Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,284,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You did not see people who could not pay attention, but they were still there.

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/history
Right. Plenty of kids had problems with their attention span, but there wasn't a diagnosis for it back then. It's hard to believe that "all" kids had perfect attention spans until recent times. Autism also wasn't diagnosed as often. Just because these disorders had no names doesn't mean they didn't exist.

There is still very little understanding of neurological differences in people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,256,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What I don't understand, is why has there been this explosion of supposed ADHD cases? When I was in grade school, no one was diagnosed, and everyone was able to pay attention in class.
No, everyone was not. My own grandfather left school at age 12 because of what we now strongly suspect was ADHD. He turned 93 recently, and he's had issues with focus and impulse control for his entire life.

ADHD may be over-diagnosed in American children, and I personally believe that some of the kids displaying symptoms may actually be battling sleep issues, either because they have legitimate sleep disorders or because lifestyle choices are preventing children from receiving adequate rest. Sleep deprivation can mimic ADHD. I further think that the widespread belief that physical activity improves ADHD symptoms might begin with physical activity improving sleep. However, I do believe that ADHD is a legitimate diagnosis, and appropriate treatment, whether or not that includes medication, can make a profound difference for those who have the disorder.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-13-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,011,384 times
Quote:
What I don't understand, is why has there been this explosion of supposed ADHD cases? When I was in grade school, no one was diagnosed, and everyone was able to pay attention in class.
Back in 2007 when my youngest son was diagnosed with autism, I had a long conversation with the director of early childhood services for our school district.

I don’t remember how it came up but I found out then that many educators who had been at the helm during the ASD “tsunami” that started mid-1990’s; had always believed that ADHD was part of the spectrum.

Many doctors would not agree but to be honest; the educators had more answers than most of the doctors I’d talked to & nobody had a lot of answers. Sadly; it’s such a controversial diagnosis that the research sat on a shelf until the recent donations of post-mortem brain tissue became available.

I suspect as research continues; there will be new information about ADHD as well.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 AM

105 posts, read 74,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You are quite wrong.

There are clear differences in the brains of children with ADHD although the scans cannot yet be used to diagnose the condition.

https://www.understood.org/en/learni...SAAEgI_BPD_BwE

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0216105919.htm
Those studies are quite wrong.

Lancet Psychiatry Needs to Retract the ADHD-Enigma Study
MIA Report: Authors’ conclusion that individuals with ADHD have smaller brains is belied by their own data

Quote:
Lancet Psychiatry, a UK-based medical journal, recently published a study titled Subcortical brain volume differences in participants with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adults: A cross-sectional mega-analysis. According to the paper’s 82 authors, the study provides definitive evidence that individuals with ADHD have altered, smaller brains. But as the following detailed review reveals, the study does not come close to supporting such claims.
Read more, alot more: https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/04...-enigma-study/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-14-2018 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: please just quote a snippet - three sentences

Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 AM

105 posts, read 74,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
No, everyone was not. My own grandfather left school at age 12 because of what we now strongly suspect was ADHD. He turned 93 recently, and he's had issues with focus and impulse control for his entire life.
ADHD the only "disease" that makes you live longer.

"The study suggests that if people with the gene make it through the risky years of adolescence and young adulthood, it can have positive benefits. For example, a common trait in ADHD is an inability to sit still. That can prompt individuals to avoid a sedentary lifestyle - and the common diseases associated with it. The gene variant increased longevity mostly in women, not altogether surprising since risky behaviors and addiction are more often seen in young men.

The study was conducted among 1,000 seniors aged 90 to 109 years old who lived in the Leisure World retirement community in Laguna Woods, California. The group was part of a 14,000-person collection of highly educated people who had first been studied in 1981.

The researchers found that the gene was more common in the oldest participants, and the gene carriers were also more physically active than their peers who lacked it. Researchers suspect that they are more likely to seek arousal and, as a result, are more likely to perform physical activity. This finding was true in 1981 as well as today." https://www.medicaldaily.com/gene-re...ve-long-244252

Unless you are born this day and age and spend your life consuming amphetamines and the psychiatric drugs that follow after years on the ADHD amphetamines.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:06 AM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The worst situation I ever saw was at the junior high where I student taught many moons ago. Like most student teachers, I was struggling through my student teaching (actually, I wasn't struggling...but there's a lot to learn in student teaching, and most of it is teaching by doing). Midway through the semester, I said to my sponsor teacher, "How come there are so many students here who are on Ritalin? It was over 20% of my students. My sponsor teacher said, "It's a disgrace. And if you ask everyone of those parents who their child's physician is, it'll be the same doctor in every case. And they couldn't blame it on one doctor in a small town...this was in a large suburban area of Rochester, NY.
She never answered your question. Usually, the path to Ritalin starts with the teachers telling the parents their child can't sit still in class, or can't focus on their work. Notice how she side-steeped that.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:08 AM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You really sure about that?

The minute I read your post, I immediately thought of three kids from elementary school -- back in the 1950s -- who were ADD or ADHD. And I just looked up Facebook one of my primary contenders, and sure enough there he was...a guy who literally posted the same photo on his Facebook page...21 times.

But I'll tell you where some of those kids may have been -- in a special ed classroom that they didn't need to be in. And where were those sped classrooms? In the old days there were often down some dead-end hallway, or in the case of my junior-senior high school, literally in a room behind the stairs.
I should have said, "everyone in my experience, in two different grade schools".No rambunctious kids, no acting out.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:00 AM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
She never answered your question. Usually, the path to Ritalin starts with the teachers telling the parents their child can't sit still in class, or can't focus on their work. Notice how she side-steeped that.
So what. You think teachers shouldn't make observations of students in a classroom setting?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:01 AM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
I should have said, "everyone in my experience, in two different grade schools".No rambunctious kids, no acting out.
Ruth, now I just think you're making stuff up. I've never been in a school where no kids acted out. Jeepers.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 AM

91 posts, read 70,668 times
Read: ADHD NATION
Children, Doctors, Big Pharma, and the Making of an American Epidemic
By Alan Schwarz

It explains a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education