Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Example A, no dropped tests.
He goes to school regardless of his condition and asks to leave.

Example B. Dropped tests with lowest score
He decides a 0 is the lowest score so it will be dropped. Doesn't risk $hitting him self in traffic.

To me a 0 on a test for not showing up is going to be your lowest score. I just feel like if it was a court case a good lawyer easily argues that and wins. I know it's not a court case but it's something.
Example C- take the make up test and drop it if it’s still the lowest at the end of the semester. Time for your friend to grow up because there’s not always an easy out in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
But if a 0 is put in as an entry that brings down other tests how you can argue that? Just seems like a huge gray area. I mean is what you're saying opinion or literally a rule that stats that?
Well, it sort of depends. I've been teaching long enough, so I know that I have to spell pretty much everything out (my syllabi are kind of long). I think most instructors would assume that the test score that is dropped is among those attempted, since nearly all students will take all of the tests. Otherwise, there should be some mention on the syllabus that students may elect not to show up for a test, and that test will be dropped.

The problem i see here, from a wider angle, is that the instructor presumes one set of practices, and the student presumes another. And neither party sees the potential for the other party's situation. So, the instructor figures that students will attempt all tests, and one of those attempted will be dropped. The student figures that skipping one of the tests is optional, and if that test is skipped (not attempted), it will still be counted as a test and then subsequently dropped.

Overall, I lean in the instructor's direction as far as interpretation of the rules is concerned (at least, to the extent that I know them, since I haven't seen the syllabus): why would a teacher exempt students from taking one of the tests? That would go against the whole point of having tests. The students are supposed to attempt all of the work in the course. That's what it's all about. You don't pick and choose which assignments you do.

But OTOH, I'm a rather understanding person, so after hearing the student's rationale, I would come up with a solution. Maybe the student could attempt the test for partial credit, or it could count as a homework, or something like that. I would want the student to know the material and to demonstrate that; it doesn't help me or the student to fail the student due to a misunderstanding, especially when the student was ill. That to me is just pointless and counterproductive.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They often are. My dad died the day before my final test of a course I needed to graduate. I took the test as it was either take the test or withdraw and retake the class and not graduate. Did okay as I'd otherwise studied, just went in for an hour and compartmentalized and then went back to being a basket case.
I am sorry for your loss.

A lot of people just assume that if you have a death in your immediate family during college your professors "have to" accommodate you. Well, they don't. The brother of a good friend was brutally murdered just before mid-term exams. She certainly was not faking it, as it was front page news for a week (he was missing before his body was found). She was distraught and couldn't take her exams, most of her professors allowed her to take a make-up exam later (or just skip the exam) but one professor said "Take the exam when it is scheduled or flunk the exam and probably the class." Luckily, her department allowed her to drop the class.

Quote:
I mean, dead grandma is a thing that happens all the time but generally it's just at discretion of the processor. Some need official documentation from dean's office. Others just don't care. Grandma died, not their problem.
My daughter's grandmother (my MIL) died just before our daughter's final exams in college. She wanted to attend the funeral 1,000 miles away. Most of her professors refused to allow her to take their exam early or do a make-up exam. Several of them said that they used to be more flexible but so many students lied about family members, especially grandparents, dying that they did not do that anymore.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
He should have gone for the test. The Professor is following their protocol.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:23 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
But now the teacher wants to add in "you need to be in class to get that lowest test grade". That was never in the syllabus so that's why I am telling him to go above her head because he should be able to use that to his advantage.
That may not have been expressly implied within the syllabus, but, if it's like every other syllabus I ever got there's probably a caveat in there something to the extent of: "Professor reserves the right to change syllabus at any time."

Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
They often are. My dad died the day before my final test of a course I needed to graduate. I took the test as it was either take the test or withdraw and retake the class and not graduate. Did okay as I'd otherwise studied, just went in for an hour and compartmentalized and then went back to being a basket case.

