Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, if you can call Oxnard California a well to do neighborhood. This is working class. Then again the homes are not cheap. We live in a 4 bedroom, 2 and a half bath, 2 car attached garage, 1,670 square foot home that was built in 1962. Although the homes in the area are not exactly cheap. Our neighborhood goes for a tad over $500,000 per home.
LOL Yes, words are so imprecise for economics. But 1/2 million dollar homes should provide a good tax base for the schools. So I would think it is significantly better than average for the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
LOL Yes, words are so imprecise for economics. But 1/2 million dollar homes should provide a good tax base for the schools. So I would think it is significantly better than average for the US.
That probably is very true. The tax base includes newer home communities that are in the $750,000 to $1,200,000 range, homes at the beach and harbor area are in the $1million to $6 million range. So I guess the school district isn't doing too bad.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
So how much coding, robotics, math etc. everybody in this thread does in the course of their work day? Something around none even if you are in Sci&Eng. Right? 99.9% of work force is just data entry extentions of computers and machines who forget/ never learn how it all works without any negatives to their data entry function and related productivities. That is what computerization is all about. And specialization leads to seasonal professionals forgetting basics because they are paid to apply procedures and methods to a problem, so basics they teach in HS and colleges are just forgotten.
You said it better than I could have. The doctors I worked with could not have told you how a computer works. (Well, maybe 1 or two of the five could have.) But they could get their work done.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You said it better than I could have. The doctors I worked with could not have told you how a computer works. (Well, maybe 1 or two of the five could have.) But they could get their work done.
Did they know they wanted to become doctors before 10th grade? Would it have hurt them to do a little programming in 7th grade?

Now we have this:

https://play.google.com/store/search...l%20simulation

Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:

Computer Science should be required for Medical School | Fred Trotter

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3622380/

https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/201...rning-to-code/

If a doctor is going to work in research, they would have no choice but to learn R. Of course, the majority of doctors do not go into the research field.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Did they know they wanted to become doctors before 10th grade? Would it have hurt them to do a little programming in 7th grade?

Now we have this:

https://play.google.com/store/search...l%20simulation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Computer Science should be required for Medical School | Fred Trotter

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3622380/

https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/201...rning-to-code/

If a doctor is going to work in research, they would have no choice but to learn R. Of course, the majority of doctors do not go into the research field.
Oh, jeez, you guys! Some of you computer people can't see the forest for the trees!

Actually, many people make the decision to become a doctor early, like middle school to early high school. The docs I worked with were all old enough that they weren't learning computers in kindergarten, like my Millennial kids did. No, it wouldn't hurt them to learn programming in 7th grade, but it would be generally useless, as many have said, by the time they're out in practice at 30. And yes, most don't go into research. Those that do, can take the programming then. If a 7th grader can learn it, a graduate physician can. If you think health care is expensive now, just add a few more courses to the med school curriculum to make it longer.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, jeez, you guys! Some of you computer people can't see the forest for the trees!
What is a computer people? I went to college for electrical engineering.

But what is happening with genetics in medicine? The human genome project would not be completed by now without computers. They are in your car. They are in your television. Soon they will be in your refrigerator.

https://www.journals.elsevier.com/co...-and-medicine/

Resistance is Futile.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
What is a computer people? I went to college for electrical engineering.

But what is happening with genetics in medicine? The human genome project would not be completed by now without computers. They are in your car. They are in your television. Soon they will be in your refrigerator.

https://www.journals.elsevier.com/co...-and-medicine/

Resistance is Futile.
Actually, few MDs are working in the genome project, that would be immunologists and other types of PhDs. And yeah, I don't know a darn thing about computing, but I drive a car that has lots of computer equipment, type on a computer such as this, use my smartphone, etc.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
. And yeah, I don't know a darn thing about computing, but I drive a car that has lots of computer equipment, type on a computer such as this, use my smartphone, etc.
I think computer literacy is bunk. People should be Technologically Astute. But it is like most people in every area of expertise try to make their specialty as mysterious as possible. I worked for IBM. I could not find benchmark information on a new computer we were selling. I had to write my own benchmarks and test it myself. I would not have bought it.

Notice that Volkswagen could program a car to determine when it was being tested for pollution but most of the cars can't indicate why the Check Engine light is on. The Internet of Things is going to be as stupid as the people selling the Things want them to be.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Most people can use a computer like a tool. But it's nice when you can make something on a computer that will do exactly what you want it to do for you. You can customize it. I think this is where the future is heading which is why you need computer literacy. With a little knowledge you can make your own app and make it do exactly what you need it to do for your own individual tasks. You can buy clothes off the rack or you can make your own clothes that fit your own body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education