U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,384,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Re-write:

That's easier to read.

To answer your question. The goal of instruction is to enable the student the ability to teach themselves.

If you can't teach yourself, then your education on how to do this is lacking in some area. But most likely the reason is you lack significant motivation. Meaning that if you don't achieve this goal there is no harsh outcome for you. You aren't doing this because you enjoy it, but you think of it as something you have to do. If you want to force yourself to do something, then you need to gain leverage on yourself to do that. Only you can answer what that might be, since none of us here know you. This is another reason why some prefer to attend at workshop in whatever it is they want to learn about then simply get the book. They need someone else to provide the structure.
Yes, I guess I'm better off looking for free or reduced price classes and programs, as I never stick with my attempts to teach myself. I agree that it's probably more of a mindset. If I'm learning along with a friend or classmate, there's an amount of accountability, but if I'm just doing it by myself, there's no accountability. No one cares if I complete the course, and I probably have more important things I could be doing, so what's the point?

I also question the quality of some forms of online instruction.

Last edited by krmb; 12-28-2018 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 PM

12,035 posts, read 13,408,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Yes, I guess I'm better off looking for free or reduced price classes and programs, as I never stick with my attempts to teach myself. I agree that it's probably more of a mindset. If I'm learning along with a friend or classmate, there's an amount of accountability, but if I'm just doing it by myself, there's no accountability. No one cares if I complete the course, and I probably have more important things I could be doing, so what's the point?

I also question the quality of some forms of online instruction.
What I have put in bold above keeps coming across in your remarks.

"...and I probably have more important things to do." Anything at all is probably more important from the sounds of it as you have zero self-sustaining motivation. You need a black strap across the butt or a taser to keep in motion from the sounds of it. The quality of online instruction comment is a red herring. You aren't doing anything anyway.

Accept that you need an teacher authority to provide what you cannot provide for yourself, and stop fooling around with do-it-yourself that you don't do.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
What I have put in bold above keeps coming across in your remarks.

"...and I probably have more important things to do." Anything at all is probably more important from the sounds of it as you have zero self-sustaining motivation. You need a black strap across the butt or a taser to keep in motion from the sounds of it. The quality of online instruction comment is a red herring. You aren't doing anything anyway.

Accept that you need an teacher authority to provide what you cannot provide for yourself, and stop fooling around with do-it-yourself that you don't do.
Real classes are expensive, though, and I'm not going to be able to take out student loans for the rest of my life, although right now it does sound tempting. I don't know how it all works. I might need to meet with a student loan debt counselor or something, but I already owe quite a bit, so much that I don't think I qualify for federal aid anymore, and if I can find some kind of loophole, I better make sure whatever I take counts toward a decent income because then I really will be maxed out.

It's not so much needing an authority; it's more needing accountability and structure. I can't seem to provide myself with those things. When I'm taking a MOOC class online, I may watch about an hour's worth of lecture videos, but then I get tired and go do something else. Since it's self-paced, there's nothing to really keep me engaged with it, and it's actually pretty hard to try to come up with my own forms of engagement without reliable feedback.

Plus, just physically keeping up with the class is hard. There are no email reminders (no deadlines, remember?), and then there's just the question of "what am I really working for?" I mean, those classes aren't accredited. The most I'll get is a certificate of completion, so how does that tell me if I've really learned anything in the first place? I'm aware that teaching myself is a skill I need to master, but I'm used to traditional learning, and I find the process of teaching myself too demanding and somewhat confusing.

It might be better, although still fairly difficult, for me to just figure out what i want to do and "fill in the gaps" as I go along. I don't like this kind of learning if I'm paying for a real class that will lead to CEU's or another degree, but it seems like the kind of learning I'm best suited for when teaching myself something.

I wish real college wasn't so expensive, though.

I know someone earlier mentioned community and continuing education programs. I emailed one of the local state colleges around here to see what they offer.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:07 PM

I just don't know how all of this works. How do people teach themselves new skills needed for a new job? For that matter, how do they they know what skills they need in the first place?

Old 12-30-2018, 11:12 AM

2,211 posts, read 914,558 times
Quote:
I studied to be a teacher, so, on paper, teaching myself shouldn't be a problem, and maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to devote the time and energy to creating my own self-study curriculum while I'm between jobs, but it seems like, regardless of how interested I claim I am in learning something, I simply cannot teach it to myself.

Some common problems / patterns I have are:

"Studying" (really just watching instructional videos and maybe completing a few simple online exercises or just guessing the answer system since it's mostly multiple choice) the subject until I'm sick of it. At the end of these sessions, I can answer multiple choice tests, but I can't really do much else.

