Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,062,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I agree. Regarding projects, I see the same thing when hiring, and I'm talking college students who don't know how to work on project teams. Though I believe a large part of that comes from two things. First, most schools don't know how projects are done, nor how to teach project work. Second, too often, a couple do 90% of the work and the others just coast on the team. I've often said after a round of interviews that I'd like to teach a project class the way projects are really done. The project teams need skin in the game -- one team will "win" the A and the others won't. And, each team member evaluates all the other team members (360 degree eval) so that even being on the winning team won't save a coaster from a poor grade.

I also agree about science. But the question is, why do the students no know how to do science? Someone has to teach them how to "do science" -- how to see something that spikes their interest; how to ask a question; how to formulate that into a hypothesis; and how to design an experiment to test that hypothesis. In today's world that kind of thinking won't answer whatever standardized test they are getting this year. The only thing that matters is parroting back the canned solution. If the teachers don't know science, then how can they teach the students?
I award a sum total of points for projects that have to be devided up... Sometimes one kid gets extra credit while another in the group fails. I also encourage them to fire group members who don't follow through on their group contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM

352 posts, read 322,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think you need a sabbatical.
Again, a perfect example...

All teachers think the way I do, but many are actually walking out on the job in protest to make a change. Have you not see that multiple states have had massive rallies? Don't you think there's a reason for this?

I teach in the state ranked #49 in K-12 education...we haven't had a walkout yet, but it's probably coming soon. According to another site, we're dead last in the country.

I teach because I can reach a select few every year and make a life-long impact that can spread like wildfire. But it becomes harder and harder to make that impact as these kids are given smartphones with unlimited data and their teachers are blamed when they get bad grades. Sorry to say it, but in my class, the grades are directly proportional to the effort put in by the student. Oh, I forgot, I'm supposed to say "scholar" now because "student" doesn't put them on a high enough pedestal.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:40 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,832,108 times
I'm a dinosaur too, but my youngest kid graduated hs a couple of years ago. There sure is a lot more information that that is mandated by our state, to be taught in a limited amount of time! Our teachers here did their best (for the most part) to give extra time to students who expressed difficulties with the material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education