Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times

Advertisements

Why won't a letter suffice? The same thing happened to me; I couldn't get a diploma, but I could get a letter stating I graduated, which should have more weight than a diploma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I don't understand why anyone would even ask for a diploma. I'm sure many people have lost or tossed theirs.

Given that, and the fact that districts don't even have diplomas (they're given or mailed to graduates), this is nuts.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
No it actually is a copy of the diploma they want. They said they don't need the transcripts. And like I said, I don't want my transcripts from HS to got to them. There was a lot going on in my life at that time and my transcripts probably have a lot of unwanted info on them. I personally don't understand how they can't obtain or make copies of diplomas as long transcripts prove you graduated there. How cant they just "run out"

Well, that explains why they could not provide what you asked for. School districts DO NOT have diplomas on file; they have transcripts. Diplomas are certificates printed by third parties, and provided to you to commemorate your graduation. They are not official school documents. High school transcripts will contain your classes and final grades, your GPA, and your date of graduation. That's all. They do not contain all the commentary that your teachers wrote in your report cards that might be embarrassing to you years later. They do not contain your attendance record. They do not mention that you were caught smoking or making out behind the bleachers. If you got bad grades, no one cares twenty years on; they just want to know that you graduated. (The full record that contains all the extra stuff going back to kindergarten is called a "cumulative file." You can request that for yourself, which is what I did when I needed my immunization records.)

I have worked in education. They will accept transcripts, even if they told you that they don't "need" them. Go back to your school district and ask for your transcripts. Provide that document to your prospective employer. They will accept it.

Alternatively, you can give them nothing, and not get the job.

Last edited by katenik; 02-24-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Does anyone know if I could go the main U.S. Board of Education to try to obtain it?
No, you cannot. Please trust the advice I gave in my last post. I am trying to help you.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 PM

123 posts, read 520,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why won't a letter suffice? The same thing happened to me; I couldn't get a diploma, but I could get a letter stating I graduated, which should have more weight than a diploma.
Is the letter separate from the transcripts? And who is it that I should ask for a letter from?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I don't understand why anyone would even ask for a diploma. I'm sure many people have lost or tossed theirs.

Given that, and the fact that districts don't even have diplomas (they're given or mailed to graduates), this is nuts.
It sounded like they assumed I had a copy of the diploma and figured that would be easier to submit such as when they said, "a copy of the diploma is all that is needed, no need for transcripts". Maybe because transcripts cost money most times and most people don't have it lying around. But ironically it is the diploma that's proving to be harder to get.

When looking online though a lot of people have said they've been able to obtain copies of their diplomas from even 30 years ago with no problem from their school. My school said that mine was a "popular year for copies" which is why they ran out and have copies from other years even before mine. So normally they can get a copy, just not for my year

Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Order a copy of your transcripts and see what's on there. I think you're worried about seeing disciplinary actions and whatnot when really it's just the classes that were required in order to graduate at the time.

Probably a stupid question but do you have a college degree of some sort? That would make this moot.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
School districts DO NOT have diplomas on file; they have transcripts. Diplomas are certificates printed by third parties, and provided by you to commemorate your graduation. They are not official school documents. High school transcripts will contain your classes and final grades, your GPA, and your date of graduation. That's all. They do not contain all the commentary that your teachers wrote in your report cards that might be embarrassing to you years later. They do not contain your attendance record. They do not mention that you were caught smoking or making out behind the bleachers. If you got bad grades, no one cares twenty years on; they just want to know that you graduated. (The full record that contains all the extra stuff going back to kindergarten is called a "cumulative file." You can request that for yourself, which is what I did when I needed my immunization records.)

I have worked in education. They will accept transcripts, even if they told you that they don't "need" them. Go back to your school district and ask for your transcripts. Provide that document to your prospective employer. They will accept it.

Alternatively, you can give them nothing, and not get the job.
At that time I had a seizure disorder, was being bullied, had anxiety and depression, and home life problems. I was failing most of my classes and absent in excess because of all of that to the point I had to be home-schooled through the district. Only through homeschool was I able to get my grades up and pass. But all my bad grades and absences will be on there. It's not that I don't think they won't accept transcripts over the diploma, it's what my transcripts entail that I worry about. Since this is an education job, where I'll be working with kids who need extra help, that is a problem. That is why since I don't actually need transcripts, I'd like to not have to provide that. I don't think it's right I should provide all that info from almost 20 years later from an extremely hard time in my life. These people don't know me at all and everything I submit will be what paints a picture of me, my first impression, and that picture is a far cry from the picture now.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Order a copy of your transcripts and see what's on there. I think you're worried about seeing disciplinary actions and whatnot when really it's just the classes that were required in order to graduate at the time.

Probably a stupid question but do you have a college degree of some sort? That would make this moot.
Yes actually I have an AA and I even asked if I could simply submit a copy of my AA degree, if that covered all the bases since I couldn't have gotten that without a HS diploma in the first place, and was told no, they needed both for records purposes

Old 02-24-2018, 10:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I think we need to separate what's being asked for, from what's really wanted. What's REALLY wanted is proof you graduated.

Recontact your high school, and ask if there is a short-hand way of stating that you graduated without sending the full transcript. That might be an official letter, cover or last page of the transcript, or something we haven't thought of. Then ask your prospective employer if this truncated transcript or official letter from the school district will work.

If you're still stuck, ask your parents to contact your local state legislator on your behalf. No need to mention voting for, or donating money. Legislative staff will be working to secure your parent's votes for the NEXT election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education