncompleted work sent home twice, once because he forgot to write his name on it. He brings his completed work home from school every day. His dad goes over it with him and they discuss what he did. The homework folder is sent home on Monday and is due Friday morning. An adult has to sign off on each task on the grid and indicate the time spent. On the book list the parent fills out the name of book, author, length of time spent reading the book and then enters the child's answers to varying questions about the content.

It's not that he can't do the work, or that anyone here is whining about it, it's that his eyes start to glaze over after about 45 minutes. On top of the assigned homework he has to work online in lexiacore5 every night. Intuitively it seems like too much work to me and I'm trying to get feedback from others.

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

10,991 posts, read 11,037,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Intuitively it seems like too much work to me and I'm trying to get feedback from others.
I think everyone here agrees that it's excessive for a kindergartner. When is Back to School Night? There have to be other parents or grandparents who think that she's assigning far too much homework. Only the teacher can explain why she does this. It sounds as if she's been teaching for a long time; it would be interesting to hear her perspective.

Quote:
The kid across street goes to a Montessori charter, he's in 2nd grade and his mother said he has never had homework, he reads well and can carry on a decent discussion with an adult...
Why Montessori school homework is minimal: http://www.mslf.org/winter-egg-csa/

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think everyone here agrees that it's excessive for a kindergartner. When is Back to School Night? There have to be other parents or grandparents who think that she's assigning far too much homework. Only the teacher can explain why she does this. It sounds as if she's been teaching for a long time; it would be interesting to hear her perspective.
They had back to school night 3 days after school started. His dad went and the teacher did not mention how much homework they would have, only that homework would be sent home in a folder on Monday and must be returned completed on Friday. She's been teaching for 35 years, she's kind of grumpy but it's clear from seeing her with the kids that she really cares about them.

I usually pick him up and I've talked to several parents about the homework. Some say that they only require their child to do homework for 30 minutes, if he/she doesn't finish the work in that time they just return it uncompleted and so far the teacher hasn't said anything to them about it. And then there are the helicopter parents who say they wish their kid had more homework /sigh.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Why Montessori school homework is minimal: Why Montessori school homework is minimal
Good article about Montessori. My son put him in the lottery for the Montessori charter and his name was drawn but when my son went to observe the class he was concerned because the little girls were involved in projects and the little boys were walking around slugging each other and just being boisterous little boys. So when they added a new kindergarten class to the fundamental school he enrolled him in it. Our neighbor is a substitute teacher and she really pushed my son to put him in the fundamental school, she said that they learn self discipline and she considers that the key to success in school. Oh and his assigned neighborhood school...in 3rd grade 16% of the kids read at grade level so that was never even a consideration.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

776 posts, read 634,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's not that it's a burden to his father or to us, I started the thread to try to see if other people thought this amount of homework was normal. I never had homework in kindergarten and neither did my kids, it just surprises me that he has this much work every night.
Are you happy about it? because you put a sad face in your opening post so I assume you are not happy. Is it normal? Not for normal American Kindergarten, by standard, it should only be 10 minutes.

Keep it mind that when you keep the kid in the same school for elementary, home work will be enormous and it can even take away some of your time.

This may be off topic: I transferred my 4th grader kid from a normal neighborhood school to one of the nation's top HS. We were shocked by the amount of homework. In Math alone, he is required to complete a HW consist of 30 Math questions (basic math operation, algebra, word problems), and that is on daily basis. My kid initially cannot complete without my help, but now he is improving, from 3 hours completion down to only 1 hour with less supervision, (that's a good improvement). Then there's reading, Science HW, 2nd language homework, school projects etc...He can only sneak 15-20 minutes of play everyday. I almost give up and pull him out of the school but I think the problem is not the long hours of doing a homework but he was always out of focus doing his homework. If he is focused, he can do it in 45 minutes, if not, he will be there staring at his homework for 3 hours. He used to sleep 11PM just completing all his HWs for the next day but now, he can sleep as early as 9PM.

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Are you happy about it? because you put a sad face in your opening post so I assume you are not happy. Is it normal? Not for normal American Kindergarten, by standard, it should only be 10 minutes.

Keep it mind that when you keep the kid in the same school for elementary, home work will be enormous and it can even take away some of your time.

This may be off topic: I transferred my 4th grader kid from a normal neighborhood school to one of the nation's top HS. We were shocked by the amount of homework. In Math alone, he is required to complete a HW consist of 30 Math questions (basic math operation, algebra, word problems), and that is on daily basis. My kid initially cannot complete without my help, but now he is improving, from 3 hours completion down to only 1 hour with less supervision, (that's a good improvement). Then there's reading, Science HW, 2nd language homework, school projects etc...He can only sneak 15-20 minutes of play everyday. I almost give up and pull him out of the school but I think the problem is not the long hours of doing a homework but he was always out of focus doing his homework. If he is focused, he can do it in 45 minutes, if not, he will be there staring at his homework for 3 hours. He used to sleep 11PM just completing all his HWs for the next day but now, he can sleep as early as 9PM.
I don't think I posted a 'sad face' at the end of my first post I did add a 'confused' emoji. The kid is 5 years old this feels like too much homework, that is solely based on my evaluation of how he struggles to focus for an hour or an hour and a half. My son is going to try to get him to do some of the work in the morning before he goes to school, hopefully this will make it easier for him after school.

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

242 posts, read 37,312 times
I went to school so long ago that there was no kindergarten. I started school in first grade and we weren't expected to know how to write, read or do third level calculus problems

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

29,843 posts, read 37,222,619 times
Oh my. I'll just say that I went to half day kindergarten. During that half day afternoon, we had a snack including tomato juice, and rested on mats, so I can't remember actually learning anything. It was more about being away from mommy, being on time, and learning how to follow school rules.
I do not even remember learning to write my name, or the letters until first grade.

Anyway, I'm appalled at the idea of homework in kindergarten. As you can see, I learned my letters just fine, despite this old fashioned approach.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

81,166 posts, read 90,437,558 times
Quote:
I had the same experience that you did. However, even our kids--born in the 80s--had homework in kindergarten. It took them about a half hour to complete, though.

Your grandson will be VERY prepared for first grade next year!
Or maybe not. There's no evidence that homework is all that beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education