Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 AM

564 posts, read 448,354 times

Advertisements

More support for my thinking that putting kids in many of our public schools borders on child abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 01:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Certainly sent a message to the teens. ANd that in itself is a learning experience.
My support is for the school system that acknowledges the prevelience of drugs/alcohol on premise is a NO no. Too bad for many they aren't GETTING the true nature of safety on tax payer property.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:40 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
More support for my thinking that putting kids in many of our public schools borders on child abuse.
3rd here are thousands of public schools in this country and most are just fine. All institutions can have problems... But we need to keep level headed about the extent of these problems.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
high school kids dont have any business with beer cans....21 is 21.....if you wanna drink before then drink with your parents if its legal in your state.thats what i did...

Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 AM

776 posts, read 393,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
high school kids dont have any business with beer cans....21 is 21.....if you wanna drink before then drink with your parents if its legal in your state.thats what i did...
Very few of the students were drinking. How would you feel if you or your kids were bloodtested because someone else was drinking?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
What was the rationale for forcing a blood test instead of a breathalyzer?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
high school kids dont have any business with beer cans....21 is 21.

You're right.

Now tell me which of those 75 kids had been drinking beer. If the school had evidence of a particular student drinking beer it might be appropriate to test that student.

The others: absolutely not.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 09-11-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
This is exactly why we privatized prom and homecoming dances in our school district. Because the response from the school district is heavy handed like this. The very MOST they should have done is line the kids up and breathalize them. And then deal with those who blew alcohol. To force the kids to go to a medical facility to pay for having blood drawn (in this area, that's $500 in the emergency room) to prove their innocence.

Before Prom and Homecoming, students are breathalized entering the building and if they blow alcohol, parents are called to come get them. That's it. No cops, no school officials, etc.

If during the event they appear to be drunk, they are rebreathalized and again, parents can be called.

That's a LOT of overreaction in this case, to find 5 kids who you could probably spot with your eyes are the guilty ones. And I'm not sure I'd allow my student to attend another football game if that's the way innocent kids were going to be treated.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,782 times
Since the school district says it will cover the cost of the tests for those who tested negative, I want to know how much this cost the town. Drug tests aren't cheap and they had over 50 kids get tested.

I understand schools wanting to take a hard line of substance abuse, but this goes too far.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My view: Principal should be fired immediately and made to pay restitution out their own pocket. I know that won't happen, but I am so sick of all this zero tolerance, prove you're innocent stuff from schools. They can destroy a kid's future with a stroke of a pen and no repercussions for being wrong. What a contrast with the Utah case where the nurse is a national hero for refusing a blood test without consent or court order.

And don't try to pretend they had consent. Consent was extorted by the nature of the "refusal to take the blood test is assumed positive and get kicked out of school." That isn't consent, that's using the ability of the school to destroy a kid's future to get compliance.

And educators wonder why so many in the public won't support them.
As a former principal (retired), I tend to agree with you, although I'm not sure he should be fired...but certainly disciplined.

I think what some people are not seeing is this: a beer can is thrown onto the field and as a result 74 innocent people are blood-tested? That's shot gun justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education