Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
And I really don't like to hear "fixina", which I assume is short for "fixing to". How are you "fixina go to mah sister house"? Even if you were to say "I'm fixing to go to my sister's house", what exactly are you fixing?
Ha!

When I lived in Minnesota I heard 'finna' a lot. I'm finna go to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM

152 posts, read 469,782 times
It really frustrates me when my my sister says "fustrates", I want to correct her every time.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,865 times
Living in this south I hear alot of grammatical faux pas. And I have no problem with people using them. However, what really bugs me is when people write like this. Not on a forum like this-but on essays, emails to colleagues etc.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Most people mispronounce the word forte. It is NOT pronounced fortay. It is pronounced fort.

Your turn....
"Due to." Most of the time, you want to say "because of." I'm amazed at how widespread this misuse has become.

"Due to" modifies nouns, usually immediately follows a form of the verb "to be," and answers "what." It's synonymous with "caused by."

"Because of" modifies verbs and answers "why."

So imagine someone says "I can't eat pizza due to my strict diet." Because "due to" is an adjective phrase, it needs a noun to modify. The only noun is "pizza." So this sentence is saying that the pizza was caused by someone's strict diet, which obviously makes no sense. "I can't eat pizza caused by my strict diet" -- that's literally what the sentence says.

*Why* can't you eat pizza? *Because of* your strict diet. When you're answering "why," you need "because of."

You could also say this: "My reluctance to eat pizza is due to my strict diet." That's proper usage. *What* is your reluctance caused by? Your strict diet. "Due to" works exactly the same way predicate adjectives do.

And for the love of God, please don't ever say "due to the fact that" when you can just say "because."

Grammar Shots

Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,612 times
In my prior post, I forgot about another common usage issue that bugs me. I don't know if it is technically incorrect but using the words "male" and "female" as nouns just irks me!

"We saw two females walking down the street". Um, two female whats?

I was always under the impression that "male" and "female" are adjectives, used to describe nouns. A female cat. A male bunny. I'd much prefer to hear people say "man", "woman", "lady", "fella". Heck I'd be happy with "guy" and "gal". Just no more "male" and "female", please!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Can you or someone set me straight on who/whom? I never got this...
"Who" is the subject; "whom" is the object. Easy mnemonic device: Use "whom" whenever you'd use "him." (Get it? They both end in "m.") "Who," then, correlates with "he" (or "she," just so we can be all-inclusive here!).

Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
In my prior post, I forgot about another common usage issue that bugs me. I don't know if it is technically incorrect but using the words "male" and "female" as nouns just irks me!

I was always under the impression that "male" and "female" are adjectives, used to describe nouns. A female cat. A male bunny. I'd much prefer to hear people say "man", "woman", "lady", "fella". Heck I'd be happy with "guy" and "gal". Just no more "male" and "female", please!
I'm with you. You also hear the exact opposite -- "woman" being used as an adjective, as in "women authors." Gee, who are my favorite *men authors*? Sounds ridiculous!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I wash clothes and when I do it, I do it without an R in the word.

I have never been known to warsh my clothes.

Another thing that makes me crazy is when people take a word and change the meaning of it, how many threads have you seen that start out What does it mean to you? when it comes to a certain word, well it doesn't matter what it means to you, the definition is a real, solid thing, its in the dictionary, use it, learn it, know it.
Too Funny! Because for some reason I always Warsh my clothes. I don't know why I just do!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,612 times
I always remember that "whom" goes with "to". "To whom should I give the letter?" as opposed to "Who should I give the letter to?" I know "To whom..." sounds a bit more stuffy, but it's the correct usage.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,608 times
Quote:

This seems a perfect example of what Dick Cavett calls "copspeak".
"The individual entered the establishment and purchased a large popcorn..." and so on.
"copspeak"! ...EEK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education