Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Well the lesson won't help as much as you think it will.

It will work for about 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, the kid MUST make new friends or when the 2 week period is over, things are going to go back to normal.

As long as the kid makes at least 1 friend during the 2 weeks, everything will eventually be OK, but if they do not, it will be like the lesson never happened.
It doesn't sound like this child has been unable to make friends in the past, so a two week period might be sufficient for her. Certainly, kids who aren't able to make friends on their own never do.

In my experience, a caring teacher can make this happen for kids who are socially capable. There was this one boy who was in my son's 1st grade class. He used arm brace crutches, and he was shy. And his head looked kind of disfigured. She had a morning where he introduced himself and his disability, and his baby pictures, and kids were respectfully allowed to try out his arm braces and ask questions.

That's what needs to happen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM

54 posts, read 78,677 times
Thank you Everyone for your input! I have talked to the teacher and she assured me that she is going to take care of this . Also I have already started her swimming and karate classes for her so she can be busy.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Well the lesson won't help as much as you think it will.

It will work for about 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, the kid MUST make new friends or when the 2 week period is over, things are going to go back to normal.

As long as the kid makes at least 1 friend during the 2 weeks, everything will eventually be OK, but if they do not, it will be like the lesson never happened.

I agree

It's kind of like prison in that way, isn't it?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM

492 posts, read 630,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabii View Post
Thank you Everyone for your input! I have talked to the teacher and she assured me that she is going to take care of this . Also I have already started her swimming and karate classes for her so she can be busy.
Please let us know how she does. Seems like it is hard to just be a kid anymore.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:49 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
I'm so sorry your daughter is going through this. What is key, is for her to make at least one or two friends in the class. Are there any other Muslim girls in the class? Any other minority girls in the class? Girls who are at the edge of the social circle? The teacher will be able to advise you about this.

As for the bully in chief, you really do have to talk to the school about this. That behavior is totally unacceptable, and the school needs to make the child and her parents (from whom she is learning this) understand that she cannot do this, and that if she persists in this behavior, there will be consequences.

Meanwhile, it will also help your daughter if she dresses like the other children. Look and see what the other girls are wearing, and try to dress her in the same manner, as long as it doesn't violate your religious tenets.

It can help to have a birthday party, to which you invite all the girls in the class. Join the PTO. Volunteer at the school. Be a friendly, open, present person at the school. Hang out on the playground and chat with other parents at pickup time. If you can make friends with parents of other children in her grade, very quickly she will be friends with their children.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 AM

426 posts, read 362,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I'm so sorry your daughter is going through this. What is key, is for her to make at least one or two friends in the class. Are there any other Muslim girls in the class? Any other minority girls in the class? Girls who are at the edge of the social circle? The teacher will be able to advise you about this.

As for the bully in chief, you really do have to talk to the school about this. That behavior is totally unacceptable, and the school needs to make the child and her parents (from whom she is learning this) understand that she cannot do this, and that if she persists in this behavior, there will be consequences.

Meanwhile, it will also help your daughter if she dresses like the other children. Look and see what the other girls are wearing, and try to dress her in the same manner, as long as it doesn't violate your religious tenets.

It can help to have a birthday party, to which you invite all the girls in the class. Join the PTO. Volunteer at the school. Be a friendly, open, present person at the school. Hang out on the playground and chat with other parents at pickup time. If you can make friends with parents of other children in her grade, very quickly she will be friends with their children.

While the bully's behavior is not ok, too many people on here overexaggerate what the school can really do about it.

Some schools are not even allowed to expel the kid. If the parents are not interested in changing the girl's behavior and the school has to keep the girl in the same grade, nothing can be done and it will never change.

A lot of your other advice is also bad. Making the girl dress like all the other girls shows the bully that she has a lot of power. Just because parents are friends doesn't mean the kids will be friends. (I think they should, but it doesn't always work.)

And restricting the girl's friends to other Muslim girls just digs the hole deeper for the girl. If she makes a few Muslim girl friends, she will NEVER talk to someone who isn't Muslim. Guess who will start being the racist in middle school?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
We went though this when we moved. Some things worked for us:

Throw a birthday party for her and invite the entire class. Come up with a theme or something that is uber fun so most of them will come. Have some break the ice type age appropriate games ready for the party. When our party wound down, the kids who did not leave early played Apples to Apples for a prize.

Join some parent/kid groups. Indian Princesses, Scouts, K Kids. Whatever. While there, do not allow her to cling to you and avoid the other kids. Try to become a leader of some part of the activities. That forces them together and to interact.

Drive other kids to school or if you cannot, then make arrangements for other parents to drive your kid to school. Most young kids are compatible given enough time together. If you end up in a ride share situaton with a truely awful kid, add more people or change to someone else.

If you kid gets bullied or gets in a fight, invite the other kid over for some supervised playdates. This was suggested to us by a teacher, it worked and they became lifelong friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education