U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:57 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,047,997 times

Advertisements

I always compare it to Zillow. I really wish people would stop thinking it is a reliable source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:11 AM

196 posts, read 80,251 times
The basic data is going to be the schools that are mostly white are going to be achieving, the schools with mostly minority students are not going to be achieving. Mixed race schools are going to be in between. Black kids are taught by teachers that they're stupid and they're assumed not to have skills if their grades are poor.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:44 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,433,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
Black kids are taught by teachers that they're stupid and they're assumed not to have skills if their grades are poor.
I'm sorry you feel that your teachers "taught" you that you're stupid. But there are other opinions out there. Here's one of them:
Opinion: Black self-sabotage in education - Opinion - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 AM

196 posts, read 80,251 times
I'm not black. I went to 99.9% white schools growing up. I was in teacher education for college and all the at risk and special education classes I was in were majority black students, even where blacks were a minority in that school. I hear teachers saying things about black kids such as it being amazing they show up to school at all with the lives they lead, that not everyone is good at math, etc.

So basically, kids that can master video games, write music, or other talents they have cannot take the initiative to seek out the resources to help them with math, when they have YouTube, Khan Academy, Purple Math, etc at their fingertips. No, it's not inability, it's laziness when kids cannot learn math usually, and when it's an Asian kid they never accept learning disability as an excuse.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 PM

931 posts, read 482,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2SOCAL View Post
Thank you for your post. We have been looking at school ratings in the Denver area using Redfin, which uses Greatschools, and have been a little surprised at the overall, let's just say 'not great' ratings.

I think saying that the data is 'worthless' may be a little strong, but that is your opinion. I think that any online review site of any kind, is gamed to some degree. For that reason, they should be used as only one of a set of tools or methods for rating anything from restaurants to home services to schools.

Do you think Denver, or Colorado in general, has more parents opting their kids out of the standardized testing? If so, why do you think that may be the case?
Yes... Because we have laws that make opting out much easier than other states.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 114 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
3. Reviews are unreliable because I could find evidence that almost every top-reviewed school had solicited or coerced these reviews - I even found a few reports (location not mentioned) of parents of being told they were required to post 5 star reviews to get into the school (charters etc. mostly), etc.
Otowi,

Would you be willing to share the school with me? I want to know more about schools asking parents to give review to skew their results. Thank you.

Old Today, 12:24 PM

3,646 posts, read 1,892,337 times
Niche.com is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or