U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM

7,250 posts, read 2,842,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Of course, almost no school today expects children to sit all day and do worksheets. Have you been in a modern classroom?

Yes, worksheets are still used, but not all day and for different purposes.

7 Ideas for Replacing Worksheets with Wonder | wonderteacher.com

My grandchildren's elementary school classrooms were more tables than desks and the children at a table were a team that did many projects. They also had a science lab once a week and they had art and music once a week.They were active not just sitting.
Yes, I am in the modern classrooms.

And they expect the children to walk down the halls silently, and NOT RUN ANYWHERE ON CAMPUS OR EVEN AT RECESS. Shhh, shhh, shhh is what you hear all the time. Don't run. Walk everywhere. Don't run. Stop running.

Shhhh.

Shhhh. Make good choices. Did you just make a good choice to skip down the hall? Was that a good choice to leave this napkin on the table at lunch? Don't talk in the restroom, please.

Shhh. Shhh.

This is two different elementary schools, in two different school districts. For God's sake. Let the kids run at recess, talk at lunch, skip down the hallway or even run if there's no one else in the hallway. These kids, when they are running and they see me, they pull up the brakes and look stricken and guilty. I raise my eyebrows and smile, run, kid!

Art and music ONCE A WEEK? That's not enough!

Last edited by ClaraC; 12-14-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:33 PM

73,823 posts, read 65,503,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was in school, there was a boy in my class (1st through 6th grade) who probably had ADHD. He was always the kid who couldn't sit still, always the boy in trouble for talking when he shouldn't have been, and always the one who got in trouble. He stood out amongst all the rest of us. This would've been the early 60's.

When in junior high, I knew a couple of boys (they were twins) who couldn't read for sh**. They weren't the rowdy, loud type...they were more ADD, then ADHD. No. Instead, they slunk through school, no doubt praying for the day they could drop out. That was late 60's, early 70's.

I would bet you went to school with kids that had ADHD. It just didn't have name back then.
There were no behavior problems like that. There was one boy, who had trouble learning to read in the early grades, but he had some other cognitive or mental health issue, too. He seemed to do ok in other subjects, though, as far as I could tell.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 PM

85,367 posts, read 99,673,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There were no behavior problems like that. There was one boy, who had trouble learning to read in the early grades, but he had some other cognitive or mental health issue, too. He seemed to do ok in other subjects, though, as far as I could tell.
Well, you went to an exceptional school then.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 PM

19,473 posts, read 9,180,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Way to completely miss my point. The pressure is to diagnose ADHD and ADD when none exists. That study I cited raised the very same questions. There are plenty of theorists out there who are beginning to question the entire dysfunctional system of how we educate our children, from Ken Robinson on.

And good for you regarding your school system, but there are plenty out there where that is exactly what happens. My kids school convened at 7:45 and didn't let out until 3:20, with at least a couple of hours of homework after that. Sports and extracurricular activities, while not required, are heavily encouraged.

As for PE, why is it necessary? It is nothing more than regimentation. Let the kids unwind in the middle of the day.
When you misrepresent reality, your whole point is questionable.

Please tell me in which public schools do students sit rigidly in desks for 8 hours a day.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:50 PM

19,473 posts, read 9,180,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What is it, exactly, then, that she's calling "a disgrace"? What's the "it" in her statement "It's a disgrace"?
I asked YOU a question.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM

73 posts, read 6,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We are descended from restless stock. All of our ancestors were restless and reckless enough to leave their country of origin, give up everything, and come to a new world.

It's unlikely the great grandchildren of these movers and shakers would be happy sitting all day in a chair completing worksheets, IMHO.

THAT is brilliant.

Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM

7,037 posts, read 4,331,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's simply not true. Most kids with ADHD are in regular classrooms and require no intervention whatsoever. Once my youngest was in middle school, we stopped informing his teachers that he was even taking Concerta. The school nurse and school psychologist know, as we note it on his med forms, but his teachers have the same behavioral and academic expectations of him as any other student, and that's the way we like it.
Right!? Like, huh? My son is in a regular classroom. ADHD is noted in his file because he takes Concerta, but he doesn't have an academic IEP. The IEP on file is more for his ASD and dysgraphia than ADHD itself. He struggles with a few things related to ASD but is otherwise a very bright kid. He went from being very behind in most subjects due to inability to focus long enough to do the work to above grade level in math and reading after titrating up his dose to a good level. It was such a dramatic difference in how he interacts with his environment and his ability to focus. He could read pretty well before, but he didn't have the focus and attention span to get through chapter books. Now he's completing books above grade level and will start the Harry Potter series soon.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

73 posts, read 6,880 times
I believe the opiate epidemic is a direct result of the first medication generation growing up.

And so does this doctor https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/08...eroin-addicts/

I took the stuff as an adult, prescribed, and agree with this article. I did not do heroin but ADHD drugs lead me to downers Xanax and alcohol. When ADD drugs where off your left feeling all anxious depressed and depleted. Then you need something for that. How can child drugging in school not inadvertently teach kids to do drugs and start the cycle of addiction ? They start so young they never learn to regulate emotion. Got a feeling you don't like then drink or do some drugs. Its all they know.

Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

20,456 posts, read 25,699,728 times
Why does only America drug so many school children ?

Is not just our children. It's also our adults.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

393 posts, read 146,164 times
Because when X amount of people in psychology major exist you need to keep pumping money to keep them from being broke. They have the power to prescribe drugs as eye doctors are able to some kinds of surgery and have access to specific only tools. Also when your economy manufacture chemicals you need to dump these chemicals somewhere. Like a confused parent will most likely be pressured under "doctor orders" to give children drugs because like the teacher "they are the experts". Then when we see school shootings and find that drugs, military, religion, selfish greed was involved.

Industries work this way. You make more products then you need. Give the better products to those who can afford but keep prices down by letting off lesser products to those who are unable to afford. Like you will find cheap fruit on a corner store in the open and the same fruit from the same tree is in an expensive store with everything using X standards. They taste the same but you paid more because of safety precautions.

Take the oil industry. Everyone knows you can make a car that runs off water, even your urine. But they do not want to release such a product because the prices of oil would drop. This was a solution made by a man with only a High School education, and some time to himself. Since then multiple patients of the water car has been made. We even have military tanks that runs on water. By water I do not mean by making turbines spin. I mean by separating Hydrogen from the OXygen and then burning the Hydrogen ( which turns into water ). Your tank would be full forever if possible a long enough time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or