Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:31 PM

11,588 posts, read 12,609,314 times

Advertisements

Oh sorry, Margritte. I thought you were inquiring about a college student. Yes, there are definitely study abroad programs for high schoolers; they used to be called exchange students. The ones that I've seen are usually for a full year. The students usually live with a local family. The Rotary club used to sponsor students. There are other programs offered through churches, ethnic organizations. Parents usually end up paying quite a bit for these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Oh sorry, Margritte. I thought you were inquiring about a college student. Yes, there are definitely study abroad programs for high schoolers; they used to be called exchange students. The ones that I've seen are usually for a full year. The students usually live with a local family. The Rotary club used to sponsor students. There are other programs offered through churches, ethnic organizations. Parents usually end up paying quite a bit for these.
Thanks I'll see what information I can find. I know he originally wanted to do a whole school year abroad, but I'm not sure if that's feasible for us. (AKA: I don't know if I can go a whole school year without seeing my son. LOL)

Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,696,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He is still in high school. He wants to do one while he is in HS.
He can apply for CBYX. Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) This is a full scholarship to Germany for students in the USA. They also bring students from Germany to the USA.

It is so, so much better to go for a year in many cases. The immersion is deeper, the bond with the host family really takes off after the first semester, the students' language progress really explodes during the second semester, friendships deepen, etc. I know many students, and almost all of them who went for a semester wish that they had gone for a year. Things like going to prom or taking the SAT pale in comparison (and there are usually big dances in other countries and they can still take the SAT/ACT!). Some students have to make up the year, but again, I don't know anyone who regrets it.

I'm a volunteer with AFS, which is, IMO, the best agency in the United States. I have worked with several agencies (as a host parent), and AFS offers the best support, IME. In addition, they are the same company in each partner country. Many companies have a different model, where a student might be with a particular organization in their home country but it's managed by a totally different organization in the host country. This is usually okay when there are no issues, but if there are problems, the guidelines can differ between the countries and the support is not always there.

I'm not sure when he would be going, but I also highly recommend hosting if you can! Either before he goes, when he's gone, or after he returns. It really brings the experience full circle.

Feel free to PM me for more information. I am a very avid volunteer because I'm really passionate about exposing young people to other cultures and believe that foreign exchange during high school is one of the best ways to go about it!

Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 AM

24,376 posts, read 9,248,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWoodabroad1 View Post
Is there a way to study abroad for free
Yes it’s called joining the military. It won’t cost you 1 penny.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:58 AM

7,350 posts, read 4,602,445 times
Getting frustrated with huge cost of college education that I am seriously considering sending my kids to study abroad for college. Not free but I can pay it cash.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,626,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes it’s called joining the military. It won’t cost you 1 penny.
You are so wrong--
There are many costs those in the military pay...
As the current troops-on-the-border derangement shows...
deployed for no good reason except political gamesmanship...at holiday time and great expense to taxpayers

PTSD and physical injuries (short or permanent), family separations and personal sacrifices, low pay for large majority of the ranks....there are plenty of other ways people in the military "pay" for any benefits they earn

Old 02-27-2019, 02:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,356 times
Polish universities are the best. They have a decent level and public (free)!!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 918 times
For maritime studies in Szczecin, places arount Baltic sea, like Poland looks nice

Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 918 times
My friends recommended me Poland as a place to study (maritime studies in Szczecin). It looks good so far

Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,396,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

No, you can't study abroad for free. Nothing in college is free.
Germany, most Scandinivian countries do not charge tuition; check other EU countries as well. There may be 300-400 dollars registration fees per semester.

Admission is usually competitive, but degree programs are offered in English even in non-English speaking countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education