Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes I do know that. But you're taking my comment out of context. I don't get to say to my doctor, "You know doc, your office hours aren't convenient for me, could I make an appointment to see you after hours for my physical?" But I OFTEN had parents try to make appointments with me in the evening, or even on weekends. I often run into my primary doctor in the grocery store...when I do we socialize for a few minutes...but I don't start asking him about a medical issue; but parents often used to want to discuss their kid when I was in the grocery store.
You don't get to say that, but if think you have a problem that cannot wait until the office is open, you can call in and a doctor will be on call to take your call. Granted, some will tell you to go to the ER, Urgent Care or the old "take two aspirin and call me in the morning". But you're not on your own from the close of the office until it opens again. In the "olden times" people could and did call doctors at home. Now there's usually an answering service that runs interference. There is also a trend for doctor's offices to be open at least some evening hours. My old office has evening hours 3 days a week.

One of the docs in the practice I worked for moved to a new neighborhood, one reason being the neighbors were always calling him for medical advice. This was before cell phones were so ubiquitous, but still, you often have your neighbors' cell phone numbers.

Quote:
Yes, we had a (well, I'll call it a) "parent-health aide" who was not supervised by the school. She was hired, paid and supervised by the public health nurse.

Although health care has its issues, mostly I've been impressed by the health care I've received since returning from out of the country. Still too many mistakes. But overall impressed.
OK, some school districts do contract out their health services. My local district has done both. Currently, they pay the parapros and a few nurses who supervise the paras.

Glad to hear you're impressed. We try. (I'm retired, but still. . .)

Old 04-14-2018, 10:53 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Blackmail and extortion. Where does this end? Why is their getting a fatter paycheck (they're already overpaid, IMHO) more important than any other need of the state? We elect people to make these decisions, which is why it's called a "representative" government. Let them make them and get back to so-called work.
Teachers overpaid? LOL. They're underpaid. The schools are underfunded, with teachers, on low salaries, buying pens, paper, and other supplies for their classes. Shameful.

Before we started giving a huge tax cut to millionaires and billionaires, costing the country over $1 Trillion dollars that is unfunded, so Trump can get $30 Million a year and Paul Ryan can get no telling how much, and corporations each get millions....the teachers and other middle class people, and schools, should have been fully funded.

But wait...we'll go into another recession, just like the last time we gave big tax cuts to the rich (with deregulation)...and THAT will be an excuse not to give teachers raises.

Before long we won't have a middle class in this country at all. Which I believe is the goal of some in power: the oligarchs, and the working class.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Teachers overpaid? LOL. They're underpaid. The schools are underfunded, with teachers, on low salaries, buying pens, paper, and other supplies for their classes. Shameful.

Before we started giving a huge tax cut to millionaires and billionaires, costing the country over $1 Trillion dollars that is unfunded, so Trump can get $30 Million a year and Paul Ryan can get no telling how much, and corporations each get millions....the teachers and other middle class people, and schools, should have been fully funded.

But wait...we'll go into another recession, just like the last time we gave big tax cuts to the rich (with deregulation)...and THAT will be an excuse not to give teachers raises.

Before long we won't have a middle class in this country at all. Which I believe is the goal of some in power: the oligarchs, and the working class.
Exactly, I work special education and have in the past three school years, all as a parapro. With this, any supplies used or abused by students are paid for by the teachers. Extra snacks, that comes from us unless the parents bring them. Pencils, if you go over your allotment in the district I work for you pay for it (if not you do already.) If you don't want to share a hole puncher, that's your money it comes from. People don't realize the issues for teachers or parapros. I have paid about $100 myself this past year for items I bought for students. And I'm paid pennies on the dollar less than teachers.

I can't speak of the federal government because there is not that much when you consider it goes 55 ways, 50 states, District of Colombia and also territories. For example, it was 6% of the budget or $70 billion. In reality about $1.2/1.3 billion went to each state or territory. Now for individual states, it is a problemArizona this is the majority of the money as the state is minimalist (which is why the state is 49th in teacher pay and 50th in per-pupil spending) only had 400m for FY2017 and that was pulling teeth due to ignorant legislaters. For a larger state like New York, it is a drop in the bucket as their current budget is 26 BILLION for the state.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Is an English teacher overpaid or underpaid? How about a math teacher? Physics teacher? Let's look at some data. A teacher contract is roughly 185 days or 1480 hours vs typical 1832 (+/-) in non education fields. Using data from the NCES chart I posted in this thread ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...s-getting.html) we find starting pay roughly:

............Annual .. Educator . Non Educator
Education .$ 40,000 .. $ 27
English .. $ 39,670 .. $ 27 ..... $ 22
Physics .. $ 42,830 .. $ 27 ..... $ 23
Math ..... $ 55,830 .. $ 27 ..... $ 30

*For Educator, this assumes all positions were paid at the Educator rate, rather than the field average.

