Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If we remove grade skipping from the discussion, other than the grade (for me it was 8-12 that were the worst) and public instead of private school, I think you have captured what there are many of us feel/experienced. For myself I often cannot find words to describe it and when I do, am often not believed because other's didn't experience what I did. From his posts, it seems like MITSGUY2001 is in the same boat. He describes things that while I understand from having experienced similar, there are many on this board who dismiss his inputs. Those who weren't there and haven't experienced it cannot understand and often can't believe it. I have no doubt there are many adults suffering today from some form of PTSD inflicted by the trauma of their school years.

Surreal is a good word to describe it. Even 40 years after graduation, the whole experience remains undefinable between some good memories and friends and a few good teachers on the one hand, and intense psychological torture (I can find no other word for it) inflicted by incompetent teachers and administrators and a few bullies.
The discussion is supposed to be about grade skipping. You could start your own thread about "fitting in".

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Anytime from10th to 12 grade. I feel like in high school people have different class and there is no set grade. Half of my friends were a year older and other half were a year younger. Class didn't matter much & after freshman year, it's all same
At my kids' high school, there really was no "grade skipping". What "grade" you were in was based on credits earned. If you took the required courses, you advanced a grade a year. Actually middle school was the same. You are right though, the classes at my kids' school anyway were more mixed with kids of different grade levels, particularly in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education