Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Go to the NIH website and you will find references to studies that have shown it does indeed work.

I'm not following why you're pleading the "special pleadings" fallacy.
I did as you suggested. Most of what I found was similar to this:
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/chinesemed.htm
"For most conditions, there is not enough rigorous scientific evidence to know whether TCM methods work for the conditions for which they are used."

Here's an article about acupuncture for ADHD: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...upuncture-adhd
"Promising but inconclusive findings"

The "special pleading" is your statement "They don't know how it works, exactly, but studies have shown that it does." Actually, studies are inconclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,852 times
At the same time, mental health issues are massively under-treated in the majority of countries, and not even recognized in many. There's this curious unspoken tradition that while every other organ in the body can go wrong, the brain is mysteriously immune to dysfunction. You just have to think your way out of it... Eye roll emoji

Absence of treatment or diagnosis is not equal to absence of the condition. You might ask questions (and make unwarranted conclusions) about why so many more people are treated for cancer in the US than in Algeria (which has some of the worst cancer survival rates in the world, and basically diabolical diagnosis and treatment). The Algerians must be doing something better I guess.

The "US overmedicates" is an easy target, since it has the largest healthcare system in the world, just like the lazily specious "Pharma companies make money" refrain - presented as some profound insight as to inquity, and the other BS that goes with this "thinking."

The bigger mystery is the health idiocracy that's building here. Vaccine misunderstanding was just the tip of the idiotberg.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:38 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Yes there is, because acupuncture works and western medicine recognizes this. They don't know how
it works, exactly, but studies have shown that it does.
Exactly. In states where insurance companies cover it, they typically cover it only for conditions that it's been proven to help. But then, OTOH, there's "medical acupuncture", which is a Western system developed in Europe, that has automatic approval by insurance, if practiced by an MD, even in states where insurance doesn't cover Asian acupuncture ("oriental medicine"). It's an interesting contradiction in the insurance business.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 3,166 times
I am curious as to how much profit pharmaceutical companies make off of medications whose patents have expired. Most every medication used to treat ADHD is off-patent now. Is there still a large profit to be made off these medications?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. In states where insurance companies cover it, they typically cover it only for conditions that it's been proven to help. But then, OTOH, there's "medical acupuncture", which is a Western system developed in Europe, that has automatic approval by insurance, if practiced by an MD, even in states where insurance doesn't cover Asian acupuncture ("oriental medicine"). It's an interesting contradiction in the insurance business.
Please show some citations of this proof.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:10 PM

190 posts, read 128,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maunu Virta View Post
I am curious as to how much profit pharmaceutical companies make off of medications whose patents have expired. Most every medication used to treat ADHD is off-patent now. Is there still a large profit to be made off these medications?

Are you kidding, those dirtbags never stop. Now they want to drug really small children. Google the headline in bold for the article.

With patent extension up for grabs, Shire agrees to test Vyvanse in preschoolers

To hear Shire ($SHPG) tell it, there aren't many adequate and well-controlled drug studies in preschool-aged children with ADHD. But never fear, the company says: It's agreed to a written request by the FDA to investigate its ADHD drug Vyvanse in children aged 4 to 5, with a potential 6-month exclusivity boost for the drug on the line.

The Irish drugmaker is currently working on designing three trials to make up the pediatric clinical trial program, which it expects to begin in the first half of 2015. It pegs the prevalence of ADHD in the preschool population at between 3% and 5%

While Vyvanse already has its IP shield set through 2023, extra protection for its lead drug certainly can't hurt.... fiercepharma. /regulatory/patent-extension-up-for-grabs-shire-agrees-to-test-vyvanse-preschoolers

Old 12-19-2018, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
Are you kidding, those dirtbags never stop. Now they want to drug really small children. Google the headline in bold for the article.

With patent extension up for grabs, Shire agrees to test Vyvanse in preschoolers

To hear Shire ($SHPG) tell it, there aren't many adequate and well-controlled drug studies in preschool-aged children with ADHD. But never fear, the company says: It's agreed to a written request by the FDA to investigate its ADHD drug Vyvanse in children aged 4 to 5, with a potential 6-month exclusivity boost for the drug on the line.

