U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

73,816 posts, read 65,476,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So what. You think teachers shouldn't make observations of students in a classroom setting?
What is it, exactly, then, that she's calling "a disgrace"? What's the "it" in her statement "It's a disgrace"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

19,464 posts, read 12,849,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As a pediatric nurse, I have seen scenarios like this too. And yes, our doctors did talk to parents about discipline. But, it's not always a discipline problem.

Blaming parents, especially mothers, is a popular pastime. Have you ever heard of "Refrigerator Moms"? These were the moms whose kids were autistic. It was their fault. That theory is now thankfully discredited. Most moms with kids with behavior problems would change their kids if they could.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrig..._mother_theory

I had a cousin, now deceased, who, back in the 50s/early 60s was one of "those kids". Other moms would call my aunt and tell her what awful things my cousin had done while playing with their kids. My mom, my aunt's sister, later said she thought my cousin was probably "hyperactive" a term used in the later 60s/70s. Sadly, my cousin became an alcoholic and died youngish (50s) of his alcoholism.
I am a mother of three adult children. I do know that parenting is stressful and hard, from my experience. But I speak with an in law who works in a school about children with severe problems, some of which seem to stem from poor parenting or unstable home life. This person is compassionate, and professional. I believe what this person tells me. Others in my family have taught school for many years. I hear what they have said through the years.

Some kids need help, and it might be that they need better parenting or they might need a drug like ritalin or they might need tutoring. There is no magic bullet, like more discipline, or higher expectations, or more (or less) structure in the school day. Our culture puts a high premium on school success, but is not able to prioritize resources to make success achievable for the kids who have problems. And teachers are given more admin tasks and higher benchmarks, but are not respected for their professionalism or rewarded properly, in many cases.

I do not think there is one cause of this widespread problem. As long as school success is valued, there will be pressure on kids to conform to the way schools do things.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

31,573 posts, read 9,378,350 times
Because so many American parents allow it.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 2,838,187 times
We are descended from restless stock. All of our ancestors were restless and reckless enough to leave their country of origin, give up everything, and come to a new world.

It's unlikely the great grandchildren of these movers and shakers would be happy sitting all day in a chair completing worksheets, IMHO.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

15,421 posts, read 17,059,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We are descended from restless stock. All of our ancestors were restless and reckless enough to leave their country of origin, give up everything, and come to a new world.

It's unlikely the great grandchildren of these movers and shakers would be happy sitting all day in a chair completing worksheets, IMHO.
Of course, almost no school today expects children to sit all day and do worksheets. Have you been in a modern classroom?

Yes, worksheets are still used, but not all day and for different purposes.

7 Ideas for Replacing Worksheets with Wonder | wonderteacher.com

My grandchildren's elementary school classrooms were more tables than desks and the children at a table were a team that did many projects. They also had a science lab once a week and they had art and music once a week.They were active not just sitting.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
BMI

6,606 posts, read 3,923,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$.

American Big Pharma is a huge industry. The more pills they can force-feed kids, the more profit they can rake in from their complacent parents. The shrinks prescribing these psychoactives get kickbacks from Big Pharma.

Follow the money.
Agree....Big Pharma has big money...and wants more ....their goal....drug everyone in america.

Look at all those fancy expensive drug ads on TV ...every second commercial seems to be a
drug ad ...”ask your doctor....tell your doctor....”....each new drug name weirder than the next,
they’re almost running out of names to calls their new wonder pills....

TV networks of course are loving all the ad revenue ....it’s their drug

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

33,008 posts, read 18,002,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
Why does only America drug so many school children?
I'll respond to your question with a question that has an obvious answer:

Does big pharma profit from supplying these drugs?

No need to look further.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

343 posts, read 197,926 times
Those students with ADHD, ADD, and the like are put into special education classes and assigned a school psychologist along with a case carrier. They will be label as learning disabled. They will be put into regular education classes or special education classes and given modifications in the assigned curriculum.
This culture breeds victimhood for many parents and students. The expectations will be lowered by parents, teachers and the students. I would never give my kids prescription pills for these disabilities, nor would I want my kids in any "learning disabled" classroom. When these students are assigned the label "disabled", they will be signed up for social security disability and live a life of government assistance and medical care. I am not talking about students with physical handicaps or severe emotional disabilities.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

16,473 posts, read 9,080,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Those students with ADHD, ADD, and the like are put into special education classes and assigned a school psychologist along with a case carrier. They will be label as learning disabled. They will be put into regular education classes or special education classes and given modifications in the assigned curriculum.
This culture breeds victimhood for many parents and students. The expectations will be lowered by parents, teachers and the students. I would never give my kids prescription pills for these disabilities, nor would I want my kids in any "learning disabled" classroom. When these students are assigned the label "disabled", they will be signed up for social security disability and live a life of government assistance and medical care. I am not talking about students with physical handicaps or severe emotional disabilities.
That's simply not true. Most kids with ADHD are in regular classrooms and require no intervention whatsoever. Once my youngest was in middle school, we stopped informing his teachers that he was even taking Concerta. The school nurse and school psychologist know, as we note it on his med forms, but his teachers have the same behavioral and academic expectations of him as any other student, and that's the way we like it.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 2,631,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Not all kids with ADHD or ADD are put in special education classes. It's done on a case by case basis. My daughter has ADHD and is in the regular classroom full time. She has accommodations made during testing and that's it. She's never been labeled as learning disabled. They don't use that terminology anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or