Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 05:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
What the hell is "Human Development" that requires a degree?

Anything related to psychology?

There are so many degrees that seem to have something to do with computer science.

Information Science, Information & Communications Technology, Computer Science, Data Processing, blah, blah, blah!

Hey guys all of these devices use the von Neumann Architecture. IBM didn't tell me even though they hired him as a consultant in 1952.

We are in an information hiding system where you must pay for info to be dribbled out. And much of what is dribbled is worthless.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:38 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Waste your time worrying, if you want, OP. The current anti college movement is only meant to encourage trade schools and apprenticeships for those who are better suited to those jobs.

There will always be professions that require college, but there is also a woeful shortage of tradesmen who are just as valuable and highly paid.

If I need my appendix out, I want a doctor. If the doctor is building a house, he wants a plumber and an electrician and an hvac guy.
I feel like anti-college people went to college thinking it was a shortcut to a career... little did they expect that they still had to work hard to get one

and no, doing homework and taking tests is not working hard for a career, it's working for a grade

all the push for trade schools, another way to get people funneled into a "career", but they leave out the physical work aspect of those careers. wonder how many people would do those jobs anyhow

Old 10-28-2017, 06:56 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I suppose we all should ignore BLS and other legitimate sources of data, and instead believe some random YouTube mavens & their rants.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
ROFL

I a person just reads the books that constitutes a "Liberal Arts" education and does not take the courses, what will they be missing? A teacher paraphrasing the books? I do find it amusing that "Liberal Arts" people make such a big deal about Fahrenheit 451.

Burn those books! LOL
I would read books that constitute liberal arts education before going to college. And let me tell you after going to college I could say just reading them without going to college did not suffice. College isn't just about reading books. It helps with cognitive thinking.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:17 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How does one brainwash?

By giving failing grades to all who question Comrade Professor?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I suppose we all should ignore BLS and other legitimate sources of data, and instead believe some random YouTube mavens & their rants.
Maybe these are people who either didn't take statistics or failed it. Anti-intellectuals rather believe anecdotal stories or wacky people ranting on YouTube than statistics. To them, statistics are either made up or meaningless, but some poorly-educated person on the Internet has to be telling the truth. They also believe media sensationalism from journalists who have probably never taken a research methods course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Perhaps the reason we don't have enough working mental health professionals is precisely because we put a license barrier up, requiring people to get postgraduate degrees that don't make them that much better of a counselor but lock many people out of the field ?
Undergraduate programs don't even come close to preparing people to treat mental health disorders, and they usually don't require long enough internships that give students hands-on experience with counseling. People don't want to make the investment because employers don't want to pay mental health professionals what they're worth. It's basic supply and demand. If they paid enough, then they would have more people completing graduate programs and applying to openings.

About a half a dozen states allow psychologists to prescribe medication now due to the shortage of psychiatrists, but these psychologists have to go back to school and earn a master's degree in psychopharmacology. I agree that this is a huge barrier. Psychologists should come out of their PhD and PsyD programs prepared to prescribe medication.

Last edited by L210; 10-28-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 08:43 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
People who are serious about their education are going to get it... even with the present distractions.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:30 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
Realistically, only 5-10% of the population should need to go to college. Everyone else can skip the debt.

A college degree does not make a person smart (don't put the cart before the horse). All it proves is that a person paid for college and sat through 4 years of classes which amounted to high school material 30 years ago.

We need to make school at all levels more difficult. The trend of making things easier has only served to dumb down the quality of our education systems and has made our population mentally lazy. As it stands today a college degree might actually be a negative in the eyes of many employers (who knows what lies and fallacies that kid was taught)

Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I feel like anti-college people went to college thinking it was a shortcut to a career... little did they expect that they still had to work hard to get one

and no, doing homework and taking tests is not working hard for a career, it's working for a grade

all the push for trade schools, another way to get people funneled into a "career", but they leave out the physical work aspect of those careers. wonder how many people would do those jobs anyhow
Huh?

The people I know in the trades careers love the physical aspect of their jobs. If I'm spending upwards of $80,000 for an education, I best be able to find a suitable job after turning the tassel. If not? IMO its a huge waste of money.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Meh.

I know what I see. And I see a lot of college graduates - even those who've found jobs in their fields - struggling to even put food on the table. What's the point? Why spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to be steeped in loans and making a pittance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education