U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,063,999 times

Advertisements

My three kids did study abroad for the same price as their home colleges, plus air fare and whatever expenses they needed there. Room and board and tuition were paid as if they were in their home colleges. Merit aid traveled with them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 679 times
Germany does not charge tuition, but that leaves living costs. Classes are sometime taught in English too. And you can get Pell Grants, and other U.S. based financial aid, for attending universities that are overseas.

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

51,196 posts, read 50,480,930 times
My dd got a year-long scholarship to study in China. The Chinese government gave out ten such scholarships throughout the SUNY system. I'm sure they do it in other states, as well. It came with a stipend for food and other expenses. I just had to kick in plane fare.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My three kids did study abroad for the same price as their home colleges, plus air fare and whatever expenses they needed there. Room and board and tuition were paid as if they were in their home colleges. Merit aid traveled with them.
I am glad that worked out well for your children. I have had friends with similar experiences.

My daughter's University has extensive study abroad programs in all disciplines. In fact, in many fields of study spending a summer or a semester studying abroad is a requirement for the degree. The University claimed that the costs would be about the same as if the students were on campus in the US but in actuality it was at least $10,000 more expensive for my daughter to spend that semester in Paris than on campus. Now, one of her friends, who did a semester abroad in a third world African country, actually spend far less than they would have in the US (as the cost of housing and food was much, much cheaper in that country).

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Room and board and travel expenses are still unaffordable for a lot of students.
Room and board is unaffordable for people without going abroad... People take out loans for it, then claim college is unaffordable because of it. Sorry, living somewhere for free isn't going to happen anywhere, college or not.

Another option is studying via language schools where you teach English part time. English schools around the world do this to recruit English teachers.call it a work/study program.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Those programs still won't even come close to funding a study abroad program. There is NOTHING cheap about that. I tried to do it 15 years ago and it was expensive then.
The OP hasn't told us if s/he's inquiring about a summer program, or a semester program, I just realized. A summer program would be easier to fund, with a couple of private sources and maybe some personal contributions from an extra part-time job, or something. A semester program would be pretty impossible to fund, AFAIK. It's not only the tuition, it's the airfare, as well.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My dd got a year-long scholarship to study in China. The Chinese government gave out ten such scholarships throughout the SUNY system. I'm sure they do it in other states, as well. It came with a stipend for food and other expenses. I just had to kick in plane fare.
Oh boy. China. OK, it's important, if you're studying Chinese language or area studies. I could be wrong, but most kids hope for a summer (or semester) in Europe, somewhere. More info needed from the OP.

Summer programs in Romania and the Balkans are cheap. I actually got a tuition waiver from one in Romania, so all I had to do is come up with the airfare. (Yeah, ok, MQ, you can throw that back at me: "Oh boy. Romania. How underwhelming." Fair enough. )

What areas are you interested in, OP?

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

6,430 posts, read 2,340,871 times
I'm thinking it would be hard to get a full scholarship to study abroad, especially one that covered travel and living expenses. I think it's far better to work and save up some money before doing this.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

3,977 posts, read 2,963,042 times
There are grants and scholarships just as there are for regular college programs. Some of them also cover all or part of room and board. Generally you'll be paying for your own plane ticket, though.

The generous grants for desirable programs tend to be very competitive.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
Are we talking about college only?

The Department of State offers several different types of study abroad scholarships for high school students. They are the YES scholarship (sends students to Muslim-majority countries), CBYX (sends students to Germany), and NSLI-Y (sends students to countries that speak certain valuable languages). NSLI-Y offers a summer program; I believe the other two are academic-year programs only, but don't quote me on that. I was in D.C. last year thanking my senator for voting to continue funding these programs because they are vital to cultural understanding, language acquisition, and so many other things in our global society.

I don't know any study abroad experiences like that for college students that are funded by the government, but there are surely some private scholarship opportunities. And there might be government sponsored ones... I work with the high school students, so that's what I'm familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education