Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 12:53 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times

Advertisements

I don't think people hate academically gifted students. I am personally annoyed by all these parents who think their kids are gifted though lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Around here all sports fundraise. Public, private, charter, whatever. They all fundraise. Fundraising goes towards the things the school or district does not provide. I don't think there is a profit motive for high school sports.

As I mentioned above, I don't think anyone hates gifted students. In some places gifted students are not given the educational support they deserve. That is a big reason why I moved my kids out of the public school system in the first place. But that is not hatred.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Regarding the idea of gifted students, I just noticed that Pennsylvania schools list the "Percent of Gifted Students" on their school performance profile. Here are a few across the state:

Mt Lebanon Senior High School 5.88%

Upper St. Clair Senior High 12.08%

Beaver Falls Area SHS 7.34%

Brookville JSHS 4.48%

Greater Johnstown Senior High 3.03%

Reading Senior High 5.29%

Cumberland Valley HS 3.25%

Lower Merion HS 8.15%

See Select a County - PA School Performance Profile

Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Regarding the idea of gifted students, I just noticed that Pennsylvania schools list the "Percent of Gifted Students" on their school performance profile. Here are a few across the state:

Does seem to run around 5%

All very nice and bureaucratic:

Quote:
(g) The following protection-in-evaluation measures shall be considered when performing an evaluation of students suspected of being gifted:
(1) No one test or type of test may be used as the sole criterion for determining that a student is or is not gifted.
(2) Intelligence tests yielding an IQ score may not be used as the only measure of aptitude for students of limited English proficiency, or for students of racial-, linguistic- or ethnic-minority background.
(3) Tests and similar evaluation materials used in the determination of giftedness shall be:
(i) Selected and administered in a manner that is free from racial and cultural bias and bias based on disability.
https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0...16/s16.22.html

Old 07-26-2018, 09:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Mt Lebanon Senior High School 5.88%

Upper St. Clair Senior High 12.08%

Beaver Falls Area SHS 7.34%

Brookville JSHS 4.48%

Greater Johnstown Senior High 3.03%

Reading Senior High 5.29%

Cumberland Valley HS 3.25%

Lower Merion HS 8.15%

My high school!

Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My high school!
Fascinating that they have 7.34%

The vast majority of children are not gifted. Only 2 to 5 percent of kids fit the bill, by various estimates. Of those, only one in 100 is considered highly gifted. Prodigies (those wunderkinds who read at 2 and go to college at 10) are rarer still -- like one to two in a million. And despite the boom in infant-stimulation techniques, educational DVDs, learning toys, and enrichment classes, those numbers haven't been increasing. You can't build giftedness; it's mostly built in.

I think that schools use IQ and kids who do well in school as a measure and that is NOT truely what gifted kids are about. I was above average, but that does not mean I was gifted. My son, otoh, was gifted in science and math, but not in English or Reading.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Fascinating that they have 7.34%

The vast majority of children are not gifted. Only 2 to 5 percent of kids fit the bill, by various estimates. Of those, only one in 100 is considered highly gifted. Prodigies (those wunderkinds who read at 2 and go to college at 10) are rarer still -- like one to two in a million. And despite the boom in infant-stimulation techniques, educational DVDs, learning toys, and enrichment classes, those numbers haven't been increasing. You can't build giftedness; it's mostly built in.

I think that schools use IQ and kids who do well in school as a measure and that is NOT truely what gifted kids are about. I was above average, but that does not mean I was gifted. My son, otoh, was gifted in science and math, but not in English or Reading.
Yes, well, we've discussed this stuff before. It all depends on what the definition of gifted is. I would seriously doubt there are that many gifted people in that town, especially now that the mills have closed and the city itself has lost a lot of population, particularly of workers.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is something I've pondered from time to time and it came up again today reading the local paper. This country in general seems to have an active dislike of those who are academically gifted. We constantly find ways to put them down, both large and small. But with athletics, it's different. As a culture we admire athletic prowess. We shower adulation and money down on them. Even at the lowest level of sport, the kid who is just a tiny bit stronger or faster gets all the attention.

I know this dichotomy is real having experienced myself and with my kids. But I can't explain it, nor even understand it. And the more I read about it, the less it makes sense. Our schools put effort into supporting and bringing the lowest performers up to the minimum, but pretty much ignore the gifted assuming they will just be fine on their own. An example from my own schooling is being berated by the teacher for reading ahead "how are you going to learn to read if you don't keep the place!!!" when I already knew how to read, as evidenced by the fact I was a couple chapters ahead while the class was stuck on one paragraph.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, it just kind of flowed out after reading the paper this morning.
good, $64,000 question. i have no answer other than the hatred helps those losing a grip on their economic power feel better at night...a derivative of schadenfreude...

Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
good, $64,000 question. i have no answer other than the hatred helps those losing a grip on their economic power feel better at night...a derivative of schadenfreude...
Ironically, whether rightly or not, it's us former "gifted" students that are losing our economic power, since it seems that the working world is becoming more and more about who is the best drinking buddy, who has the best connections, who is the best looking, and who is willing to work the longest hours for the least amount of money.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:05 PM

57 posts, read 91,341 times
I was in the United States Navy and in the enlisted nuclear power field. The first 1.5-2 years are full of lecture based curriculum. We were required to complete mandatory study hours based on our exam performance. I had to put in the hours grinding, reading, repeating, writing, etc. to perform well on (or just pass!) the tests and ended up coming out as just average, so I would have to put in an average number of mandatory study hours. Meanwhile a handful of jerks in the class read the material once and/or had photographic memories and/or only went off the lectures and skipped the readings, aced the tests, and had no mandatory study hours. So yes, I hated those gifted a-holes lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education