U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 PM

20,065 posts, read 7,980,316 times

Advertisements

My grandson started K in August in a highly rated public fundamental elementary school. He is assigned a minimum of 30 minutes of homework a night but if you make him do everything that the teacher sends home it's more like an hour to 90 minutes a night. On top of the homework he has to log into lexiacore5 every night.

Here's a sample list of the homework for a week:
  • Read a book with the child each night and then have the child answer questions about the book.
  • 3-6 pages of math or identifying or drawing shapes (who knew a K kid needed to know hexagons, trapezoids and pentagons!)
  • 4 other tasks, such as i.e rhyming, identifying similar starting sounds in words. Identify a sentence in a book count the words in a sentence & identify a paragraph & count the sentences. Practice working with the calendar and with telling time. Cut shapes out paste them on paper so they tell a story.
  • Practice in Lexia

Is that normal? I sort of remember taking naps in K and learning how not to cry when I was away from my mom but I sure don't remember homework
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM

1,904 posts, read 877,196 times
That's a lot of homework for a K! When I taught K, the "homework" was to read books with parent. If homework is assigned, general rule of thumb is 10 minutes per grade (e.g., 2nd graders-- 20 minutes; 4th graders-- 40 minutes). Many schools don't give homework at all, but 90 minutes a night in K is a sure way to make a kid hate school. I wouldn't say that's normal, but I also think that there is more pressure heading down the grades for the high stakes state testing that starts (for most schools) in 3rd grade.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 PM

12,410 posts, read 6,943,870 times
I don't remember any homework at all for my children when they were in kindergarten. We were encouraged to read with them nightly and to practice counting to twenty but there was nothing formal.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 PM

It seems like a lot to me too. My husband and I watch him while his Dad is at work and we try to make the homework fun for him, we take him to the library and let him pick out the books we will read, and we take little breaks, but after about 45 minutes his eyes start to glaze over. By the time he's done and starts working on Lexia he just sits there randomly pressing buttons ugh.

Last week the teacher sent home a handwritten note with his homework that on top of everything else for the week, he needed to be able to draw a trapezoid and a hexagon which seems to infer that all the other kids already knew how to do it /sigh

If it's not normal for a kid his age to get this much homework (and I started this thread to try to get an idea if it is or not) I am going to have his dad talk to the teacher about it and if that doesn't work maybe he can discuss it with the principal.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 PM

10,766 posts, read 15,484,128 times
It's ridiculous. What are they hoping to accomplish with this.
On the other hand..., my son is in 6th grade and we were informed by his school this year that there will be no more hw....! Like WTH happened to balance?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 PM

81,413 posts, read 91,857,189 times
Mine had no homework in K that I can remember. Before we moved to CO, we lived in a district in NY that did have HW, in K. The amount of HW your grandson has, OP, sounds like a lot.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 PM

So the consensus here seems to be that it's an unreasonable amount of work but how do we deal with it? The teacher is 65 and not the most pleasant person I've met. She uses some kind of app (class dojo) in which she grades the kids on behavior every week, and one day she wrote "he does not sit up in class" My son called her and asked what that meant, was he laying down? She said "no I meant that I want all the children to sit up straight and sometime he slouches"

Old 09-08-2017, 11:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
Is it all assigned homework that all kids have to do at home, or it leftovers that the kid didn't finish during the schoolday? If it's the latter, you might work on improving his stamina for staying on task and finishing things in a timely manner. Building up those skills doesn't have to be boring - you can do things like "race" one another to finish a sheet, time how fast he can pick up his toys, etc.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
In general I don't think there should be homework during kinder other than daily reading, unless the kid is excessively absent. But I think often when a school has a large homework load that's in response to parents wanting demanding programming and seeing homework as a way for their kids to get ahead.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Is it all assigned homework that all kids have to do at home, or it leftovers that the kid didn't finish during the schoolday? If it's the latter, you might work on improving his stamina for staying on task and finishing things in a timely manner. Building up those skills doesn't have to be boring - you can do things like "race" one another to finish a sheet, time how fast he can pick up his toys, etc.
It's all assigned work, he almost always finishes his work but when he doesn't it is sent home in a separate folder for him to complete in addition to his homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education