Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:52 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
That sounds like a long way of saying they manage the budget and troubleshoot problems that arise.

Maybe some weeks are hard, but it sounds like you could do the job and play golf half the school year and not miss any of your responsibilities.

For example, once the curriculum meets standards, there is no ongoing work to do.
BAHAHA........... OMG....

Dude, just writing curriculum that meets the standards is not enough. Surely you understand that writing something down doesn't magically assure it will happen. It is the superintendent's responsibility to make sure every classroom in every school is meeting those standards in practice, writing it is the easy part.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Again, if you take the superintendent's ridiculous salary, you could buy better buses that can start at colder temperatures.

If there is a medical call, the ambulances do not have a problem, so it is obviously possible.

How many areas in the world regularly have temperatures below -20 to -30?

Also, you say that that assumes the person's bodies have become acclimated.

How are they going to get acclimated if you close every time it gets cold?
Just to use a local example: Fairfax County has 70 ambulances and Fairfax County Schools has 1,534 buses. Same population base and same land mass is being served by these two fleets. I'm sure FCPS could afford to make 70 buses weather proofed to negative whatever temperature, but it gets too steep to spend when you start considering there 1,464 more. Plus, every bus must run every day they provide services during a specific time period, the ambulances can be rotated and if a few are sidelined because they won't start they can just send a different one that will run.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 AM

50,744 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Maybe you live in a bad area, but the lawyers usually handle the lawsuits, not the superintendent.

Hiring a lawyer is not a time intensive process.

Maybe if you're developing some new curriculum a year might be tough, but you can easily coast to years of no work with a good foundation.

What tasks are the superintendents responsible for where you live to make them work so hard?
I was in the 11th largest school district in the United States, and a well-respected one at that.

Naturally lawyers "handle" lawsuits, but it's very common when a teacher in a school is sued that the principal is also sued, and when a principal sued so is a superintendent. And, in large school systems they don't usually hire lawyers, they have lawyers on commission.

My school system had over 195 schools and centers, a fleet of over 1500 school buses, and approximately 185,000 students.

Perhaps you're the one in the "bad" area. And, perhaps you ought to run for the school board instead of just complaining about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Again, if you take the superintendent's ridiculous salary, you could buy better buses that can start at colder temperatures.

If there is a medical call, the ambulances do not have a problem, so it is obviously possible.

How many areas in the world regularly have temperatures below -20 to -30?

Also, you say that that assumes the person's bodies have become acclimated.

How are they going to get acclimated if you close every time it gets cold?
Really? School buses cost around $75,000 each. The average pay of a superintendent is about $125,000. That's no even 2 school buses, and even small school systems have many more school buses than that.

You just talk with nothing to back up your opinions.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I mean the districts that delay are a joke.

Why do the private school suck up to the public school decisions?

Do they get kickbacks in exchange for not making the public schools look bad?
More nonsense.

Show us your evidence that private schools give kickbacks to public schools.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Really? School buses cost around $75,000 each. The average pay of a superintendent is about $125,000. That's no even 2 school buses, and even small school systems have many more school buses than that.

You just talk with nothing to back up your opinions.
These days very few superintendents make under $200,000 in an average size district, and I think the latest averages I read were in the $250,000 range, although that paints a somewhat inaccurate picture since in reality there are wide swings, with some small districts still paying under $100,000. Just a fun fact, it is one of the few professions where African-Americans make more than other races, but of course, women still make less.

Regardless, you are correct, if you paid the superintendent nothing you still couldn't buy more than a couple of buses, and that is not even taking into account the extra bus driver salaries or maintenance costs.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
These days very few superintendents make under $200,000 in an average size district, and I think the latest averages I read were in the $250,000 range, although that paints a somewhat inaccurate picture since in reality there are wide swings, with some small districts still paying under $100,000. Just a fun fact, it is one of the few professions where African-Americans make more than other races, but of course, women still make less.

Regardless, you are correct, if you paid the superintendent nothing you still couldn't buy more than a couple of buses, and that is not even taking into account the extra bus driver salaries or maintenance costs.
My data was old. Here is current data: https://www1.salary.com/School-Super...nt-Salary.html

Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Both of you are off.

https://www1.salary.com/School-Super...nt-Salary.html
AASA | American Association of School Administrators

As of January, the median salary is $154K, and only the top 10% make more than $215K.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Their heating systems usually break overnight?

And no one thinks they should address that before it gets cold?
Is basic logic really that hard for you?

Many districts will have dozens if not hundreds of building, with an even larger number of heating systems. Temperatures drop at night, so heating systems have to work harder. Add in those prolonged, extreme cold spells like the ones that triggered this thread, and you really over working heating systems that are not designed for weather so outside the norm. Literally any mechanical system is more likely to fail under high stress situations. They can be facing multiple heating systems failing, and a system that is not equipped to have so many go down at once.

You keep acting like this was some normal chilly winter day. It was not. People design buildings and related systems based on climactic norms. Expecting schools to spend millions if not billions of dollars to invest in systems and redundancy that would prevent delays during every possible weather conditions is stupid.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The superintendent usually makes 6 figures. He should be able to get up early and go turn on the heat a few hours early to account for this.

If he can't exhibit foresight like that, he should be fired.
Our superintendent over sees well over 100 buildings across hundreds of square miles. In fact, except for very small towns with single buildings this is not an option. It is clear that you don't realize many if not most districts in this country are not single towns. Districts operate at town, city and even county level.

The school I work at is tiny, less than 300 kids, and yet we have over 15 different heating units, and the kids are brought on several dozen buses. Sure we are at one of the spectrum but you continually pretend districts are individual buildings is an even less likely scenario.

Become informed and stop spreading misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education