U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 03:09 PM

64,657 posts, read 54,231,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have family in Norway and they said that kindergarten is free and non-mandatory for children aged 3-5. The focus is on teaching independence and stimulating creativity and is not focused on academics. It is a separate system from the Norwegian academic system. They enter the academic system at age 6 when they start primary school (Barneskole) In their first year of primary school they play games which teach the alphabet, and simple adding and subtracting and they begin to learn to speak English. Class size is 12 or 13 in lower grades, usually with one teacher and one or two teacher aides. She said the only homework she has seen her grandchildren bring home is work that they voluntarily choose to complete at home and that usually happens when they are anxious to finish a project so they can begin a new one.
We saw a film about that "kindergarten" for 3-5 year olds in Sweden/Norway, on the Europe forum. I questioned that it was kindergarten, and someone explained that it wasn't. Apparently it's called that, but it's actually daycare, which is why there's such an age-range in it, and no academic component at all.

12 or 13 kids/class. Well, countries with major oil wealth can afford that in their public schools. Though to some extent, this reflects how rural much of Norway is. It's not all like Oslo, not by a long shot.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-10-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,446,309 times
I don't remember my older two receiving a lot of homework in Kinder. They attended Kinder in NC and GA. My son attender Kinder in CA. I wrote his teacher a letter regarding my thoughts and position on busywork/homework with current research to support my position. Kinder was half day for him.

I'm not big on homework in lower grades at all. I have many friends who are educators in districts that have started phasing it out. One of my good friends teaches 5th grade French immersion and has never assigned homework. I'm sure these approaches center around different pedagogies. I don't think homework in lower grades reinforces information or facilitates mastery and retention.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:02 PM

20,018 posts, read 7,972,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We saw a film about that "kindergarten" for 3-5 year olds in Sweden/Norway, on the Europe forum. I questioned that it was kindergarten, and someone explained that it wasn't. Apparently it's called that, but it's actually daycare, which is why there's such an age-range in it.

12 or 13 kids/class. Well, countries with major oil wealth can afford that in their public schools. Though to some extent, this reflects how rural much of Norway is. It's not all like Oslo, not by a long shot.
I think the small class size also reflects how much importance they place on education.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I think the small class size also reflects how much importance they place on education.
Well, and they can afford to allocate the necessary level of funding to achieve small class size. Are teachers unionized there, I wonder? Do they need to be? Probably not. And the population is much smaller, and much more homogeneous, generally speaking. The issues are simpler.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:32 PM

4,292 posts, read 5,818,158 times
As an educator, I believe that is excessive. I do not think any homework should be regularly required in Kindergarten, but I would not worry about an occasional assignment or encouragement to read books at home, etc.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
As an educator, I believe that is excessive. I do not think any homework should be regularly required in Kindergarten, but I would not worry about an occasional assignment or encouragement to read books at home, etc.
If they're already learning basic math, I can see how having a short worksheet to do at home could be helpful. But at that level, it wouldn't have to be a daily thing; once/week to practice the skill presented that week would be enough.

I suppose if we're getting on the "why is all this necessary as homework" bandwagon, we could ask that about most of the take-home assignments. Why end the story time identifying "emotion words"? Can't they do that in class? Doesn't the teacher read to them in class? Can't they count sentences in class, and get the idea? And if they do do those things in class, why is the OP's grandson stressing out at home, instead of breezing through these little tasks? He can't enjoy story time at home, because he's stressing over whatever the small analytical task is? That shouldn't be happening, if he's already familiar with the concepts from classtime.

It might be eye-opening for a parent to observe a partial school day with the kids, to see what's going on.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM

11,462 posts, read 11,456,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Again, I'd have to ask the people pushing it what the point is, what's the goal, in basically starting 1sts grade in pre-K? If it doesn't result in better-prepared students in the 2nd half of highschool, or in more students who are fully college-ready, why bother? Why push this on the kids? Not all kids are capable of rising to the expectation.
You do wonder. And with AP classes offered in high school, students needing a 4.2 GPA to apply to many colleges (and still getting turned away), pressure to move the K-12 school year up to August from September due to AP testing and summer school schedules.........where does it all lead? Finishing college in fewer than four years? No. Getting a better job? Lots of unemployed or underemployed people with bachelor's degrees. It's hard to determine whether all this pressure is truly beneficial for the student in the long run.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 PM

56 posts, read 20,787 times
I think any sort of online work for K is b.s...

I have one on K. He gets homework Monday - Thursday, which I think is ridiculous. However, it takes us 10 minutes max.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 AM

8,953 posts, read 2,113,222 times
Quote:
It's all assigned work, he almost always finishes his work but when he doesn't it is sent home in a separate folder for him to complete in addition to his homework.
No,it's not normal ,at all!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 PM

377 posts, read 244,621 times
Not normal amount. My oldest son is in 1st grade and gets nowhere near that amount of yours. He only gets math workbook to work on that is send every Monday and required to turn in by Friday morning. His teacher only wants 20 mins max spend on those 1-2 page worksheets, which I think is reasonable, and any longer I'm to write in a note to indicate too long and why.

reading is still highly encouraged with 20 mins of reading daily. That is it as far his homework is concerned, he has a long day as it is, doesn't get on the bus till 8:45 to begin his day at 8:55 and dismissed by 3:55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education