U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 PM

8,170 posts, read 3,065,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
At my daughterís university, all of your financial aid can be used for study abroad...so theoretically if you are on full financial aid you could study abroad for free (not including airfare, of course).
But that wouldn't be free, because you'd have to pay it back at some point, right? Or is it a full grant program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,670 posts, read 38,725,512 times
study abroad for free?

'Study' Sounds a lot like seeking a level of 'international EDUCATION' to me... (I'm likely wrong as usual)

I hope those who take the trouble to go overseas and be a disruption to themselves and others, actually learn something(?), tho a semester / qtr / ST (partial yr) is pretty worthless for the amount of trouble.

Might as well FINISH your degree FASTER and go get an international job (and get PAID to travel / live overseas).

That can change your life, and the lives of others.

Airfare (I see that mentioned...) $300 - $500 can get you to a LOT of international places. A one -way ticket is a great idea. (where legal). Man-up and work your way home (therein lies the 'education' !) Proof is in the results. One friend (wiser than me), sent all his kids one-way internationally as soon as they were out of HS (As a step to 'growing up'). Some came home (eventually... one took 7 yrs to do it), some found a different (better) solution ! All learned a lot in the process! All but one live internationally (50 + yrs later)

Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 AM

1,726 posts, read 824,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWoodabroad1 View Post
Yes, it's clear that such an education can't be cheap because it requires so many expenses from a student and his parents... Anyway, there are some ways to study abroad for free, and all of them are related to this or that form of financial help from universities themselves, a country, and private or public funds.
My gf did it in South Korea

Old 10-28-2018, 05:16 AM

12,775 posts, read 6,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Rhodes Scholarship program had been around for a long time.
Yeah, but thatís for 99.99th percentile people. If youíre a top student at a top school, the door is open. If you are in an easy major at a 3rd tier school getting average grades, mommy and daddy are paying for that semester abroad.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:15 AM

1,856 posts, read 385,535 times
Try the LIBRARY!
I'm serious! Why do people think they need to pay to be assigned books to read?

Old 10-28-2018, 11:39 PM

743 posts, read 306,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And it's getting worse, not better.
Yes, it is, Ruth.

I'm honestly surprised students are not in the streets to protest (passively protest) or gather to voice this.

It seems like nobody cares (except for students but I assume they're taking it with a smile b/c perhaps the have no choice (or feel they don't have a choice in the matter).

Old 10-29-2018, 09:47 AM

16,384 posts, read 18,901,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
https://www.valuecolleges.com/intern...ree-education/

Just brush up on your German, French, Swedish, Czech, or Portuguese
So, why don't more Americans go to Europe for tuition-free college?

Besides language, is there a catch?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM

75,677 posts, read 67,511,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Try the LIBRARY!
I'm serious! Why do people think they need to pay to be assigned books to read?
This isn't about reading books. It's about foreign-language immersion, experiencing another culture, and sight-seeing. You can't do any of those things at your neighborhood library. It's about experience, not reading.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 3,396,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't about reading books. It's about foreign-language immersion, experiencing another culture, and sight-seeing. You can't do any of those things at your neighborhood library. It's about experience, not reading.
I can understand language and cultural immersion. Also architecture for those studying it. But something not mentioned is access to world class thought, professors, and facilities. For example CERN is in Geneva. The best astronomical facilities are in Chile. Not everything is on the US. Even the military academies put an emphasis on study abroad.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:27 PM

75,677 posts, read 67,511,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I can understand language and cultural immersion. Also architecture for those studying it. But something not mentioned is access to world class thought, professors, and facilities. For example CERN is in Geneva. The best astronomical facilities are in Chile. Not everything is on the US. Even the military academies put an emphasis on study abroad.
Going on the typical study abroad program in Europe isn't going to give you access to CERN, though. A study program in Geneva would be very expensive, indeed. But yes, it's a big world out there; getting to know it better, beyond what books can tell you, is valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education