I mean, dead grandma is a thing that happens all the time but generally it's just at discretion of the processor. Some need official documentation from dean's office. Others just don't care. Grandma died, not their problem.
That's terrible! Your "compartmentalization" skills are formidable! I'm sorry for your loss. (Yes, I know it was long ago, now.) That's quite a story. Your prof. didn't allow make-up exams?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
What kind of college drops the lowest grade from a test? I have never heard of such a thing.
I used to do that when I taught. Realizing that "life happens", it is one accommodation I made for my students who usually work all day, then go to class in the evening when they are tired and just want to relax at home.

You friend needs to get in and have a conference with the professor first. Most teachers are pretty understanding, but the student must be pro-active. Good luck going to the dean. Might work, but probably not. My dean stood behind me 100% and never once did he have me reverse a decision.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
That may not have been expressly implied within the syllabus, but, if it's like every other syllabus I ever got there's probably a caveat in there something to the extent of: "Professor reserves the right to change syllabus at any time."

Agreed, but how ethical is it to change the syllabus and not submit to classmates with modified changes? Everybody keeps mentioning real world examples and how my friend is lazy but in the real world when changes like that happen. People are expected to be notified of X changes. That's how things work.

A professor shouldn't be able to abuse power & push there own agenda down when they see it fit's there.

Personally, I think he should do what he has to considering the world we live in now. Every time you turn around people are abusing the system and getting away from stuff because the exact way of doing something isn't in in specific order.

Think about how many people win bogus court cases because the company failed to go into detail about a certain thing. I'm not agreeing with all of that but if so many people get away with things these days I don't blame somebody for trying to use real world examples as a way to protect themselves.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:51 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Agreed, but how ethical is it to change the syllabus and not submit to classmates with modified changes? Everybody keeps mentioning real world examples and how my friend is lazy but in the real world when changes like that happen. People are expected to be notified of X changes. That's how things work.

A professor shouldn't be able to abuse power & push there own agenda down when they see it fit's there.

Personally, I think he should do what he has to considering the world we live in now. Every time you turn around people are abusing the system and getting away from stuff because the exact way of doing something isn't in in specific order.

Think about how many people win bogus court cases because the company failed to go into detail about a certain thing. I'm not agreeing with all of that but if so many people get away with things these days I don't blame somebody for trying to use real world examples as a way to protect themselves.
The point is: there wasn't really a change. There's just a difference in interpretation between the professor and the student. That caveat professors put into their syllabus is just a CYA to cover the fact that every little thing can't be included within a syllabus.

This has nothing to do with "ethics" and right or wrong. Your friend did a poor job of covering his own rear by making assumptions. He should have immediately contacted his professor to find out if this score was indeed going to be dropped or if he could get a make-up. I would never assume I could just not do an assignment/skip a test unless expressly spelled out by the professor. Communicating with those who hold positions of authority when we cannot meet our obligations is how the real world works.

But, no matter what, a department chair is not going to go against the autonomy of a professor in his or her class in this matter. It's just not going to happen. Your friend only has two real options: A) Sit down with the professor to calmly and rationally discuss the misunderstanding and hope for a re-take, or B) drop the class.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:14 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
The point is: there wasn't really a change. There's just a difference in interpretation between the professor and the student. That caveat professors put into their syllabus is just a CYA to cover the fact that every little thing can't be included within a syllabus.

This has nothing to do with "ethics" and right or wrong. Your friend did a poor job of covering his own rear by making assumptions. He should have immediately contacted his professor to find out if this score was indeed going to be dropped or if he could get a make-up. I would never assume I could just not do an assignment/skip a test unless expressly spelled out by the professor. Communicating with those who hold positions of authority when we cannot meet our obligations is how the real world works.

But, no matter what, a department chair is not going to go against the autonomy of a professor in his or her class in this matter. It's just not going to happen. Your friend only has two real options: A) Sit down with the professor to calmly and rationally discuss the misunderstanding and hope for a re-take, or B) drop the class.

I did find out that he did email before the start time of the class explaining that he was sick & that getting to class in time was not an option because of illness.

Secondly, obviously this is a different issue but apparently this is a teacher that gets side tracked and talks politics in a class that has nothing to do with politics and he feels like because he's voiced a different opinion this is why she's not willing to work with him. So he is prepared to talk respectfully with her and if she chooses not to work with him he'll be going above her with 2 other students that have said that there have been several times that political talk has taken place in the class room during time that should be dedicated to the actual course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education