Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:05 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,740,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I couldn't stand it in high school. In college we had the same frog for the entire semester, twice a week, same frog (or what was left of it.) Pretty bad.

I married a biology teacher who gave the class LIVE frogs and he would fail anyone who wouldn't kill their own frog. I talked him into stopping this practice. I told him that it was wrong to punish people for not being able to kill. Then I got a divorce, lol.
There is something sociopathic about making the kids kill the frogs I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have always been interested in science and biology but I'm glad that any class I ever took didn't go beyond dissecting a frog. I think it would have been wrong to cut open a pig or a cat. When you think about it what are they hoping the average student is going to learn from that? I can see if one has a science major or is planning on medical school but why kill the cats and pigs? I'm sure if given a choice those animals wouldn't have donated their young bodies to science.
I always thought that too. I used to hunt big game (the only reason I don't anymore is I like to sleep in and don't care much for the meat) but to me it seemed wrong to kill something for dissection, especially for the average student who isn't going to go into a field requiring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd really be suspicious of anyone who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. After all, it was one of Jeffrey Dahmer's hobbies. Same goes for Ed Gein. Both serial killers enjoyed dissection, and, in the case of Gein, taxidermy.
So would I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 12:54 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times
And for those of us who chose the field of biology as career fields which required the deaths of lower forms of life as research, I would remind everyone that without biologists like nurses, doctors and a multitude of other fields requiring a biological education, many of us in this thread would have already died from diseases and/or old age by now.

I never enjoyed dissecting frogs, fetal pigs or the hundreds of birds and mammals I sacrificed for research to obtain my degrees but I used common sense to see it as the lesser of evils in a multitude of far worse evils people have forced upon this world.

I will only add that comparing killing frogs to serial killers is a bit over the top and I can only gasp at what you must think of soldiers. On this upcoming Veterans Day I salute soldiers who have been ordered, many times against their own beliefs, to kill our nation's enemy on battlefields.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:58 PM

34,109 posts, read 18,354,105 times
I was a Bio major in college. First year Zoology we had to dissect a number of animals. One was Rats. They brought in a big 55 gallon drums of Rats in Formaldehyde. The girls in class wouldn't stick their hands into the "Vat of Rats" so I had to get each one their own personal Rat to dissect. I smelled like Formaldehyde for days!

Old 11-10-2018, 01:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 976,973 times
Hell no! Dissection was about the only part of biology class that I actually found borderline interesting. Plus they were live frogs and rats (yes, my high school was still doing that in the early 2000s) and killing ours, well I just imagined it was the kid who would later go on to steal my term papers. He had been a problem since year 7, so there was some history to back such malice.

My mom's auntie & uncle lived way out in the Clark County highlands (far enough out they couldn't get cable and broadcast TV barely worked, so they had a BUD) and when we'd go to his place at weekends I used to kill squirrels out there and dissect them. He had a small grove of walnut trees so they were considered a pest. Uncle used to kid "that boy's gonna be a doctor someday!" This was in the early to mid 1990s, before the goody two-shoes bunny huggers started buying out local governments to force their agenda.

I guess according to this site's minority-rules-all POV that makes me a serial killer. Oh well, we can't all be perfect little saints.

Last edited by Ttark; 11-10-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Prolonged exposure to formaldehyde can also do the job on your fingernail cuticles, for life.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:27 PM

555 posts, read 495,689 times
Question for those who either skipped class the day of dissection or who think that enjoying learning through dissection is comparable to serial killer tendencies: Are you a vegetarian?

Serious question. I'm genuinely curious.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 976,973 times
Wouldn't surprise me.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:01 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,740,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
And for those of us who chose the field of biology as career fields which required the deaths of lower forms of life as research, I would remind everyone that without biologists like nurses, doctors and a multitude of other fields requiring a biological education, many of us in this thread would have already died from diseases and/or old age by now.

I never enjoyed dissecting frogs, fetal pigs or the hundreds of birds and mammals I sacrificed for research to obtain my degrees but I used common sense to see it as the lesser of evils in a multitude of far worse evils people have forced upon this world.

I will only add that comparing killing frogs to serial killers is a bit over the top and I can only gasp at what you must think of soldiers. On this upcoming Veterans Day I salute soldiers who have been ordered, many times against their own beliefs, to kill our nation's enemy on battlefields.
There's a big difference between high school kids dissecting things versus someone studying biology. That's also a ridiculous and very ignorant leap you're making with soldiers.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:39 PM

24,178 posts, read 9,112,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
OMG YES. Loved biology... until it came to killing the frog and dissecting the cat.
The frog is already dead...

Back to topic, no I had no problem with it. Although one frog had eggs and that was a bit gross IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
On this upcoming Veterans Day I salute soldiers who have been ordered, many times against their own beliefs, to kill our nation's enemy on battlefields.
By law, a conscientious objector solider cannot be forced to kill anyone.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
There's a big difference between high school kids dissecting things versus someone studying biology. That's also a ridiculous and very ignorant leap you're making with soldiers.
Thanks you for your less than insightful, but rude, comment but where do you think a career in biology begins?

Also many living veterans were soldiers at a high school age of 16, including my brother. I grant you that many teenagers today are not of the the same caliber of those in the past and this could be where you misunderstood my logic?

But please feel free to disregard my post if it makes you uncomfortable. I had not meant to "troll" anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education