The Irish drugmaker is currently working on designing three trials to make up the pediatric clinical trial program, which it expects to begin in the first half of 2015. It pegs the prevalence of ADHD in the preschool population at between 3% and 5%

While Vyvanse already has its IP shield set through 2023, extra protection for its lead drug certainly can't hurt.... fiercepharma. /regulatory/patent-extension-up-for-grabs-shire-agrees-to-test-vyvanse-preschoolers

And you're sure these children aren't in need of these medications? Honestly, I trust the experts and clinicians when it comes to these things.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:16 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I did as you suggested. Most of what I found was similar to this:
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/chinesemed.htm
"For most conditions, there is not enough rigorous scientific evidence to know whether TCM methods work for the conditions for which they are used."

Here's an article about acupuncture for ADHD: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...upuncture-adhd
"Promising but inconclusive findings"

The "special pleading" is your statement "They don't know how it works, exactly, but studies have shown that it does." Actually, studies are inconclusive.

Inconclusive is not how you characterized it, and that statement quoted is inclusive of all Traditional Chinese medicine practices, some of which seem dubious at best. Below is what the website says specifically about acupuncture, which happens to support the text you've associated with " special pleadings". At the bottom is included a statement on the efficacy of back surgery to relive chronic pain. One could easily conclude that it "doesn't work", while costing a helluva lot more than acupuncture.

NIH: "What the Science Says About the Effectiveness of Acupuncture
Results from a number of studies suggest that acupuncture may help ease types of pain that are often chronic such as low-back pain, neck pain, and osteoarthritis/knee pain. It also may help reduce the frequency of tension headaches and prevent migraine headaches. Therefore, acupuncture appears to be a reasonable option for people with chronic pain to consider. However, clinical practice guidelines are inconsistent in recommendations about acupuncture.

The effects of acupuncture on the brain and body and how best to measure them are only beginning to be understood. Current evidence suggests that many factors—like expectation and belief—that are unrelated to acupuncture needling may play important roles in the beneficial effects of acupuncture on pain.

Read more about acupuncture for these pain conditions and other conditions..." (deleted for the sake of brevity)

Abstract
"There have only been a few randomized controlled trials of surgical treatment of chronic low back pain caused by degenerative disc disease. Fusion surgery has been compared primarily with nonoperative treatment, whereas disc arthroplasty has been compared with fusion surgery. The results for either of the two surgical procedures are modest in terms of pain relief and improved function."

Old 12-19-2018, 03:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
ADD and ADHD - mostly made-up syndromes/diagnoses:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...itious-disease

Old 12-19-2018, 03:40 PM

190 posts, read 128,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maunu Virta View Post
And you're sure these children aren't in need of these medications? Honestly, I trust the experts and clinicians when it comes to these things.
There is nothing physically wrong with the children its the adults in their lives who object to their behavior. Its called behavioral medicine.

Psychiatry did nothing but screw up my life. I got diabetes from their poison and have to inject insulin every day now.

Everyone here is so focused on the ADHD and the drugs for that but it rarely stops there. Usually daily amphetamine intake causes insomnia, anxiety and depression too so the next thing is more pills. Usually those anti depressants for anxiety that never work but then the kid has a 'manic' episode and gets labeled bipolar and MORE pills get added. Then those 'bipolar' mood remover feel like a tired zombie drugs short out the brain so you can't feel so the person quits taking them and has all kinds of withdrawal reactions that are then used as 'proof' they 'need' more drugs.

Its like that nursery rhyme "I don't know why she swallowed the fly" So she swallowed a spider...

I don't know why I swallowed the Adderall but it gave me anxiety so I swallowed some Zoloft, I don't know why I swallowed some Zoloft but then I got manic so I swallowed some Risperdal, I don't know why I swallowed some Risperdal... I do know why cause the experts and clinicians never took this brain poison themselves and have no idea what they are doing all they know is the literature the drug reps dropped off.

I had to go to drug rehab to get off the ADHD speed and anxiety pills. It was a place for dual diagnosis and almost everyone there was a psych med kid and no one had anything nice to say about those quacks.

This thread is 18 pages long and over 3000 views not one person said "I was given psych drugs as a child and am grateful" . Almost everyone, the younger people in the rehab had nightmare stories about 'meds' as a child, same thing at the AA meeting we went to.

You will never meet an adult who has something nice to say about being given these drugs as a child. Never.

Last edited by DirtBikeRider; 12-19-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education