Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 03:05 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,250,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
ADD/ADHD does not have to do with intelligence, it has to do with behavior. Do you want the job of deciding who gets to go to college and who becomes a ditch-digger? Have at it!
...And that behavior will affect academic performance. And many countries do decide, Germany for instance decides at a young age your track: Hauptschule, Realschule or Gymnasium. Gymnasium is equivalent to a College prep curriculum such as one might see at the Honors/AP levels of American Public schools, or a private Prep School education, Realschule which is for the middle third, more comprehensive and kids can apply for further educational opportunity of they do well, and Hauptschule which is vocational prep.

Kids are slotted early for this...6th Grade. The flip side is that much secondary education is free. It would be a total non starter here. But I can't say its a bad idea. But, everyone feels that way til its their kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post

Mathew

Stephanie

Shaina

To me dead children is a significant issue.
Those were apparently overdoses. You can die from overdosing on Tylenol, too. Ritalin does not pose a significant risk when used as directed.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:51 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
...And that behavior will affect academic performance. And many countries do decide, Germany for instance decides at a young age your track: Hauptschule, Realschule or Gymnasium. Gymnasium is equivalent to a College prep curriculum such as one might see at the Honors/AP levels of American Public schools, or a private Prep School education, Realschule which is for the middle third, more comprehensive and kids can apply for further educational opportunity of they do well, and Hauptschule which is vocational prep.

Kids are slotted early for this...6th Grade. The flip side is that much secondary education is free. It would be a total non starter here. But I can't say its a bad idea. But, everyone feels that way til its their kid.
Well, big whoop! Germany does a lot of other things we don't do, either. I think it's a terrible idea to decide that early that a kid is destined to be, as you so bluntly put it, a ditch digger. I don't give a d*mn what Germany is doing in that regard. Didn't need the lecture about the German education system either.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,286,103 times
Quote:

Mathew

Stephanie

Shaina

To me dead children is a significant issue.
There have been people who died or had adverse reactions from all kinds of pharmaceutical drugs. I'm not sure what the point here is.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:03 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,286,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, big whoop! Germany does a lot of other things we don't do, either. I think it's a terrible idea to decide that early that a kid is destined to be, as you so bluntly put it, a ditch digger. I don't give a d*mn what Germany is doing in that regard.
I agree. I hate pigeonholing kids especially at that young age.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:20 PM

50,143 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. I hate pigeonholing kids especially at that young age.
I agree completely.

I would have been one of those pigeonholed kids based on my junior high and high school performance. But I went on to pull myself up by the bootstraps in college, earning one degree in computer programming, two degrees in the geosciences, and a fourth degree in educational administration. I became a well-respected teacher and an award-winning school principal. I'm sure my junior and senior high school teachers would have been shocked, when perhaps at least a small part of the blame (certainly not all) in those days was uninspired teaching.

And I am far from being alone in that type of scenario.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:46 PM

105 posts, read 74,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Those were apparently overdoses. You can die from overdosing on Tylenol, too. Ritalin does not pose a significant risk when used as directed.
Those were not overdoses. Ritalin heart attacks warning urged after 51 deaths in US | Society ...
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...icineandhealth

Old 12-17-2018, 05:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Because pharma rules and same goes with the parents of the children. It's their mindsets. If the parents had a more holistic mindset they would NOT drug their chidren. This didn't go on when I was growing up.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:11 PM

105 posts, read 74,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Because pharma rules and same goes with the parents of the children. It's their mindsets. If the parents had a more holistic mindset they would NOT drug their chidren. This didn't go on when I was growing up.
We did not have child drugging in school when I grew up and I am not even "old." Pharma does rule, these people posting the first pro drugging website they find on Google don't get that all these "advocacy groups" are paid for by the pharmaceutical companies.

Like (CHADD) Children and Adults with ADHD chadd pharmaceutical companies - Google Search

Ya its that dirty.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
Quote:
Those were not overdoses. Ritalin heart attacks warning urged after 51 deaths in US | Society ...
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...icineandhealth
Please read the article more carefully because there's a lot to unpack there. The 51 deaths mentioned in that article may or may not (likely not) have resulted from heart issues. The causes of death in the U.S. remain unspecified, but the article does point out that two of nine deaths in the U.K. were heart related. The rest were the result of other conditions, including suicide.

The boy named Matthew included in another post died of small vessel damage. That's usually caused by long-term high blood pressure, which can result from a variety of conditions, including diabetes. In photos, Matthew is very clearly obese, which makes me wonder if there was something else going on. I know his parents say that he did not have any underlying cardiac issues, but I'm not so sure.

I do agree that any child whose parents are considering methylphenidate should insist upon screening for diabetes, high blood pressure, and hypercholesterolemia. For those who have any of those conditions, Ritalin is probably not a good choice, but for the vast majority of otherwise healthy people, methylphenidate can be used safely.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-17-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education