Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Has anyone considered that the non-production line job most easily assumed by robots is the job of teacher?

I see it as a no-brainer.

Has to be cheaper in the long run, too. One time charge for each robot plus an annual tune up over the summer in addition to programming the next school year's updated lessons.

Program the lessons. They won't molest your kids. No union dues going to political parties. No sick days. They can zap the class troublemakers when they act up and the homeschoolers won't have to worry about subjects for which they are not familiar if they have a home robot teacher. You can put a videocam inside the robot teacher so parents can observe the classes through their computers or phones to see what their "little angels" are doing all day.

Yes? No?
Right wing politicians would be an even easier and MUCH cheaper robot replacement. Just have one GOP "leader" have all the bots vote in unison on any issue as they always do, anyway.

Just thing how cheap campaigning would be. And no big payoffs from lobbyists.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
We really don't know the power and scope of artificial intelligence. I know it won't happen in 2018 or 2019, but in the future, artificial intelligence (AI) will rival the human at being human. I believe one day robots will have feelings, they will be empathetic, and "experience" will be programmed within them to go along with the intelligence of a computer chip.
I already see this younger generation gravitating towards electronic devices for gaining and craving knowledge. The internet is already replacing churches and pastors for their religious needs. Some people get their workouts via YouTube videos. It wouldn't surprise me for robots to be fitness instructors and nutritionists in the near future. The game is changing. I believe it's coming to a school system near you.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM

835 posts, read 475,051 times
As stated before, classroom management is the problem. What is a robot supposed to do about the troublemakers running wild around the classroom, causing mayhem and leaving destruction in their wake?

Old 09-07-2018, 05:10 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
As stated before, classroom management is the problem. What is a robot supposed to do about the troublemakers running wild around the classroom, causing mayhem and leaving destruction in their wake?

If every student has an AI education tablet then who needs classrooms?

The students that will actually use them don't need to come to class.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:13 PM

948 posts, read 920,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
If every student has an AI education tablet then who needs classrooms?

The students that will actually use them don't need to come to class.

That's part of the reason I pulled my daughter out of public school and began homeschooling. I figured that if she's getting her lessons via computer anyway, she could do that at home.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
That is ridiculous.

An AI mathematics program in a tablet could teach math.

An AI physics program in a tablet could teach physics.

An AI history program in a tablet could teach history.

An AI piano program in a tablet could teach music.

etc. etc.

The teacher could just be a supervisor for a group of children and not actually do the teaching. This way the kids would not have to move in lockstep with a class. Each student could learn each subject at their own rate.
You’re assuming the students are motivated to learn.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You’re assuming the students are motivated to learn.

How many 5 year olds have you encountered that are not curious about stuff? If anything their problem is that they do not know how many things there are to be curious about.

It seems more as though our schools are designed to kill curiosity and make learning boring.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
How many 5 year olds have you encountered that are not curious about stuff? If anything their problem is that they do not know how many things there are to be curious about.

It seems more as though our schools are designed to kill curiosity and make learning boring.
How many have you encountered that have families the don’t care? How many have you encountered that don’t know their actual name? How many have you encountered that don’t know the alphabet? I’m not talking special education students. Kids need people not robots.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
How many have you encountered that have families the don’t care? How many have you encountered that don’t know their actual name? How many have you encountered that don’t know the alphabet? I’m not talking special education students. Kids need people not robots.
First of all I have never been talking about robots.

Second of all I have never said we should eliminate teachers.

But not all children need teachers to an equal degree and some could learn more, faster with well designed technological assistance. The nitwit nuns that I had in 8th grade did not use the algebra books that they gave us. But my older sister's trigonometry book looked more interesting than algebra, so I taught myself with that instead.

Not all students are average or very dependent on teachers. A lot of teachers seemed to have an exaggerated idea of their usefulness to me. The annoying thing about being so ignorant was not even being able to determine what was a good book about what I was interested in.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...lectronics.htm

I wish someone could have pointed me at a book similar to that when I was in 7th grade.

So why don't we have a recommended K-12 book list? I bet a lot of authors and publishers would not like it. So kids that want to learn have to wade through marketing BS and mostly obsolete libraries.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Or just students who nod off with an active, instructing teacher in the classroom? If you've ever seen a few students staring at a laptop for more than a half hour, you know how many start to lose interest, start to play games, or begin to fall asleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education