U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 AM

14,032 posts, read 6,462,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The cop was in the wrong. He tried to bully his way. I don't think the cop should be fired but training is needed. Too many cops assume a badge gives them permission to do as they please.

As for the kids at the game, imo it's a school sponsored event so the school rules apply. Don't like the rules? Don't go to the game.
I would like to see the "school rule" that says the school will require mass blood testing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,766,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a former principal (retired), I tend to agree with you, although I'm not sure he should be fired...but certainly disciplined.

I think what some people are not seeing is this: a beer can is thrown onto the field and as a result 74 innocent people are blood-tested? That's shot gun justice.
Yes, I agree. It would be much better if we'd taught our children to step forward and say, "Excuse me sir/madam, it was John Smith over there sitting in row 3 seat 10 that threw the can and drank the beer, we all saw him."

All those parents who claim to trust their kids, and taught them right from wrong.. just may have missed a step in the process.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:33 PM

7,020 posts, read 1,751,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Since the school district says it will cover the cost of the tests for those who tested negative, I want to know how much this cost the town. Drug tests aren't cheap and they had over 50 kids get tested.

I understand schools wanting to take a hard line of substance abuse, but this goes too far.

However it's not really the school district that is covering it, it's the taxpayers! IMHO this was uncalled for! If it was my child they would have a lawsuit! No one is sticking my kid with a needle! Ridiculous!

Old 09-11-2017, 06:38 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,214,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As for the kids at the game, imo it's a school sponsored event so the school rules apply. Don't like the rules? Don't go to the game.
Law and order side wants alchohol seperated from underage youth by whatever *legal* means necessary, including consequences for actions.

I was caught underage drinking in the dorms, once. Went before dean of students. There was some sort of penalty, this was 1986 and I was about 19. That's all, could have been worse. Never caught again, didn't abuse the privlege either from that point forward.

Now: the civil libertarian part of me, OTOH, asks the following:

Could those students, if asked (cajoled, demanded) to take breathizer have stated, prior to testing:

"I rescind my petition to be on school property" and immediately walked or driven themselves off the school grounds?

Is this not what one says if hassled at the border: "I rescind my petition to enter your country," and politely go to the turnaround back out? I've never had to do that, nor have I ever been invited for detailed customs search other than having my passport (U.S.) and my passenger's (French) stamped by Canada.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 PM

1,537 posts, read 468,617 times
From this thread, I got the idea that the principal essentially dragged the kids to a doctor to get their blood tests.

But from the story at the link in the first post,
"After the can of beer was found, about 75 students who were in the bleachers were taken to classrooms as school officials contacted parents so they could pick them up. Each student was given a form — a rule-out test — requiring blood and urine samples.
Parents were given two hours to get to health facilities in Morristown, Dover and Denville so their children could be screened. The students faced suspension from school if they didn’t complete the screening."

That's a little different story.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM

1,684 posts, read 889,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
From this thread, I got the idea that the principal essentially dragged the kids to a doctor to get their blood tests.

But from the story at the link in the first post,
"After the can of beer was found, about 75 students who were in the bleachers were taken to classrooms as school officials contacted parents so they could pick them up. Each student was given a form ó a rule-out test ó requiring blood and urine samples.
Parents were given two hours to get to health facilities in Morristown, Dover and Denville so their children could be screened. The students faced suspension from school if they didnít complete the screening."

That's a little different story.
Suspension from school- that is outrageous. You better believe if I'm a parent in that district a lawsuit is getting filed.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM

8,480 posts, read 5,838,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Suspension from school- that is outrageous. You better believe if I'm a parent in that district a lawsuit is getting filed.
Yew betcha! Stick up for that little slug of a kid, no matter what he does. If he's been drinking, by God, they better find that out the legal way! No way they're gonna pin the rap on your kid - the drunken sot.

And even if they catch him, let's make 'em pay. Later in life when the little drunken sot turns to drugs we can use high price attorneys and get him off then, too. After all, if he want to drink and smoke pot, who are we to tell him he can't or force him to be accountable?

Yeah! Hillary For President! America is just great the way it is!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:08 PM

41,041 posts, read 45,301,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I was always told my son when something at school didn't seem right, and this was from the time he was in elementary school, do what he thought was right, and I would deal with the school. That works when one can trust their child. He was always very mature and independent. He is now 40 years old and has done very well for himself.

My kid is five and I told him the same thing last year when he started school.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:49 PM

202 posts, read 58,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hillary For President!
Did you have to make it political?

Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 AM

7,469 posts, read 3,900,264 times
While I don't agree with the blood test (I think a breathalyzer would have done the trick if one was available), I also understand the principal's concern. And you know very well that if a teen got behind the wheel while intoxicated and killed/injured someone in a DUI (and word got out that the administration knew about beer cans at the event), then the school district would've been sued for failure to supervise, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education