Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Ironically, whether rightly or not, it's us former "gifted" students that are losing our economic power, since it seems that the working world is becoming more and more about who is the best drinking buddy, who has the best connections, who is the best looking, and who is willing to work the longest hours for the least amount of money.
There are some avenues where 99th percentile academic performance can somewhat reliably lead to 99th percentile income (ex. medicine) but hasn't it always been the case that intelligence by itself usually doesn't lead to wealth? Haven't networking and other "soft skills" always been important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
There are some avenues where 99th percentile academic performance can somewhat reliably lead to 99th percentile income (ex. medicine) but hasn't it always been the case that intelligence by itself usually doesn't lead to wealth? Haven't networking and other "soft skills" always been important?
Probably correct, but that further proves my point that gifted students don’t become rich.

However, I disagree with your statement that intelligence alone allows somebody to become a doctor.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Probably correct, but that further proves my point that gifted students don’t become rich.

However, I disagree with your statement that intelligence alone allows somebody to become a doctor.
I don't believe that intelligence alone will allow someone to become a doctor, but as far as lucrative careers go, top undergrad -> top med school -> competitive residency -> fellowship is a pretty reliable path if you have great grades and perform well on tests. You still need need soft skills, but the process is better defined and requires less "hustle".

Old 08-06-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that intelligence alone will allow someone to become a doctor, but as far as lucrative careers go, top undergrad -> top med school -> competitive residency -> fellowship is a pretty reliable path if you have great grades and perform well on tests. You still need need soft skills, but the process is better defined and requires less "hustle".
Ok, fair enough. Is there any way for a gifted student who is not interested in a career in medicine to become rich?

Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Ok, fair enough. Is there any way for a gifted student who is not interested in a career in medicine to become rich?
The same way as anyone else, of course. By any number of pathways, whether it's in another profession like law, or in business or lots of other ways

Or are you saying that gifted students are somehow inherently incapable of that? Seems like a very odd assertion to make.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:

How about IT?

Engineering won't generally make you rich, but can provide interesting work with a well-above-average income, if that appeals to you.

Or, if your gifts are more on the language side than the STEM side, how about law?

Comment on that last one - I would suggest anyone thinking about a career as a lawyer, to do some work in a law office, at least a couple of summers, from what I have read, a lot of lawyers don't really like the work once they get into it.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The same way as anyone else, of course. By any number of pathways, whether it's in another profession like law, or in business or lots of other ways

Or are you saying that gifted students are somehow inherently incapable of that? Seems like a very odd assertion to make.
The definition of "gifted" that was being used in this thread would refer to somebody that employers would not see as their preferred drinking buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
How about IT?
Do people really get rich in IT? None of the IT people that I know are rich.

Quote:
Engineering won't generally make you rich, but can provide interesting work with a well-above-average income, if that appeals to you.
What branches of engineering are you referring to. There is no career called "engineering". There are many careers that have little in common with each other that have "engineering" in their name.

I am a civil engineer. The pay is lousy, and it's all about whose the best drinking buddy, who looks the best in a suit, who is willing to work the longest hours for the least money, etc.

Quote:
Or, if your gifts are more on the language side than the STEM side, how about law?

Comment on that last one - I would suggest anyone thinking about a career as a lawyer, to do some work in a law office, at least a couple of summers, from what I have read, a lot of lawyers don't really like the work once they get into it.
Probably a good idea for any field. But, unfortunately, by the time you realize that you don't like working in your chosen major, it's too late to change majors.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
The definition of "gifted" that was being used in this thread would refer to somebody that employers would not see as their preferred drinking buddies.
working as an employee rarely makes anyone rich - it's the employer, the entrepreneur who makes the big bucks. Maybe someone in sales where the "drinking buddy" personality is an asset that can lead to increasing someone's personal wealth. But otherwise, chances are being the drinking buddy gets to up to middle management - a decent living in most cases, but it's not going to make you rich.

Professions such as law or medicine are far more likely to result in wealth, but again, not usually as an employee, you make money when you've got an ownership stake.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
If you're talking specifically about roles where brainpower and analytical ability are valued pretty highly, I have a few colleagues who ended up as quants at hedge funds. It's not really a role they steer younger students towards though, it's more like something people "discover" in college or grad school.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
working as an employee rarely makes anyone rich - it's the employer, the entrepreneur who makes the big bucks.
That is true, and that further proves my point, since the "gifted" type is not likely to be the entrepreneurial type.

Quote:
Maybe someone in sales where the "drinking buddy" personality is an asset that can lead to increasing someone's personal wealth. But otherwise, chances are being the drinking buddy gets to up to middle management - a decent living in most cases, but it's not going to make you rich.
Probably true, but not likely to be of help to a gifted student.

Quote:
Professions such as law or medicine are far more likely to result in wealth, but again, not usually as an employee, you make money when you've got an ownership stake.
Quote:
If you're talking specifically about roles where brainpower and analytical ability are valued pretty highly, I have a few colleagues who ended up as quants at hedge funds. It's not really a role they steer younger students towards though, it's more like something people "discover" in college or grad school.
Is that different from the stereotypical Wall Street job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education