U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:45 PM

33 posts, read 8,035 times

Advertisements

As the parent of 3 gifted children... I avoided and would never encourage attending an IB program (do not care for their political leanings). We tried the gifted program in a large school district and found it to be a waste of time and travel expense. Instead...our approach was a combination of actions. There was some grade skipping, took subjects such as math a few grades ahead (I had to provide travel from middle to high school), AP classes...even registered for some college classes and they took them remotely. Also..the school districts we dealt with fought us at every turn (different districts and states) Thank goodness we prevailed and our kids are doing very well as young adults.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:44 PM

1,565 posts, read 687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
As the parent of 3 gifted children... I avoided and would never encourage attending an IB program (do not care for their political leanings). We tried the gifted program in a large school district and found it to be a waste of time and travel expense. Instead...our approach was a combination of actions. There was some grade skipping, took subjects such as math a few grades ahead (I had to provide travel from middle to high school), AP classes...even registered for some college classes and they took them remotely. Also..the school districts we dealt with fought us at every turn (different districts and states) Thank goodness we prevailed and our kids are doing very well as young adults.
Everyone must make their decision as I said earlier I have taught all those level and as someone else stated the IB Diploma Program is by far the best college prep program that I have seen. I have students that have attended from the Ivyís to the state colleges and they all have come back praising the program for how it prepared them for college and these students come from all the different political and religious spectrums.

But as I said to each itís own and parents should do their due diligence and find out which program is best suited for their child.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,781,617 times
Thanks for all the wonderful inputs and knowledge sharing.

Another thing I learned is that the best High School here which is the Magnet school I was referring do not even have IB Programs. So I guess it does not follow that Magnet HS automatically has IB Program.

I would be keeping 2 addresses. Continue renting on the Magnet HS district and the house I am building on which has the HS that has AP program. The other huge benefit of the latter is that it has public school bus rides whereas the Magnet does not.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,781,617 times
I also really hate the residency requirement for Lottery magnet schools. It does not make sense. What makes sense to me is require the residency AFTER the selection and not before.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 PM

32,550 posts, read 39,948,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I also really hate the residency requirement for Lottery magnet schools. It does not make sense. What makes sense to me is require the residency AFTER the selection and not before.
Now you run into school attendance policies. Most public schools, if not all of them, aren't going to admit an out of area student to a limited program on the promise of a pending move into the district.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 PM

3,587 posts, read 3,390,597 times
Once kids are in high school, they are finally allowed to self-sort into honors and AP classes. This is why you can walk through a school that is 50% or more minority, but the classes are not integrated, because the kids self-sort into their academic level. So any high school that has a lot of AP classes, and good teachers, would allow a kid access to an excellent education in high school. Sometimes, diligent kids can earn two years of college credit while in high school.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:24 PM

3,587 posts, read 3,390,597 times
Quote:
We ran into the same thing. The US school system is designed to bring kids who are below the mean up to the middle, do some basic teaching of the middle, and ignores kids who are ahead of the mean. They can just sit there bored to tears for 9 years, until they hit high school, as long as it's a good district. We added music lessons, foreign language, taught the kids traditional math as fast as they could learn it, fed them books as fast and as hard as they could manage, had them write about what they read at home, since the school seemed to assign one writing assignment a quarter.

And here's the funny thing. The first one, into whom we poured the most, also has the worst ADHD (inherited). He HATES school, can't motivate himself to get through college. The middle one, also with ADHD, blossomed into an academic in an esoteric field, is whipping through school like a house on fire. And the third one, who does NOT have ADHD, we're too tired and burnt out to do much for him - and he's totally self-sufficient, does his work on his own, does really well in school. Basically, it seems that as long as the kid has an adequate IQ and the ability to do his own work, he's the one who's doing the best! The brightest one will probably be the last one to get his BA.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 806,628 times
I used to live in a city district that had either bad public high schools, or lottery admission magnet high schools. A couple of the high schools were among the best in the state, but the lackluster options for those who aren’t lucky enough to get in put us off completely so we moved to a suburban district. Our zoned high school is also among the best in the state. My daughter started taking pre-AP classes in 6th grade and is in AP classes for all possible subjects in 9th grade.

Another aspect to consider is the impact that class ranking has on college admission. It’s a lot harder to rank in the top 5% at a school filled with similarly gifted children. Our neighboring school district is notoriously competitive, with kids and parents going to extreme lengths to try to get a decent ranking.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 PM

85,535 posts, read 99,858,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Thanks for all the wonderful inputs and knowledge sharing.

Another thing I learned is that the best High School here which is the Magnet school I was referring do not even have IB Programs. So I guess it does not follow that Magnet HS automatically has IB Program.

I would be keeping 2 addresses. Continue renting on the Magnet HS district and the house I am building on which has the HS that has AP program. The other huge benefit of the latter is that it has public school bus rides whereas the Magnet does not.
No, not all "magnet" programs (sometimes called different names in different districts; my district uses the term "focus" school for them) are IB. The "magnet" is meant to attract kids to a school. It might be IB, it might be arts, STEM, etc.

I'll reiterate what NBP said, albeit a little differently. One of these places has to be your primary residence. Some states (Colorado is one of them) do allow intra-district open enrollment, but only on a space available basis.

Quote:
And what are you kids doing now? How far did they go in college, and where did they go? You don't have to name the schools, but were they Ivy, "public Ivy", nationally ranked schools, etc?

Old 11-27-2018, 09:35 PM

33 posts, read 8,035 times
What are they doing now....one is a medical doctor, one a medical researcher and the other in business. State schools that were "very selective" and I would never have encouraged my kids to go the "Ivy" or private/expensive route (unless the career could pay off the debt immediately). The state schools were nationally ranked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or