From this you can see that on an hourly basis, beginning Educators are paid more than the average outside education except for Math majors among these fields. The data are not clear if the average for English, Physics, and Math include those with a degree who went into education which would change the rate for those employed outside education.

This does not include increases from moving up in level, so the long term difference isn't clear. But it is clear the hourly rate is very competitive.

Whatever your political thoughts on Trump and the tax cut, it is really irrelevant to school funding and teacher pay. There weren't huge cuts to expenditures (which is also a completely different issue) and teacher pay isn't set at the Federal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, I work special education and have in the past three school years, all as a parapro. With this, any supplies used or abused by students are paid for by the teachers. Extra snacks, that comes from us unless the parents bring them. Pencils, if you go over your allotment in the district I work for you pay for it (if not you do already.) If you don't want to share a hole puncher, that's your money it comes from. People don't realize the issues for teachers or parapros. I have paid about $100 myself this past year for items I bought for students. And I'm paid pennies on the dollar less than teachers.

Pretty much everyone in every industry buys some specific office supplies for themselves for assorted reasons. But the real question is, and one I've never gotten a solid answer for, is "why do teachers buy supplies for students?" That is purely a 100% self inflicted wound. The only answer are some variation of "it's for the students and the parents won't buy them." So? If teachers would quite covering for it, it would become enough of an issue for the administration/school board to deal with.

Last edited by tnff; 04-15-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:

I can't speak of the federal government because there is not that much when you consider it goes 55 ways, 50 states, District of Colombia and also territories. For example, it was 6% of the budget or $70 billion. In reality about $1.2/1.3 billion went to each state or territory. Now for individual states, it is a problemArizona this is the majority of the money as the state is minimalist (which is why the state is 49th in teacher pay and 50th in per-pupil spending) only had 400m for FY2017 and that was pulling teeth due to ignorant legislaters. For a larger state like New York, it is a drop in the bucket as their current budget is 26 BILLION for the state.
My school district alone has a budget of almost $3 billion, of which 72% ($2.25 bil) is provided by the count government. Federal funding is a minor piece.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Pretty much everyone in every industry buys some specific office supplies for themselves for assorted reasons. But the real question is, and one I've never gotten a solid answer for, is "why do teachers buy supplies for students?" That is purely a 100% self inflicted wound. The only answer are some variation of "it's for the students and the parents won't buy them." So? If teachers would quite covering for it, it would become enough of an issue for the administration/school board to deal with.
I agree with you on this. My wife and I are both teachers in elementary schools and have always wondered the same. It enables the schools and parents to avoid having to spend the money.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My school district alone has a budget of almost $3 billion, of which 72% ($2.25 bil) is provided by the count government. Federal funding is a minor piece.
That depends on the state and county though. As I pointed out, Arizona is very minimalist in taxation which causes the funding problem for schools. Different states will vary of course. I can't speak on every specific state and county.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
That depends on the state and county though. As I pointed out, Arizona is very minimalist in taxation which causes the funding problem for schools. Different states will vary of course. I can't speak on every specific state and county.
The maximum percentage of education funding EVER by the federal government was in Mississippi, which was slightly over 18% for a while post-Katrina. That percentage has shrunk, but is still one of the states over the 10% bar. The lowest is Connecticut, which isn’t even at 5%. The national average is 8.3%. Federal funding is the smallest source of education funding in every school, every district, and every state - with the exception of DC, but that is a rant for another day.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
NEWSFLASH: Then all our public employees need a generous raise!
Economics, of course, is the study of the allocation of scarce resources in a world of unlimited wants and desires. One of the first lessons is there is no such thing as a need: only wants or desires.

Therefore, no public employee needs a generous raise. Most if not all want a generous raise.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
From this you can see that on an hourly basis...
Professionals don't think about the hourly basis. Pay is for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education