Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:16 PM

77 posts, read 51,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
People will work and organize democratically.

Work is different when it’s set up differently, why do you clean your dishes?

Furthermore production would be distributed freely like it has been for thousands of years before the age of empire.
You have too much faith in humans and assume that the majority are gonna get off their butts and actually work to advance the society, which is not realistic.

You need the insensitive, you don't work? You don't get money, and if you have no money, well you know the rest. Giving ppl freebies just because you think it's the right thing to do is an absurd idea that will send us backward, not forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 06:47 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,362,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST29 View Post
You have too much faith in humans and assume that the majority are gonna get off their butts and actually work to advance the society, which is not realistic.

You need the insensitive, you don't work? You don't get money, and if you have no money, well you know the rest. Giving ppl freebies just because you think it's the right thing to do is an absurd idea that will send us backward, not forward.
There is incentive, it’s the way humans have been working for centuries.

When labor has ease of access, and the benefits are immediate for the community, people will work on the basis of mutual aid. It’s the same logic by which you clean your dishes without being paid to.

Read Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Kropotkin.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
There is incentive, it’s the way humans have been working for centuries.

When labor has ease of access, and the benefits are immediate for the community, people will work on the basis of mutual aid. It’s the same logic by which you clean your dishes without being paid to.

Read Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Kropotkin.
I clean my dishes because I'm a neat freak and like to have an empty clean sink. But I have buddies that are lazy and leave the sink full and dirty. How do you solve the problem of laziness? You're assuming that people will do stuff just because they want to improve the community. This is false, some people may do that, but a lot of other people won't care, this is why you have crap like this: Mod cut - copyrighted graphics removed. Post links, not pictures that are not your own.
If people cared enough, they would clean up and do work voluntarily, but that's not realistic. That's why you pay people to do jobs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-06-2018 at 06:52 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I clean my dishes because I'm a neat freak and like to have an empty clean sink. But I have buddies that are lazy and leave the sink full and dirty. How do you solve the problem of laziness? You're assuming that people will do stuff just because they want to improve the community. This is false, some people may do that, but a lot of other people won't care, this is why you have crap like this:

If people cared enough, they would clean up and do work voluntarily, but that's not realistic. That's why you pay people to do jobs.
No they wouldn't, not in a capitalist society.

When labor, time, and materials all have a numerical value, and private control, most do not have the incentive, power, authority, or will to organize their community.

But if the institutions of power were different, voluntary, and communal (free distribution of goods), and access to labor was easier, the equation by which people saw their lives and how they could benefit their own lives would radically change.

edit: a lot of the waste in your pictures come from personal production/money making activities, that cycle is built to discourage cooperative work.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
No they wouldn't, not in a capitalist society.

When labor, time, and materials all have a numerical value, and private control, most do not have the incentive, power, authority, or will to organize their community.

But if the institutions of power were different, voluntary, and communal (free distribution of goods), and access to labor was easier, the equation by which people saw their lives and how they could benefit their own lives would radically change.

edit: a lot of the waste in your pictures come from personal production/money making activities, that cycle is built to discourage cooperative work.
Once again you're too naive to trust that humans are gonna work for the love of working. Trust me, there are a lot of folks that are content in living like crap.

Btw, I lived in a similar country and know how a lot of this waste is created. It's actually people throwing their garbage and not caring for their environment.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Once again you're too naive to trust that humans are gonna work for the love of working. Trust me, there are a lot of folks that are content in living like crap.

Btw, I lived in a similar country and know how a lot of this waste is created. It's actually people throwing their garbage and not caring for their environment.
1. I never said it's do for a love of work, but because work offers immediate gain rather than external gains (wage).

Social influence, mutual aid, and long term benefits drive people when materialism, investment, and hierarchy demotivate them.

Furthermore work is based on a local level, just like in a family. Say what you want about a few slobs, the majority of people who live with others try to keep their house livable.

2. Consumption exists as a factor of production in capitalism, which is the root of waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education