Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
What really annoys me are people who try to appear intelligent and fall flat on their faces with mistakes like "per say" instead of "per se" or "deep seeded" instead of "deep-seated." Misuse of Latin prepositions is a favorite -- for example, I just heard a girl on a college radio station say, "Let's see what's going on per the weather tonight." What in the world? That's not even close to correct.
I know what you mean. I remember back in the 80s, everyone began using the word "utilize" instead of "use". They mean the same thing, and to me, "utilize" sounds extremely pretentious. The purpose of language is to communicate.

That reminds me of George Carlin's rant about that a long time ago. He used the example of "slum" becoming "low income housing", then becoming "substandard housing", or something like that (I don't think I'm quoting him verbatim).

Hey, "verbatim"! There's another pretentious word that means "exactly". Maybe I should start a new thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:10 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
INK PEN!!!!!!!! All pens have ink. That's redundant.

Also, I have an issue with the usage of the word GENDER. Gender is a grammatical term that implies the feminine or masculine attributes. It has become acceptable to use GENDER to differentiate between the male and female sexes. Acceptable is not always proper.
"What is your GENDER?" No it is what is your sex?

SEEN...I SEEN that instead of I saw that. That one gets to me.

There are so many more...

Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,434 times
I don't bar tend, I tend bar!!!
I tended bar for a long time, and it always bugged me!

And, I think "verbatim" is more appropriate than 'exactly'.
..or would be 'apprapo'?

And, what the heck is the origin of the word 'hater'? It's so common now, I've even heard it on CNN!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
That's funny!
Also, I have an issue with the usage of the word GENDER. Gender is a grammatical term that implies the feminine or masculine attributes. It has become acceptable to use GENDER to differentiate between the male and female sexes. Acceptable is not always proper.
"What is your GENDER?" No it is what is your sex?
OK, the gender thing is a tough one. I have a BA in Psychology, but I still reflect on my first class, when I thought I understood 'gender', but the way the teacher kept explaining it, I ended up totally confused. I went on to work in research, where this term is frequently used. To this day, I'm always thinking about how I use it, and wondering if I misunderstood.

Gender is what you identify as, not what your sex is. And, yes, it is often used incorrectly.
Ya know, I'm still puzzling over this...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 AM

106 posts, read 392,808 times
Like !!!

"I was, like, going to, like, the store to, like, get some new, like, shoes."

Argh!

Also -- the way that people put a question mark at the end of their sentences when they speak. So the above sentence would be said thusly:

"I was, like, going to, like, the store to, like, get some new, like, shoes?"

Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Preventative - not sure that this is really right. I'm used to "preventive".

Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Affect and Effect.

Insure and Ensure.

Four simple words. Why the heck can't people understand how and when to use them?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
How about a "hot water heater" ? If the water is hot, why are you heating it ???

It's simply a "water heater," folks ..... !

Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Yes, yes, yes,
but what about the words that are spelled wrong in Websters, like:
dickshunary
xtra
nergy
sicolgy
atenshun
lelfant
lementary

Any more?

Oh, and folks that hate how words are used should use dislike.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
Seems anyone can write copy for websites these days! Thought you'd enjoy this one I just found describing a leather sofa...

"The Sofa by Pangea blend of style and functionality truly sheik; while uniquely maintaining it’s minimalist beauty."

Sheik!!! Do we think they meant "chic" ???

And don't even get me started on the "it's".......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education