"Learning" part of a concept but never following through on anything else. For example, I might learn the alphabet in a foreign language but never progress from there. I eventually lose interest, leave, and have to start all over again when I come back.

I live in a place very close to Mexico, so I need to learn Spanish.

I'm from an age group that is supposed to be knowledgeable about computers, so I need to learn at least one coding language.

In theory, I know how to teach myself these things, but in practice, I never get anything done and just wish I could afford a good old fashioned face-to-face class.
You have a lot of options!

1. Some universities post entire classes online. Look up MIT OpenCourseWare; you can learn some fundamental math or computer science from some of the best professors in the world - for free.

2. Buy a Chegg subscription and a textbook with lots of practice problems at the end of each chapter. Chegg with give you step by step solutions.

3. Youtube. I've learned a ton from free Youtube tutorials.

4. Coursera, Lynda.com, etc; especially for coding languages.

All of these will be far cheaper than taking a class, but more difficult. It's hard to self motivate, but it helps if you're passionate about what you're studying.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 AM

5 posts, read 351 times
Here are some tips that can help you to starting-up:

-Learn new language.
-Teach yourself a branch of mathematics or science.
-Give Respect other's and take Respect
-Master a new sport.
-Be able to run a business and manage effectively.
- Be Confident to Speak in public.
-Train your communication and persuasion skills.
I think these tips are Enough to teaching Oneself.
Thanks.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM

2,034 posts, read 1,610,737 times
Quote:
I studied to be a teacher, so, on paper, teaching myself shouldn't be a problem, and maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to devote the time and energy to creating my own self-study curriculum while I'm between jobs, but it seems like, regardless of how interested I claim I am in learning something, I simply cannot teach it to myself.

Some common problems / patterns I have are:

"Studying" (really just watching instructional videos and maybe completing a few simple online exercises or just guessing the answer system since it's mostly multiple choice) the subject until I'm sick of it. At the end of these sessions, I can answer multiple choice tests, but I can't really do much else.

"Learning" part of a concept but never following through on anything else. For example, I might learn the alphabet in a foreign language but never progress from there. I eventually lose interest, leave, and have to start all over again when I come back.

I live in a place very close to Mexico, so I need to learn Spanish.

I'm from an age group that is supposed to be knowledgeable about computers, so I need to learn at least one coding language.

In theory, I know how to teach myself these things, but in practice, I never get anything done and just wish I could afford a good old fashioned face-to-face class.
Probably mentioned in other posts "Open Course Ware" you need to google it and you get websites like this https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

You can take classes at UNAM, a very good Mexican university Foreigners at the UNAM | Coordinación de Estudios de Posgrado | UNAM

There is also University of South Africa - all online university and relatively cheap.

Coding - learn a CMS really well instead of coding, something like opensource OctoberCMS and Wordpress. If you want coding you need C/C++ and VisualBasic to start. Your local library will have a get started books on those. Really does not matter if they are 10 years old or so to get basics down.

to learn Spanish and other languages search on Defense Language Institute materials or Foreign Service Institute language materials. These courses were made by the US government and are copyright free so a lot of companies are "giving them away." Live Lingua has some downloads.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Probably mentioned in other posts "Open Course Ware" you need to google it and you get websites like this https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

You can take classes at UNAM, a very good Mexican university Foreigners at the UNAM | Coordinación de Estudios de Posgrado | UNAM

There is also University of South Africa - all online university and relatively cheap.

Coding - learn a CMS really well instead of coding, something like opensource OctoberCMS and Wordpress. If you want coding you need C/C++ and VisualBasic to start. Your local library will have a get started books on those. Really does not matter if they are 10 years old or so to get basics down.

to learn Spanish and other languages search on Defense Language Institute materials or Foreign Service Institute language materials. These courses were made by the US government and are copyright free so a lot of companies are "giving them away." Live Lingua has some downloads.
Those are all awesome suggestions, but I feel like I need to find an online accountability partner to help me follow through. Really, just an email reminder would be enough, and I'm pretty sure there's a way to set those up, but I'm just not very organized and would probably spend more time than justified just setting up a system.

I guess I'll type some things into Google, though, and see what I come up with.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM

8,386 posts, read 8,703,777 times
I hope that by now someone has already mentioned that you should be able to find either a MeetUp group for learning Spanish, or a group at a local library, perhaps. Or start one!

Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I hope that by now someone has already mentioned that you should be able to find either a MeetUp group for learning Spanish, or a group at a local library, perhaps. Or start one!
I think I'm probably going to have to do things in person around here. Maybe I could ask around, though. This is a pretty small community. I might be able to place an ad on Craigslist but I'm not sure. I do know that they started charging to place ads in certain sections, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education