Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:07 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times

Advertisements

Your for "you are" instead of "you're".
Apart for "a part" instead of, well, "a part".
's mistakenly used for plurals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
I kant stands evyting mispronounciated!

See if you can figure out this gem that I hear constantly: RDISDEM
Hint - A coworker and I are searching for misplaced items. She finds them, holds them up (at which point I am already cringing because I know what is coming next) and utters the fatal RDISDEM?
Give up?
It needs two levels of decoding.
1) R = Are, DIS = this, DEM = them
2) Are = Are, this = these, them = the ones
RDISDEM = Are these the ones

Old 08-16-2008, 06:07 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
....when he types stuff out for store signs (not issued by the corporate office), I know it's him, and not one of the other managers...
I know it's he. (To remember which to use, think "him" can't do something but "he" can.)

Old 08-16-2008, 09:32 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Default Speaking of restaurant signs...

I recall years ago, the local Shoney's restaurant had a scrolling message below their outdoor sign, and the scroll was advertising their special "deserts." Once inside I asked if they could edit the sign (they could), so I suggested they correct their spelling error.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I know it's he. (To remember which to use, think "him" can't do something but "he" can.)
Thanks for that correction! I never got a correction even from a teacher like that. I'll try and remember it!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
I recall years ago, the local Shoney's restaurant had a scrolling message below their outdoor sign, and the scroll was advertising their special "deserts." Once inside I asked if they could edit the sign (they could), so I suggested they correct their spelling error.
This reminds me of my smart-aleck brother, who had invited a crowd to his house, and I emailed him and offered to bring "desert". He made such a big deal about whether I was bringing the sahara or the mojave, that I searched recipes until I found one for something called "sand cake". It's made with cream cheese and crushed graham crackers. I finished it off with a picture of a camel on top. So I brought desert!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
All of the sudden.
Those one guys.
Whazzup?
And how Generation Y'ers tend to end speaking sentences on a high note, particularly those granola chomping earth muffin types.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times
I have a hard time hearing when people say "ask" as "Aks". Anytime my students say it- I correct it and make it a mini-lesson. Say it the way it is spelled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education