U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 10,966 times

Advertisements

Hello guys ,it s been a long time i didn t post anything here
i want to ask for the native people from US ,what languages are the most utilities in US (apart of English and Spanish...)

i m learning English (i m not a native) ,i ve been learning English during 4 years ,apart i know spanish ( i m a native from spain) and i don t know which choose as a third language

I wish one day to be able to live there ,and i m preparing for that

what do you advize?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 PM

15,545 posts, read 13,532,447 times
I would just concentrate on obtaining high efficiency in English.

If you really want to learn a third one, unless you have some specific business interest, then just learn the one you are interested in.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:39 PM

78,707 posts, read 70,554,766 times
That's funny; we just got almost this exact same question from another poster in Spain, a couple of weeks ago. But he may be moving to Germany, so he was wondering if German or French would be best as a 3rd language.

What career field are you in? If you're planning on a career in business with an international component, Mandarin might be best. However, let me warn you, that to learn Mandarin, you need to have not only a good ear for language (for tonal languages, especially), it helps to have a visual memory, as well, for the writing system. The people who do best with the writing system are people who have some artistic talent, and are visually-oriented. Otherwise, you may end up tearing your hair out, from frustration.

Good luck! Let us know how things go, as you get closer to your goal.

P.S. Russian has a LOT of grammar, which Chinese generally, doesn't have much of at all. I wouldn't recommend Russian unless you have a gift for languages.

And definitely keep working on your English, if you want to be able to get a job in the US.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 PM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times
If you will be in the business world, I agree with the previous post that Chinese is preferable. My daughter travels to China because her company does so much manufacturing there. This is true of many companies in the US. She also travels to Ireland, Germany, England and France because of international product sales. There has been no instance, for her, of a business trip required to Russia.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,279,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWLLN View Post
Hello guys ,it s been a long time i didn t post anything here
i want to ask for the native people from US ,what languages are the most utilities in US (apart of English and Spanish...)

i m learning English (i m not a native) ,i ve been learning English during 4 years ,apart i know spanish ( i m a native from spain) and i don t know which choose as a third language

I wish one day to be able to live there ,and i m preparing for that

what do you advize?

Thank you
of utility within the US? English and Spanish. Otherwise, whichever country you find yourself traveling to or if your community has a large ethnic community you find interesting enough...

Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 PM

8,121 posts, read 8,626,706 times
Arabic.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM

801 posts, read 1,948,355 times
I wouldn't work on a third language until you start thinking in your second language. Granted, I don't know Spanish, but your English has a lot of room to improve, and I am thinking you are doing what most people do, ... Making a direct translation from your native language (Spanish) to your foreign language (English).

Neither Russian or Mandarin Chinese would be that useful here (well, maybe in San Francisco). Neither of those two groups seems that accepting of outsiders.

Spanish and Arabic speakers seem more open to people of different racial and ethnic backgrounds speaking their language.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:57 AM

22 posts, read 10,966 times
i don t look for doing business ,only to learn and speak (without to be a pundit)
But i m not sure what is the laguages most popular in US apart English and Spanish...
Is there any other language that be common in US?

Thanks a bunch everybody

PD: i guess Mandarin Chinese is only a fashion of nowdays ,and for that is today influence...

Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM

15,545 posts, read 13,532,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWLLN View Post
i don t look for doing business ,only to learn and speak (without to be a pundit)
But i m not sure what is the laguages most popular in US apart English and Spanish...
Is there any other language that be common in US?

Thanks a bunch everybody

PD: i guess Mandarin Chinese is only a fashion of nowdays ,and for that is today influence...
English is the predominate language in the US, followed at a distant second by Spanish. Every other language is not common and are found in enclaves of speakers but not much outside those enclaves. Even with that, you will have a mixed bag of native and heritage speakers, those who can speak but not read/write, and those who lack a professional knowledge of the language.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
Both Mandarin and Russian are considered quite difficult to learn languages, while Spanish is relatively easy, for native English speakers. I would think that the reverse holds true, that English is easy for native Spanish speakers.

I have read and heard that a native Spanish speaker can learn to speak Russian with a very "clean" accent. I don't know about Mandarin.

I started studying Russian in 1995, am still a work in progress. Although I read well enough to use that professionally.

Where do your inherent interests lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or