Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Another issue is that my daughter's high school recently had their 2018 graduation ceremony. My daughter's friend graduated and she and her mother went to the graduation and were given a Commencement Book, they looked for her name (and other special education graduates) and none of them were listed!

Again - none of the Special Education graduates were listed in the Commencement Book! She did, of course, go across the stage and receive her diploma, but it seems that either this was a grievous mistake by whomever put together the Commencement Book or, I hope not, intentionally done.

Has anyone else encountered this situation for any special education graduates? This feels like a slight against those that are special education and it bothers me as my daughter will be graduating in a few years and I, for one, am proud of her and want to see her name listed along with all the other graduates. Granted, she (and other special ed graduates) get a "special diploma" and not a regular diploma but they have all tried hard to learn what they can in the many years of attending public school.

I know I have to see if this is just a one-time ocurrence with my daughter's high school by checking previous year's Commencement Books but am asking to see if this has happened elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,225,728 times
You should go to the next school board meeting, get on the list to speak, and complain about the issue and make sure they fix it.

If they don't, file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:52 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,749,825 times
First I think you should call the school and just ask.

Maybe whoever published it is a volunteer parent and just accidentally overlooked including them.

OR, maybe this is a possibility, they aren't listed because of a confidentiality issue?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:12 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,008,110 times
For many years my school district had a separate summer graduation for students in the program for severe/profound cognitive disabilities program (students who attended HS to age 21/22). All of the other special education students (learning disabled, emotionally disabled, mild cognitively disabled) graduated with their "class" in the regular commencement.

However, in recent years (perhaps the last dozen years) all graduates, no matter their age or how many years they attended HS, were invited to attend the regular commencement and "yes" all of their names were listed as graduates. BTW, they were invited, and encouraged, to attend all of the "senior" activities and events their senior year (the year that they turned 22 and graduated HS).

I suspect that it was just an unfortunate error. The same thing happened to someone that I know. He had been a home bound student for fifteen years and it was just "overlooked" as he had never attended a "brick and mortar" school in years and, except for administration and his home bound teacher, no one was "aware" that he was a student.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 AM

50,325 posts, read 23,916,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
For many years my school district had a separate summer graduation for students in the program for severe/profound cognitive disabilities program (students who attended HS to age 21/22). All of the other special education students (learning disabled, emotionally disabled, mild cognitively disabled) graduated with their "class" in the regular commencement.

However, in recent years (perhaps the last dozen years) all graduates, no matter their age or how many years they attended HS, were invited to attend the regular commencement and "yes" all of their names were listed as graduates. BTW, they were invited, and encouraged, to attend all of the "senior" activities and events their senior year (the year that they turned 22 and graduated HS).

I suspect that it was just an unfortunate error. The same thing happened to someone that I know. He had been a home bound student for fifteen years and it was just "overlooked" as he had never attended a "brick and mortar" school in years and, except for administration and his home bound teacher, no one was "aware" that he was a student.
I can see how an individual can be overlooked. It's pretty hard to overlook a whole group.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can see how an individual can be overlooked. It's pretty hard to overlook a whole group.
I suppose that it depends on how many people are in the group. In the two HSs that I am very familiar with, each year there usually are only one, two, or in a rare year three or four graduates who attend the severe/profound cognitive disabilities program (very, very limited inclusion, if any, in regular education classes, graduate at age 21/22) and 200 plus other graduates (regular education students and special education students with larger amounts of inclusion). It is still wrong, but I can see it happening by mistake (like with the home bound student). Now, if they overlooked ALL of the special education students who graduated in a year (perhaps 30 students) that would be a huge, HUGE mistake.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-10-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 01:16 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,589,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This is a question I'd ask, is the person in the OP a part of the age group, meaning aged 18 and walking across the stage with that group, OR, is this his/her true graduation, meaning 21/22. Either way, the child's name should have been in the program.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:39 PM

8,233 posts, read 8,566,710 times
My friends grandson is going through graduation ceremonies in a few days even though he is going back to that same school in the Fall. I think they should walk with the kids they went to school with for years but I guess there are some, hopefully few, that don't.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
My friends grandson is going through graduation ceremonies in a few days even though he is going back to that same school in the Fall. I think they should walk with the kids they went to school with for years but I guess there are some, hopefully few, that don't.
I bet that you are referring to a student who is missing a few credits and needs to attend summer school or the fall semester before they can "officially" graduate and receive their diploma. Some schools do allow students like that to "walk" with their class and other schools do not.

I was talking about students with special education needs that are allowed to attend public school until they are 21/22 years old (specifics depend on the state) or receive a HS diploma.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,527,409 times
Definitely begin by calling the school and asking about the policy. i am willing to bet this was not intentional. Nonetheless, it must be rectified, and measures need to be implemented to prevent this from happening in the future. Absolutely the fault lies with the school, and the administrator in charge of graduation. Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education